Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 13 replies

Cost of tethering on Verizon?

decairns

Nov 3, 2009, 5:39 PM
Does anybody know what it costs to tether your phone on Verizon?

Do you use up minutes?

Do you use up Mb of data?

Do you use up both?

Is it just a better deal to get a free data card and buy the $60/mo data plan?
brentgodwin

Nov 4, 2009, 1:20 PM
depends on what phone..its $30 a month if you currently have a smartphone (blackberry, treo, HTC, Omnia, Saga, etc)..if not then its the same as the air card $59.99..

5gb of data...same as the air card
no minutes usage
data call disconnected when a voice call comes in. session is restarted when you reconnect..

Slower than air card too..
ibleedawesomeness

Nov 5, 2009, 2:47 PM
if you have a blackberry tour, storm, or storm2 it runs at rev A speeds (same as aircard)....all other pdas do run at the slower rev 0.
PACWEST

Nov 26, 2009, 1:59 PM

Slower than air card too..

Why is it slower than an aircard? 😕
Azeron

Nov 26, 2009, 2:28 PM
If one has a Rev. A phone and tethers it is no slower than a Rev. A data card. The advantage to using a data card as a consumer is that it frees up your phone for voice calls. That is pretty much it to me and I hate the idea of signing a contract just for a data card. I'd rather have a second phone (and I do XV-6900 with WinMo 6.1 so it IS Rev. A). Now the cost of adding the feature to a normal phone is $59.99. The cost of adding the feature to a smarthphone/PDA depends on the data plan. Your total data is always going to end up $59.99. If one has the Email and Web $29.99 then tethering is $30. If one has the Unlimited PDA/Blackberry $44.99 then tethering is $15. There are a lucky few who were able to stick the $15 feature on their ...
(continues)
w1ndex

Dec 1, 2009, 3:27 PM
Tethering cost 49.99 a month for a non pda.. not 59.99.

And its $30 for a pda/blackberry OR if you are on a connect/premium plan. 🙂
NEPats726420

Dec 8, 2009, 1:20 PM
sweet
simmeon

Dec 8, 2009, 3:49 PM
I concur
NEPats726420

Dec 8, 2009, 4:48 PM
sour
brentgodwin

Nov 4, 2009, 1:21 PM
my bad..I forgot..

with the tethering feature its just a feature add on..no contract, no activation fee, or any of that..it can be added over the phone and removed at anytime with no fees..
frayway

Nov 26, 2009, 9:42 AM
I just traveled to Florida from Michigan. I tethered my LG 8350 with my laptop and I can tell you it worked wonderful - even in the car! I found it to be as fast as my DSL connection at home.

5GB for 50 bucks, no contract and you can cancel and only be charged by what you used for the month. Very simple and reliable.
VZWjny

Nov 28, 2009, 10:02 AM
I tether my motorola droid for free, PDA net, PDA net, PDA net, 🙂
mist668

Nov 28, 2009, 6:42 PM
VZWjny said:
I tether my motorola droid for free, PDA net, PDA net, PDA net, 🙂

That crap is slow since it goes through a proxy.
VZWjny

Nov 28, 2009, 6:54 PM
Runs perfectly fine for me faster than our DSL, being as the DROID isn't rootable at the moment, so it's all i have to work with. Any faster options for the Motorola Droid currently (that does not require rooting)..?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.