Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 11 replies

Question about tethering a laptop to a cell phone

Aries1

Dec 26, 2009, 4:07 PM
Assuming I have a carrier that supports tethering and a suitable phone that can connect to my laptop either via USB or Bluetooth, is it possible to connect to the Internet without having to use a dial-up ISP? If so, how can I do it? I have dial-up for my desktop at home but I'd hate to be limited to 56K on my mobile laptop. Any thoughts?
mist668

Dec 26, 2009, 4:34 PM
Just because it dials into the phone doesnt mean it will be 56k speeds.

Any company that has a program for the desktop avoids dialing into the phone, as the program connects your computer to the network.
Aries1

Dec 27, 2009, 6:15 PM
I consistently get between 49K and 53K on my land line via dial-up ISP. I have, on occasion, been able to log on as fast as 55K but it has been quite rare.

I understand that I may get a slower connection to my dial-up ISP via my cell phone. I want to know if it is possible (using my Internet capable, cell phone) to connect to the web directly without calling my dial-up ISP? If so, how do I do it?
afroman4

Jan 1, 2010, 11:53 AM
You can get the 3G speeds from tethering. Your problem just sounds like your "dialing" the wrong number. What phone are you trying to tether? and to answer your question yes. it just depends on a few things...
Aries1

Jun 25, 2010, 9:52 AM
afroman4 said:
You can get the 3G speeds from tethering. Your problem just sounds like your "dialing" the wrong number. What phone are you trying to tether? and to answer your question yes. it just depends on a few things...

I purchased a new Samsung Messenger II. I have Roadrunner at work, DSL at home and a Dial-up account for use when I travel. I want to either connect to my dial-up account using my Cricket phone or connect directly to the Internet using my Cricket phone.
WernerCD

Mar 1, 2010, 10:18 AM
Tethering, how-to and how-much varies from carrier to carrier and phone to phone.

Speeds *SHOULD* be faster than dial-up, but will probably have greater variance depending on signal strength.

Options also vary. Some phones offer bluetooth tethering. Some require a data-cable. Some carriers make you pay $60 a month for tethering (same basic rate as a data-card. price overlaps with your cell phone data plan.) Others charge less.
DaBigKahuna

May 19, 2010, 9:08 AM
Hello,

I am a Verizon broadband (laptop) and cell phone customer. I need to upgrade my old Moto Razor phone. I'd like to be able to access the internet via both my new 'smart' phone and from my laptop, while paying only ONE monthly broadband fee. I'm primarily a business type of phone user, so need to access Outlook email primarily. Other social apps (like combining FB, Twitter, etc in single stream) etc. not very important to me. Must haves:
(1) be able to wirelessly tether my new smart phone to my laptop
(2) be able to use the phone for voice calls at the same time that I'm using it for a 'tethered' broadband connection for my laptop.

I don't want to 'jailbreak' the phone the do this. I want it supported by Verizon and the p...
(continues)
KriisCDW

May 20, 2010, 12:24 PM
You have a Laptop from Verizon? Is that a USB Dongle for your laptop... or a laptop with the built in receiver?

Well... you first need to get a tether-able phone from Verizon. Assuming you want a Smart-Phone:

https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder_results.php ... »

Top of the list, the Incredible...

Assuming you get that (or one of the other smart-phone tether-ables)... You are basically going to be paying $30 for data + $30 for tethering.

Vs $30 data for smart phone + $60 for seperate usb/laptop data.

The downside - CDMA is not known for data + talk.

If you want to be able to talk + data, at least until LTE is released: You must...
(continues)
Dread_99

May 24, 2010, 11:10 AM
One option is to purchase Tether (dependent on phone model). I use this on a BB with Sprint and it allows me to tether the phone without paying extra for a PAM plan. You will not be able to talk and surf tho - not on CDMA...
wearethedisease

Jul 10, 2010, 4:18 PM
Unless you have a phone like the Palm Pre Plus (Verizon) which is capable of creating a mobile WiFi hotspot. You are then wirelessly connected to the internet on your laptop, and if I am not mistaken, you can still use voice.

And the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus come with the mobile hotspot feature for free right now, which is normally a $40 feature.
purplelotus

Jul 11, 2010, 1:24 PM
Verizon's 3G network doesn't allow simultaneous voice and data. If you receive a phone call while you're tethering, your data connection is temporarily severed. Ever tried texting while you're on a phone call with your VZW phone? Doesn't work. Only GSM technology allows simultaneous voice and data. Now, wimax does too, but only Sprint has that. 😎 And who knows when VZW is going to roll out LTE...
island4prez

Jul 11, 2010, 3:16 PM
2015!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.