Home  ›  Forums  ›

Accessories

all discussions

show all 18 replies

I don't quite understand...

AwpdsR

Aug 11, 2006, 9:33 PM
... why people will spend $50 at the least for a Bluetooth headset. I have a standard, corded earbud headset i got at Walmart for $7. I know that there is no cord, but it also drains your phone's battery! 😕 🙄
matrix2004

Aug 11, 2006, 10:56 PM
Duh....that's why, the DAMN cord.
diana1gd

Aug 12, 2006, 10:16 AM
Use a bluetooth headset for a couple days...you'll never go back. I use mine at work, while i'm driving, and even while i'm at home cleaning...it's super convenient. Earbuds are irritating and uncomfortable and the cords get in the way. BTW, you can probably find a basic BT headset for like $20 or $30.
AwpdsR

Aug 12, 2006, 10:20 AM
diana1gd said:
you can probably find a basic BT headset for like $20 or $30.

where?
cellphoneguy

Aug 12, 2006, 11:36 AM
ebay or radio shack 🙄
diana1gd

Aug 12, 2006, 12:01 PM
yes, ebay or radioshack, even amazon.com. there's even a new one at cingular for $39.99 plus a $10 mail in rebate. $30 and it comes with 3 changeable color covers 🙂
sockit.net

Aug 18, 2006, 1:04 AM
Id recommend trying them in a store first... Ive had some that didnt fit my ear that well or were kinda clunky... After you find the model you want DEFINANTLY go buy them online.... You will save big $$$...

-Todd
http://www.sockit.net »
Sensible

Dec 12, 2006, 12:14 AM
... if you're going to change the subject.
jareddude42

Dec 12, 2006, 9:56 PM
yeha but if you fall in love with som,e in the store beware lots of motorola (and im sure other brand headsets) have been faked and there is tons on sale on ebay that look exactly like say the h700 but they are total fakes check motorola.com for tips to spot a fake
Sensible

Dec 13, 2006, 12:13 AM
Well, somebody ought to do it.
krickt

Dec 14, 2006, 1:44 PM
I sell a Jabra for 29.99.
Sensible

Dec 12, 2006, 9:59 AM
I'm totally with you, but apparently we won't find many in agreement here. Phonescoop visitors are probably not your average practical consumers.

I suppose we won't convert anyone (least of all phone marketers), but in the interest of better mutual understanding, here's how it looks to us practical types:

Bluetooth = more money
Bluetooth = less privacy
Bluetooth = less fidelity
Bluetooth = more battery usage
Bluetooth = more batteries needed
Bluetooth = more bulk
Bluetooth = more to break or go bad
Bluetooth = more to go wrong (see other replies)
Bluetooth = more money to replace
Bluetooth = more "stuff" to store (like you, I have already have a small drawerful of headsets, headphones, etc.)
Bluetooth = yet another proprieta...
(continues)
THEMAN

Dec 12, 2006, 1:02 PM
bluetooth=convience
bluetooth=cheaper, as headsets are universal
bluetooth=not having to pay for ringtones when you can use obex and transfer songs via bluetooth.
bluetooth=free to send pictures
bluetooth=cheaper usb dongle for the cpu.
Sensible

Dec 12, 2006, 1:25 PM
Correct, although I'm not sure about "cheaper," especially since I already have 3.5mm headsets that are universal to my other phone devices.

Yes, in many situations, BT is a convenience and adds capability if you're into some of those things. You're welcome to your preference.

But it also has its downside. Point is, why ONLY Bluetooth?

PS: For that matter, I also have a box full of standard USB cables that work pretty well, including a long but very, very tiny one.
Sensible

Dec 12, 2006, 1:40 PM
Is Bluetooth transmission encrypted or otherwise protected against snoopers?

If not, how far can the signal be picked up?

(Remember this problem with analog phones?)
DMunc

Dec 12, 2006, 6:17 PM
Most bluetooth devices only work within 30 feet of the device.
Sensible

Dec 12, 2006, 6:45 PM
In other words, a snoop can be in range while inconspicuously out of earshot? Is the transmission analog? Encrypted?

Between this and RFID credit cards, seems like a whole new world open to wise guys.
jareddude42

Dec 12, 2006, 10:00 PM
the headset would have to be paired to your device(phone, pda) and usually requires a pin code to access it and permission from the phone usually and only one headset can be paired at once so it is pretty secure
J0hnnyM

Dec 16, 2006, 8:56 AM
Two words:

Status Quo.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.