Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 36 replies

Sprint Ripoff

sirwes

May 23, 2010, 9:31 AM
More than a year after spending $300 for a wireless pc card and agreeing to pay $60 per month, I lost the pc card. After searching in vain for six weeks, and of course not using the device, I called Sprint and reported the pc card lost or stolen. Sprint told me that they would list the device as lost or stolen and block it's usage. I was told that the only way I could close my account was to pay the bill including early termination fees in full. And so even though I had not used the device at all in six weeks, I did pay my bill in full for $168.34. I was told that my account was paid in full and closed. Then, the following month, I got another bill from Sprint for an additional $120+. When I called Sprint to ask about this bill, I was...
(continues)
sinister

May 23, 2010, 11:35 AM
pfffttt....womp womp womp 🙄
Amarantamin

May 23, 2010, 10:12 PM
*Gasp* How dare they!

Actually, based on your post, it sounds like the account was never requested to be cancelled through a cancellation team. As you stated, you were informed that an ETF would apply when the account was cancelled, yet mysteriously there was no ETF involved in the 'final payment' that was made.

As with any carrier, when a line has its services blocked, the regular monthly fee still applies; having a device stolen does not free you from fulfilling your contract. If you'd of asked, they could have put you on an $8.99 Standby plan just to hold the line in the system while you waited to get your aircard replaces. As you did not, the regular monthly fees apply. You can read the Terms of Service to verify this fact.

In s...
(continues)
gloopey1

Jul 2, 2010, 5:12 AM
People like this are completely useless. They think life and everyone in it owes them something. Take care of your *@#% equipment and account, and it will take care of you in return. Quit griping about "the man" and man up, I say.
riverjohn2002

May 24, 2010, 7:35 AM
Did you not read the terms and conditions of the contract. Even if the card is reported as lost or stolen you will still be charged the regular price (unless you put it on $8.99 seasonal plan). Also the $120 was prolly for the ETF and not the last month. Good luck with your TV interviews and "lawsuits". If it is the fact that you were charged for the $59.99 that you were not using think of it this way, If your TV broke and you did not cancel the cable is the cable company going to credit back the previous month because you did not use the service. It is not a situation where the services were not available, it is a situation that you did not take advantage of the services that were available (if you would have had a data card that works...
(continues)
lovo

Apr 26, 2011, 5:49 PM
i wish more ppl thought like you unfourtunatly we live in a wolrd that should redub common sense as rare sense or at the very least not so common sense take from somebody that unfourtunatly deals with ppl like this customer on a daily basis having worked for a tv company ive actually heard that excuse "but my tv has been broken for 3 weeks how can you charge me for a service i didnt use?" and more than just once did i deal with this and having worked for more than one carrier its still no diffrent we live in a give me mentality were every1 wants a handout and i dont mean literally every1 but just the mast majority of consumers now at days ive had customers call in admit that they broke there phones a expect free replacements
pickles

Apr 26, 2011, 7:48 PM
considering that post was a year ago, something tells me he isn't gonna respond
SprintCC

May 24, 2010, 1:44 PM
It really does sound as if this is the early termination fee, and not the regular bill. Of course, without actually seeing your account it is impossible to tell what exactly has happened. I do know that regardless of what is going on with your account, it is unacceptable to be on hold for an hour and 20 minutes, or even the 40 minutes.

Send an email to dan@sprint.com and explain what is going on. The fine people from that department will be able to look into your account and explain exactly what is going on for you. I cannot promise you'll like their answer- but you will know exactly what has happened.
rlpinca

May 26, 2010, 3:45 PM
Any time someone says they were on hold for more than 10 minutes I automatically assume the person is full of it and exagerating or is a complete moron for sitting there on hold.

Doesn't sound unfair or like a rip off at all. And $300 for an air card? That sounds a bit high as well.
This_Troper

May 30, 2010, 2:39 PM
I want closure on this story! Did the Better Business Bureau shut down Sprint? Are you still on hold?
sinister

May 30, 2010, 2:41 PM
đŸ¤Ŗ
Amarantamin

Jun 6, 2010, 4:20 PM
I agree, still nothing on how this turned out.

Was the original poster less than satisfied with his resolution and refuses to tell us?

Or, is he now rolling in billions in corporate profits and too good to speak to us?
This_Troper

Jun 6, 2010, 4:24 PM
We are but mere hoi polloi, to bee gazed down upon and pitied.
cincykid516

Jun 7, 2010, 3:52 PM
I call serious B.S. on this one. No way. And if you really did "look" for your modem for SIX WEEKS and it never occured to you to contact Sprint and see what your options were, you deserve it. I am in the industry. People try this crap all of the time. They will tell you that their phone has been lost for 3 weeks and ask for a credit for that time. Then I looked and they used the phone 2 days ago.
Amarantamin

Jun 7, 2010, 4:13 PM
Much less, used the phone 2 days ago to call another number on the account and they chatted for 20 minutes... And then the customer denies that the call ever happened and says that he 'already asked his wife and she didn't talk on the phone that long'...

So, sir, either your wife was talking to the person who stole your phone for 20 minutes and is lieing to you, or you are lieing to me... Your call, buddy. 😈
This_Troper

Jun 7, 2010, 4:15 PM
Yeah, but this guy called the BBB. You haven't heard THAT before, have you? He's the exception, not the rule!

Shine on, you crazy diamond!
honestlybluntanddirect

Dec 5, 2010, 1:08 PM
truthfully you signed and acknowledged a legally binding contract for your aircard and then lost your aircard while u did report ur aircard lost does NOT let you off the hook for the remainder of ur contract or ur monthly service fee while it is unfortunate that u did lose it doesnt circumvent sprint position to let you off the hook as sprint did NOT lose the device you did my friend. just buy a cheap aircard to put on the account or pay the legally binding termination fee.enough said
ecycled

Jun 9, 2010, 10:19 AM
Pics or it never happened.

Innocent until proven guilty and heresay is not admissibable in court.

But if you want to defend yourself, post a link to pics of the bill and someone on here can verify you paid a bill + ETF, then another bill came after that. I would use a high resolution camera and a free account like photobucket to host it. Also if you want to prove you were on hold, should include the detail cell bill of a phone call to customer service for over an hour (at which point your battery failed).

You posted in an experienced cellular forum. Beware the reprocussions of false and unprovable accusations.
Amarantamin

Jun 9, 2010, 4:31 PM
. . .

Win!
dj89

Dec 6, 2010, 10:34 PM
Damn! He got TOLD!
sweetlucky

Jun 15, 2010, 3:27 PM
🙂
i really dont belive that u paid a etf at that time you paid your account balance sounds more like you were behind one month on bill and paid you past due plus your current than later you got your final bill, which you get a final bill after your next billing cycle closes
bmore

Jun 22, 2010, 5:36 PM
idiot
This_Troper

Jul 1, 2010, 9:08 PM
I still require closure on this. Did the BBB Take it to the Limit?
Amarantamin

Jul 4, 2010, 2:04 PM
They probably sent Sprint a strongly worded letter. 😲
Amarantamin

Dec 5, 2010, 8:49 PM
Makes me ☚ī¸ .
wireless.praying.mantis

Dec 5, 2010, 9:08 PM
I just e mailed sirwes regarding this thread. I'm quite suprised sirwes didn't respond to any postings here since 05/23/10, the date this user name was created.
wireless.praying.mantis

Dec 6, 2010, 9:41 PM
Here is sirwes' response to my question of

"Did you ever get resolution to your issue regarding losing your Sprint air card and account closure?"

Sirwes' Response:

"No, Sprint refused to budge on the issue. I refused to pay. Sprint referred the account to a collection agency. It turned out that Sprint was fighting me and refusing to budge over less than $100. For as long as I live, I will never do business with Sprint again. In exchange for referring my account to a collection agency that they will NEVER collect for $80, I filed a complaint with the BBB, the FTC, and posted feedback on 21 different sites.

I now have an ATT account with an iphone 4 and a Samsung Captivate. I'm very happy with ATT.

Sprint management is jus...
(continues)
dj89

Dec 6, 2010, 10:58 PM
CLOSURE!
This_Troper

Dec 6, 2010, 11:04 PM
Until he loses his phone.
Joby Dick

Dec 9, 2010, 7:59 PM
đŸ¤Ŗ đŸ¤Ŗ đŸ¤Ŗ
vercetti

Dec 10, 2010, 3:11 PM
hope he read the latest consumer reports article, last in customer service, last in network. Sprint rated in someparts of service above #1 verizon.

Sorry Charlie
Shelbyman

Apr 10, 2011, 5:00 PM
I used to work Sprint customer service. Yes you are right it is the early term fee. But I will have to admit Sprint is notorious for mysterious charges on bill that you just can't find an answer to. While Sprint is trying I really don't think there customer service should be rated that high. I have AT&T and believe they're customer service is way better. Sprint just continues to find new ways to screw customers in ways they can't prove!
dj89

Apr 11, 2011, 12:53 PM
That's not exclusive to Sprint. Not saying it's right, but all carriers do it.
nextel18

Apr 11, 2011, 4:57 PM
typicalness 🙂
AccessoryGeeks

Apr 27, 2011, 10:31 AM
That is horrible.

I think I would've exploded on every customer service representative I talked to.

What I don't get is, how can they keep charging you even after you've canceled your account and paid for the early termination fee? Wouldn't that mean that the contract between you and Sprint would be over?
DartStuticus

Apr 28, 2011, 12:58 PM
While the original post was quite a while ago so any reply at this point is a bit irrelevant, he was just trying a sob story. There are a number of issues any carrier will have with customer service. What obviously happened was the line was not canceled, it was put on a lost stolen disable so chargers were still valid. The customer in this case did not check to see what had actually happened and left things to interpretation. He assumed he knew what happened but there is a lot of lingo that differs between employees and customers. Unfortunately it is the burden of the customer to make sure their account has been handled properly because there is no way to know if one of these lingo situations has come up.
bluedrummer27

Apr 28, 2011, 6:50 PM
Yuo lost your air card and didn't have insurance on it. TROOOLLLLLLLL

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.