show all 6 replies

Intel Debuts First WiMAX Chip

nextel18

Apr 18, 2005, 3:58 PM
http://www.internetnews.com/wireless/article.php/349 ... »

April 18, 2005
Intel Debuts First WiMAX Chip
By Michael Singer

Intel (Quote, Chart) began shipping its first ever processor that taps into the wireless standard 802.16 or WiMAX, the company said Monday.

At separate press events in Washington DC, London and Shanghai, the chipmaker is expected to introduce its Intel PRO/Wireless 5116 broadband interface device. Previously known as Rosedale, the chip is designed for wireless modems and residential gateways. Prices were not disclosed by press time.

The processor's radio features an OFDM (define) physical layer, an integrated 10/100 media access controller, inline security processing and a time division multiplexing c...
(continues)
swamp_donkey

Apr 18, 2005, 5:23 PM
I think it's pretty cool if Sprextel goes to this. From what I hear Sprint is looking to go that way. I work for Cingular, but I would love to see a WiMAX, HSDPA, EVD0 war happen. I'm tired of iDEN, GSM, and CDMA. 🙄
nextel18

Apr 18, 2005, 5:26 PM
well nextel/sprint already announced plans to test wimax over their DO system.

by the way gsm and cdma use hsdpa and ev-do. lol so yea.

yea, wimax vs hsdpa vs ev-do rev a ... mmm should be interesting.

who wins? sprint/nextel. why? becuase highiest arpu and highiest data arpu. oh yea, plus they have a lot of spectrum to do DO AND WIMAX.

should be interesting.
swamp_donkey

Apr 18, 2005, 5:42 PM
I'm not trying to be in a pi$$ing match. Competition is great for consumers no matter what. Wimax will definately have it's benifits, like the high speed. HSDPA will be an overlay over the existing GSM network, and EVDO is already up and running in a lot areas, so they have a bit of a head start. All have some advantages. Just trying to be objectionable.
nextel18

Apr 18, 2005, 5:44 PM
we all love competition. its fun.

i think wimax and hsdpa will be having fun competing against each other, however, dont forget about OFDM!!!
swamp_donkey

Apr 18, 2005, 5:47 PM
I can't wait until UMA. I just set up a Wifi network in my home, it would be pretty awesome to have a mini tower in my own house. That would fix service issues for anyone whom has a wifi network, anywhere. Cool things are on the way... 😎
nextel18

Apr 18, 2005, 5:48 PM
yea. a lot of technologies will come out there. by the way mmds spectrum helps out coverage.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.