Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 37 replies

Best overall service for wireless air card

George J

Nov 26, 2008, 12:17 PM
Hello,

My wife wants to go wireless on her laptop. We currently have AT&T for our phones but I'm open to any service company. So my question is simple, which company would be the best to go with?

Thanks in advance
tanya_ATT

Nov 26, 2008, 12:33 PM
THE at&t QUICKSILVER IS A GOOD THING.. ITS THE at&t CARD 60$ A MONTH... OR IF YOU HAVE WIRELESS SERVICE, LIKE A BLACKBERRY, UPGRADE INTO A BLCAKBERRY WITH TETHERING PLAN..WHATEVER WORKS BEST FOR U
Att_Sales_rep

Dec 2, 2008, 5:49 PM
what does the quicksilver have to do with aircards? and any blackberry would be horrible as a tethering device besides the new 3g bold. And YES we do have a 5gb cap now-a-days but 90% of the customers wont exceed that. once you begin to get close to your limit we will send you a notificatication before your overage charges start occuring.
Fredd

Dec 19, 2008, 12:39 PM
The Quicksilver IS an aircard, manufactured by Option Inc.

If you are a sales rep for AT&T, looks like you need some produt training!
sprintchirper

Dec 30, 2008, 2:19 PM
If you want dial-up speeds. Choose AT&CingularT. If you want a fast wireless broadband connection. Choose SPRINT!
purplelotus

Jan 9, 2009, 4:55 PM
What he said!

Sprint is so much faster, our most recently released aircard, the Compass 597 is free out the door and the plan is 59.99/month and we can apply corporate discounts to the price up to 25%. Verizon doesn't allow you to do that with their aircards.

Also when you connect with the Sprint aircard you have software right in front of you that will show you a counter of how much data you've gone through on your plan. You're notified all the time about how close to the cap you are and it doesn't just notify you to stop using your internet, it cuts it off, so there's no danger of paying overages.
irockash

Apr 10, 2009, 5:43 PM
purplelotus said:
Also when you connect with the Sprint aircard you have software right in front of you that will show you a counter of how much data you've gone through on your plan. You're notified all the time about how close to the cap you are and it doesn't just notify you to stop using your internet, it cuts it off, so there's no danger of paying overages.

Thats a pretty cool feature, the AT&T Communication Manager just shows you data sent/received per session.

But the speed difference really depends on where you are. I'd ask around, and go into stores that have the laptop connect stations setup for you to try.
ihsoccer2004

Apr 13, 2009, 4:06 AM
About using the in-store testers... those are great in theory but you also don't see them under real world conditions. They are always going to run at top speeds in the store - Unless someone dropped the ball, every store is blasted with about 99% signal strength.

Unfortunately, conditions differ greatly in the field. I have used both Sprint and AT&T aircards extensively and I've found Sprint's network speed to be consistently better, 100% EVDO (none of the this EDGE crap), with lower latencies.

Most of the time Sprint's network coverage is superior, but not always. AT*T is trying though... I loved how for months they only had 2-3 of 20+ towers in malibu upgraded to 3G yet they touted it as one of their 3G cities on the website 🙂
andy2373

Nov 26, 2008, 5:15 PM
Well I did the same thing with my laptop because surfn' the net on a smarphone or Blackberry just isn't the same.
I went with ATT because out of the carriers here there the only one that gave my a discount on wireless broadband as well as phone. And there the only one without the 5GB monthly cap. But where I primarily use the ATT internet (work) I swear when it rains really heavy I loose my connection, even though the connection manager still says I have a 3G connection.
So over all I've been satisfied with ATT but figure out where your going to use the service the most then take advantage of witchever carrier's trial period.
I'm patiently waiting for WiMax.
llama

Nov 26, 2008, 8:09 PM
Might wanna check that 5gb thing with at&t now...

And if serrvice is less than desirable now with the handset, what about when you're in the middle of receiving something important and it drops your service.

Take the 30 day test with VZW. You'd prolly receieve a discount on the equipment, depending on who you work for.
doubledecker06

Dec 1, 2008, 10:19 PM
There is a 5GB cap with ATT however that is alot of information unless you are going to be continually downloading information.

I say try att's wireless cards since its 3G network is better than VZW. Why change carriers and have two separate bills to worry about. Also if you dont like it you can always cancel in the thirty days. And like VZW you may be able to get a discount depending on where you work.

Depending on what you use your phones for the phone service and the wireless card service can differ. so even if your phone service is not up to par i say try att and if you dont like it the n move to another provider.
ajlineman

Dec 1, 2008, 10:45 PM
I would also suggest AT&T. If you are willing to sign a two year contract for the air card they will set ya up with not just discounted, but free aircards.
I know the new ones require a mail-in rebate, but I love refurbed devices and you can get those for free w/ the 2 year.
Jayshmay

Apr 3, 2009, 8:42 AM
How can service be different on an aircard than a phone, the signal comes from the same cell tower?!!?
purplelotus

Jan 9, 2009, 4:58 PM
Verizon actually doesn't do the discount on their aircards because the plan doesn't qualify.

I worked for them for 3 years and that was the most common reason people went with other carriers.
yoboy8

Dec 14, 2008, 12:08 PM
depending on were you live ... UTstarcom 175 with Alltel is fast and cheap.. we dont charge per data.. its a flat rate, unlimited usage nationwide 😁
filerx

Dec 29, 2008, 10:13 PM
Sprint with the free Compass 597 by Sierra Wireless. The Gizmodo Report had Sprint surpass the Big Deuce in terms of speed and signal.
BigKippa

Dec 30, 2008, 3:24 PM
Filerx is right, even before the Gizmodo report came out I had the compass and use it everywhere, it is fast and free right now. All of the companies, from what i know, have a 5gb cap on the data. After the report came I don't know why you wouldn't choose Sprint, especially if you travel. I don't know where Verizon and ATT get the nerve to claim "fastest 3G network" (ATT), and "largest and most dependable 3G network" (Verizon). ATT's claim is a joke worth laughing at and based on square miles Sprint has the largest 3G network not Verizon, and based on Gizmodo's report Sprint has the fastest and most reliable, so where do these other companies get off. Bottom line........go with Sprint!!!!
llama

Dec 30, 2008, 5:14 PM
and guess Sprint signs your paycheck?
BigKippa

Dec 30, 2008, 5:19 PM
yeah........ so does Gizmodo who released the report, and so does JD Power who released their independent report on call quality and reliability, and so does Pali Research who releaseed their independent report on customer care? Who signs my paycheck has no bearing on facts. Do your research homie.
llama

Dec 30, 2008, 5:23 PM
It had to do with your obnoxious answer.

BTW, is Sprint gonna be around all next year?
BigKippa

Dec 30, 2008, 9:35 PM
I don't care what you call the network, you can call it Lollipop wireless if it gets bought, it will still be Sprint's network that they built from the ground up, not like ATT who just bought their network. Sprint's network is superior, sprint now has the best customer care, the cheapest prices, and will be the 1st 4g carrier, and the first major carrier out of the big 3 to have an Android phone in June. Sprint's network will not disolve and just go away, despite your problems with my "obnoxious answer" it's still coming down to facts. Walmart could buy it tomorrow and it will still be the same network that sprint built. Anymore stupid questions?
llama

Dec 31, 2008, 12:30 AM
That's sweet.

Why the hostility?

And your "best customer care"? By who's standards? People in Pakistan?
BigKippa

Dec 31, 2008, 3:30 PM
Pali Research, independent study.
Scytherend

Jan 1, 2009, 5:54 PM
Translation: Paid off?
BigKippa

Jan 2, 2009, 2:03 PM
yeah......thats the only possible answer.....they could have never improved their customer service......impossible. Nice call, not a narrow-minded assumption at all. Thanks for the educated commentary genius.
llama

Jan 2, 2009, 6:17 PM
Enlighten us about Pali Research...I can't seem to find any credible info on them...and I'm not gonna sign up with them to find out...
BigKippa

Jan 2, 2009, 6:35 PM
They are an independent research firm similar to JD Power and associates.
GraGG

Apr 3, 2009, 3:59 PM
yea you were right, they got bought off
deeter

Apr 15, 2009, 9:29 AM
the best customer care? that is a f-ing joke. I have a consumer plan and every time I need to make a change not only does it take me an hour to get person on the phone but after the change is made my plan gets so screwed up it takes 3 hours to get it corrected after I get billed.

ps I sold sprint for 9 yrs so I know how to make changes correctly. the people in india apparently do not
BigKippa

Dec 30, 2008, 10:18 PM
funny that you would label anyone else or anything they say or do "obnoxious" when my answer is about as obnoxious as your little shirtless man picture is, I mean are you for real? Phonescoop isn't a dating site, try craigslist casual encounters or something I hear there are a lot of nice guys on there, good luck!!!
llama

Dec 31, 2008, 12:32 AM
Are you scared of a shirtless man picture?

And what are you so uptight about? Sprint network is not superior to others...well, it is better than at&t's...
RiddleBox09

Jan 7, 2009, 6:46 PM
I have cricket wireless for me and my fiancees loptop(I believe its only for down south but I could be wrong), its good and it works well its about $160 right of the bat but you get a month free. Then its $40 a month and if you want insurance its $45 a month... I like it plus they will send you messages to your computer letting you know about a week before your payments due, and you can pay online like most places...
Turbo187

Jan 8, 2009, 5:02 PM
You asked a heated question - basically because what you're dealing with here is a lot of reps from lots of companies and providers, all of which are going to tell you to jump with their team, just because that is the natural reaction. Well I won't have the same knee jerk reaction as some here, and I will attempt to maintain a unbiased opinion. It's going to depend greatly on your location. Who has the best service in your area? Whoever has the best coverage/service/packages for you is your best bet. Generally speaking the speeds are all about the same, the reliability just depends on the network. Around here Verizon is pretty much the only game in town, so everyone uses VZW - therefor around here, VZW is the best choice. If you're happy wit...
(continues)
BigKippa

Jan 11, 2009, 12:49 PM
I don't think Gizmodo would agree with you.

By the way how can you have an "unbiased" opinion if you sell Verizon?
SPRINTPDAGUY

Jan 12, 2009, 8:12 PM
According to www.gizmodo.com Sprint wins Overall for everything i believe, so to answer the original question, Sprint would be the best option.

Also dont forgot get Wimax access soon, unless you live in a few cities with access already!!
alltelbran

Mar 28, 2009, 4:03 PM
Alltel .... $59.99 Unlimited wireless high speed internet .... Card free after mir....

Enough said
Menno

Apr 1, 2009, 9:56 AM
1) Which service offers the best high speed coverage for where you will use the aircard the most (I am assuming home/work will be top spots)? You should know your coverage with ATT. If you have friends with Verizon/Sprint/etc phones ask to test out the signal. Most newer media phones have an indicator to list if they are in high speed zone. If one company has a clearer signal everywhere, go with them.

2) If you have 2 or more companies that are equivalent in coverage, go with the one that is the best value. NEVER sacrifice signal strength to save a few bucks.

3) If ATT is one of the clearest signals at the locations you need, and it is comparable in price to the other options that work where you need them to, then go with ATT. ...
(continues)
deeter

Apr 15, 2009, 9:33 AM
just rely on hot spots and put the 60 bucks in the bank every month

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.