Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 5 replies

Question for Rich...

swamp_donkey

Apr 11, 2005, 5:51 PM
I hear a lot of talk about 802.11 (b, g, n, etc.) standards, UMA standards, UMTS standards, all sorts of standards. I would assume that a "standard" is a way of making sure all devices using that technology work the same way, and are all compatible. My question is, who decides what these standards are?
speedywalk

Apr 11, 2005, 5:56 PM
They are decided on by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, which makes the standards a global set of protocols. This is where we get the "IEEE" abbreviation on your computer components and such!

Speedywalk
"It ain't broke, it just needs duct tape!"
swamp_donkey

Apr 11, 2005, 6:14 PM
Is this just a group of people that got together to do this, or do people get voted in like a club, or what? I'm a bit ignorant on the whole IEEE thing. Is there some sort of paper you hand in to have a standard recognized? Do they have a website?

P.S. Thanks for the "Speedy" response. OH! What a pun. Something smells like cheese... 😳
speedywalk

Apr 11, 2005, 6:27 PM
They actually have a "Standards Association. This is out of Section 8 in their policies:

8.3 INTERNATIONAL REPRESENTATION IN IEEE STANDARDS ASSOCIATION

A. Any technically qualified member of IEEE of any nationality may be appointed a member of any committee in a Society preparing Standards Recommendations, without regard to geo­graphical or political considerations. Conditions for voting membership and for attendance at meetings may be established by each Society.

B. With the approval of the Standards Association, non*IEEE members, who are representatives of standards*developing organizations or are invited experts, may hold membership on IEEE committees and subcommittee
(continues)
swamp_donkey

Apr 11, 2005, 6:33 PM
There's nothing wrong with being a geek. I'm proud of it myself. Go to Thinkgeek.com, they have the coolest stuff there. Thanks for the info! One more thing...Since Bluetooth, cordless phones, and 802.11 all work on the same bandwidth, does the IEEE have anything to do with this, or is it just kind of up for grabs? Thanks in advance.
speedywalk

Apr 11, 2005, 6:58 PM
Partially yes. Among other reasons, these frequencies tend to interfere less with other radio items in homes and are interfered with less as well. The FCC also has a governance in this area as well so they can better keep tabs on radio traffic.

Speedywalk
"It ain't broke, it just needs duct tape!"

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.