Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

Is GPRS 10 actually EDGE?

zmoore25

Aug 3, 2005, 1:17 PM
Looking at the Motorola V3 RAZR I see that the data transmission specs say that it is a GPRS 10 device. Another well respected source has said that this is equivalent to EDGE. I know EDGE codes for three times the number of bits in the same radio channel and that is what gives it its unique broadband characteristics. I also know that the "10" in GPRS 10 indicates the number of down/up channels. So, again, an EDGE device with the same number of channels as a GPRS device should still transmit 3 times the data since it is using a different modulation method, correct?
Vox Dei

Aug 3, 2005, 3:18 PM
Ok my knowledge is a little fuzy with GPRS but from what i understand it works like this. yes GPRS 10 tells how many channels it can use at once. If the phone is using all of it's channels for download then yes it can come close to EDGE. How ever in order to aproach edge speed this means your GPRS phone cannot upload anything (which is very unlikely because your phone cannot tell the network what to download). EDGE can do this both ways though without haveing that same problem. Does this make sense?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.