Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 29 replies

AT&T is billing pay per use data unfair.

Wireless Consultant

Jan 31, 2010, 4:46 PM
AT&T data pay per use billing at $2 is unfair and needs to be changed. http://bit.ly/92H96B
bdo3272

Feb 1, 2010, 9:21 AM
it's not "unfair"...it's just not to your liking. as a consumer you have the right to go to different carriers and compare prices. no one MADE you get the data pay per use. thats what you wanted by making the purchase YOU made, on the network YOU decided on and the contract YOU signed. If you dont like the pay per use, get a data plan. please folks, take responsibility for your choices.
Wireless Consultant

Feb 1, 2010, 1:58 PM
A lot of mobile phones put the web button in the middle of the screen. If and when someone hits it, because that happens all the time by accident. 😲 Pow that person pressing that button by accident gets a $2 a month mistake.
vampyra

Feb 1, 2010, 11:50 PM
u can actually add a free web block feature, but you just have to call in to add it, and be patient with the rep.
Wireless Consultant

Feb 2, 2010, 12:51 PM
When you block the web you can not send or receive pictures or videos.

http://mobilewiseguy.com »
vampyra

Feb 2, 2010, 5:11 PM
no u can add a messaging ftr seperately.
Wireless Consultant

Feb 2, 2010, 5:44 PM
You can add a messaging package but with the web blocked no pictures or videos can be sent or received even with the messaging package.
Amarantamin

Mar 9, 2010, 10:17 PM
This is true, pictures/video will be disabled. Also, the manufacturers do put that data button in a very easy-to-hit position so that charges will be accumulated, and the user will either have to pay for data or block it. This is a very 'stuck' place to be, the easiest solution from our perspective is to pay for a full data package, but not everyone wants to, especially if they won't actually be using it and it's just to avoid unwanted additional charges. Which is redundant.
Fandim

Jun 6, 2010, 3:59 AM
Hmm.

The manufacturer does not profit from placing the data button in the middle of the phone. 🙂

Just food for thought.
KriisCDW

Jun 6, 2010, 8:57 AM
Simple. Effective. Power back into YOUR hands.

Company 0.
You 1.
sinister

Jun 6, 2010, 11:29 AM
yeah how do you do that? i always have to refer the cust back to the manufacturer. mycsp offers no tutorials on that type of stuff. i would certainly love to be able to clue the customer in.
KriisCDW

Jun 6, 2010, 1:40 PM
unfortunatly...

"It depends on the phone"

Each phone is done differently. I have to look it up often enough as well.
KriisCDW

Jun 6, 2010, 8:56 AM
is to remap the buttons on the front.

Make that "web" button point to... well... anything but the "web".

Either say "Hey Mr Sales person... help me out". Or spend a few minutes tinkering with the phone and/or reading the manual.

Costs nothing. Solves the problem while leaving Pic/Vid messaging intact.
WernerCD

Feb 4, 2010, 8:07 PM
Web blocking + Unlimited Texting (which inludes pic/vid texting) = unable to text vid/pics.

SMSing uses data, even if you don't get charged for it per-se. Block it and you can't use it.

Should the be able to work around it? Sure. But that's the way it is.
TetonBigfoot

Feb 2, 2010, 8:16 AM
actually thats untrue you are not charged until you leave the web home screen

so accidental web button presses wont automatically get you a 2 dollar charge

on most phones you can also remap the buttons to do something else so if you dont use internet change its button to open up text message folder
Wireless Consultant

Feb 2, 2010, 12:53 PM
Some phones can remap maybe but will the employees of at&t explain this to each customer, no it takes to much time and at&t needs to disclose this more to customers.

Even well informed Phonescoop members do not know about this unfair billing.

http://mobilewiseguy.com »
looch_himself

Feb 4, 2010, 9:39 PM
Wireless Consultant said:
Some phones can remap maybe but will the employees of at&t explain this to each customer, no it takes to much time and at&t needs to disclose this more to customers.
Uh, yeah we will
Even well informed Phonescoop members do not know about this unfair billing.

http://mobilewiseguy.com
»

Because it isn't unfair. We have come to the realization that customers who were claiming that the $200-$300 charges per month was not due to accidental usage. Also, someone else pointed this out earlier, you don't get charged until you leave the home screen. What wasn't pointed out, was the fact of the confirmation screen that askes if you really want to use data. So here's a...
(continues)
wizardofCroz

Feb 5, 2010, 2:17 PM
The next time someone from Directv comes to my house I'm going to ask him everything about my television. I'll make sure to let him know that I do not agree with the "on demand" button and I think the pay per view movies are too expensive.

Maybe next time you should pay attention to the "Data charges will apply, Continue?" alert that pops up. Or just put a data block on your account and be unable to send/ recieve picture messaging.

Here's an interesting thought, stop hitting the stupid button!! Seriously, what goes through your head before you push that magic button?? 👀 oh man, that button looks so tempting. I really want to push it, but there will be data charges if I do! Alright, here's what I'll do, I'm going to push it...
(continues)
Cellular Phone

Feb 2, 2010, 10:30 AM
"Come to T-Mobile!"

They do not charge you to use their basic web. You do have to pay only if you want to browse outside of T-Zones.
Wireless Consultant

Feb 2, 2010, 12:54 PM
😎

They are better in billing but not reception in a lot of places.
Jayshmay

Feb 2, 2010, 9:31 AM
You are too corporate of a person. And are too far removed from the consumer world.
trojandrew

Feb 2, 2010, 11:29 AM
how is he removed from the consumer world? seems like he knows how, as a consumer, he doesn't have to play the victim and can take his business elsewhere. sounds like he's more in tune with his power as consumer.

educate yourself and become a smarter consumer, don't run around and cry when a business does something you don't think provides you a good enough value. if you don't like it, you can vote with your $$ by giving it to a company who provides you with better value. that kind of consumer activity is what will drive the prices down; companies will realize they can't just jack up prices and retain all their mealy mouthed customers who will just come and whine about it on phonescoop instead of going to another carrier.

welcome to t...
(continues)
Wireless Consultant

Feb 2, 2010, 12:56 PM
😎
iljaaf21

Mar 10, 2010, 10:24 AM
It's also why UNLIMITED is $10 for Family Talk plans and $15 for individuals. It's a whole lot cheaper to go with the package. Or, you could just not use the internet at all. They do offer an option to block it completely.
afroman4

Feb 2, 2010, 11:41 AM
For someone who is a consultant you sure are misinformed...the $2 pay per use rate is per 1MB. if you dont use the full 1mb then you are charged the standard 1cent per kb. And like stated by someone else: its not unfair if your agreeing to use the service. If you dont like $2 per 1mb then thats exactly why the have data plans
Wireless Consultant

Feb 2, 2010, 12:48 PM
No not wrong.

Additional Messaging and Data Charges: Pay-Per-Use Charges (overage or non-plan pricing): Text/Instant Messaging $0.20 per message; Picture/Video Messages $0.30 per message; Web browsing $2 per MB applies to new customers or customers who change voice plans or cancel data plans on or after July 31, 2009, 🤣 otherwise $0.01 per KB. Prices are valid for use in the U.S. only. Charges for international messages sent from the U.S. are $0.25 for Text Messages and $0.50 for Picture/Video Messages.
Sigma1570

Feb 5, 2010, 3:18 PM
Nope, if you use 1kb on the new plan you get charged $2 the only people who see an advantage are who regularly used over 200kb of data then the new rate is actually better in most regards. But for most people they get charged the $2 by accident. IT is a sham to put the medianet button in the middle of the phone
Sigma1570

Feb 5, 2010, 3:16 PM
Its a big scam
edzero

Feb 6, 2010, 4:01 PM
people need to get over themselves. Everythings always a scam when its making you do something you dont like. Like the guy said earlier, just dont press the f#%@ing button. If you do use it them you should pay for it. Do we realize that we are getting access to the world wide web...on our tiny little portable telephones. wireless internet access on a wireless telephone. Have we gotten so advanced that we forget how amazing it is that we can even do this.
KriisCDW

Jun 6, 2010, 8:53 AM
and buy elsewhere.

Simple as that.

If the competition follows, follow & support those who don't.

Nothing else you can do.

AT&T losing customers will speak volumes that posts here won't cover.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.