Home  ›  Forums  ›

Accessories

all discussions

show all 12 replies

How Often Should You Charge Your Battery?

Raisingdawn84

Apr 7, 2006, 1:06 PM
I was wondering how often your battery for your cell phone should be charged? I heard from a few people that you should allow your battery to charge all the way down, then charge it right back up to a full charge because your battery is designed for that type of charging. But I have also heard from other people that it doesn't matter how often you charge your battery.
I have a LG VX8100 with the standard issued battery and it usually lasts me 2 full days before it needs to be charged again. Though sometimes, depending the amount of calls that I have gotten during that time, it usually only lasts me a day and a half.
Some information on this will be of use.
Thanks
ESmurf

Apr 7, 2006, 2:08 PM
Back in the day cell phone batteries had memory cells in them. They recommended then that you let your phone die completely before charging it again and don't stop in the middle of a charge, let it finish before unplugging it. Some people haven't been able to think beyond that. Now batteries don't have memory cells. They are still, however, batteries. Don't abuse them. If you're running low on juice charge it, if you're leaving the area you have your phone charging and need to bring it with you, unplug it. It won't hurt it but don't leave it on the charger 24/7 and don't keep just giving it 5 minutes worth of life letting it die and then repeating this process.
WILLPHASE

Apr 7, 2006, 2:53 PM
Amen..you tell them man, my biggest problem here at my store is batteries and their life spans...i have customers coming in here saying that their phone is'nt holding a charge, and when i open the back of the phone to see whats the deal is and the batt has a hump on it that lets the batterie spin on my desk....people ssssttttooooppppp CHARGING YYOOURR PPHHOONNEESS OOOOVVVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRNNIIIIGGGGHHHHTTT!!!!! .....morons
Samsung All The Way

Apr 9, 2006, 4:27 PM
🙂 i charge mine regularly. usually if you have about 1 or 2 bars of battery left and you don't think it wont live one more day thats when you charge it. i own a samsung currently as judging by my profile name i have the sch-a850 and i charge it maybe twice a week or once every 3-4 days. some motorolas i have heard still use memory cells or they just get rid of everything when you charge it so if you get a moto be careful.
leamin

May 5, 2006, 4:25 PM
Let me clear it up once and for all. Your battery has charging cycles (Only so many of them). Lets assume for arguments sake that your phone's battery has 200. If you charge every day you will burn through your charge cycles (By the way, ALL batteries have cells.. still!) Your battery won't even last a year. Now if you charge every 4 days your battery will last 4 times as long. The battery makeup is now Lithium Ion instead of the Nickel Metal Hydride or Nickel Cadium. the older Nickel batteries developed a "memory" and the Li Ion supposedly don't according to the manufacturers. But other factors play an even bigger role such as leaving your phone plugged in while your phone is on all night and leaving your phone in your car in extreme...
(continues)
alternals

May 6, 2006, 12:21 PM
An avergae 800mah lion battery has about 375 charging cycles available, the worst thing that will shorten your battery life is charging it for an hour at home, jumping in your car and charging it for a half hour, getting to work and charging it for another few hours, you just very likely used/wasted 3 cycles there alone. Also leaving your phone on while charging it will not directly do harm but for many phones while its on and charging everytime you get a call, a text, an alarm/alert, etc... your losing an extra cycle. Im just offering advice as there can be many more factors involved in battery life.
Whitehorse

May 5, 2006, 11:18 PM
It's still good to once every month or two allow your battery to fully discharge to a point where the phone will not power on, they fully charge it. Even with the advanced batteries that are supposed to be impervious to the "memory" effect, this can prevent & fix problems.

All the posts regarding overcharging are GREAT!!! For the love of beans, if we could get the customer trained to charge properly we would have fewer problems...
Rich Brome

May 6, 2006, 3:40 PM
Raisingdawn84 said:
... I heard from a few people that you should allow your battery to charge all the way down, then charge it right back up to a full charge because your battery is designed for that type of charging. ...

With today's Li-Ion batteries, that is true for the first 1-3 charges, but after that it shouldn't matter.
spum

May 6, 2006, 4:56 PM
It actually shouldn't matter at all. The old carbon batteries and Nickel Cadmium batteries had the memory problem, and they've tainted the reputation of rechargeable batteries every since.
Rich Brome

May 6, 2006, 5:57 PM
I've had meny new phones - even recently - that came with those instructions. The first few charges should be full cycles.
spum

May 7, 2006, 1:34 PM
Well, it definitely doesn't hurt anything to do that. However, it doesn't make sense to me that you would need to do a full charge/discharge when the battery comes with a partial charge on it. If the battery was going to have memory problems, wouldn't they be sent with a full charge or no charge to avoid memory problems at all cost?
alternals

May 12, 2006, 8:56 AM
The battery comes with a partial charge because that occurs naturally during production, they dont bother draining or charging fully in order to speed up production and reduce costs (in other words to be cheap)
spum

May 12, 2006, 4:11 PM
I don't know of any other kinds of rechargeable batteries that come with a charge on them BECAUSE of memory problems.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.