Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 12 replies

What is the difference in carriers with wireless data

chormel

Apr 6, 2005, 5:16 PM
I'm considering changing from Verizon to Sprint because they offer a particular phone that I want. Another consideration is the cost of Internet access - Sprint is ~$15 per mo and Verizon is ~$45. Can anyone tell me the difference in the 2 wireless data services?
verizonmatt

May 26, 2005, 3:27 PM
Coverage and also data through put in the network. Verizon has the fastest through put of any natinal carriers says consurmer reports and vzw's own network test men and women. 😁
NHCharmedOne

Jun 1, 2005, 8:29 PM
lol go to t-mobile, why would anyone pay that???? you would have to be nuts!!
stevelvl

Jun 2, 2005, 12:13 AM
NHCharmedOne said:

why would any one pay more insted of going with t-mob? t-mob is 2g with a data speed of 14.4 KB/sec sprint is 3g with 144 KB/sec scingular has a simalar data speed and verizon has limited ev-do with 2.5 MB/s

let me see it all i did was want to e-mail sure t-mob would be great if i want to sent a 1 mb file it would take me literally hours with t-mobs connection sprint would take me almost an hour and verizon would take me mins.

why would any one pay more? time is money
NHCharmedOne

Jun 2, 2005, 12:15 AM
well i think its dumb to pay almost what a plan cost, just for data. maybe its just me, but i'm not rich by anymeans, so i go where i can save money, not use my phone to send big files...
Vatothe0

Jun 9, 2005, 2:13 PM
You must have Cricket Wireless
mark0000

Jun 11, 2005, 6:46 PM
stevelvl said:
NHCharmedOne said:

why would any one pay more insted of going with t-mob? t-mob is 2g with a data speed of 14.4 KB/sec sprint is 3g with 144 KB/sec scingular has a simalar data speed and verizon has limited ev-do with 2.5 MB/s

Hey, I don't mean to be jerk but you don't really have your facts straight on speed.
Tmo uses GPRS (2G) ave speed about 40kb/s
Cingular is mostly EDGE(2.5G) ave speed about 100kb/s. Some markets (i think) are getting UMTS which is maxed at 2Mb/s ave about 700-800kb/s.
Sprint is EVDO (barely 3G) with a supposed ave of 400kb/s. (I've not used or tested...
(continues)
simplymarcus

Jun 11, 2005, 6:58 PM
Your wrong
mark0000

Jun 13, 2005, 1:56 PM
simplymarcus said:
Your wrong

Umm.. about what? If I'm wrong I would really like correct information.
simplymarcus

Jun 13, 2005, 2:44 PM
About EDGE it is faster than Verizon's nationwide data network.
mark0000

Jun 14, 2005, 11:46 AM
I apologize. After double checking, I was correct about EDGE being approx 100kbps but Verizon's nationwide data only runs an average about 60-80kbps. Sorry about that, thanks for the correction 🤭
simplymarcus

Jun 14, 2005, 6:12 PM
I also do not agree that GPRS is that slow it depends on what class of GPRS and what class of EDGE. Class 10 GPRS is between 50-60 and class 10 EDGE can get up to 138.
0siris

Jun 26, 2005, 3:49 PM
An hour to send a 1MB file on Sprint? Based on what? I toyed around with tethered use of Vision, and sent a 2MB file in less than 3 minutes.

Your math doesn't make sense.

BTW, another difference between the services is that Verizon, according to their TOS, charges minutes of airtime for data use. Sprint does not.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.