Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 10 replies

Tethering

bayzdun

Oct 30, 2008, 6:17 PM
I currently have PDA personal / Tilt. I am moving short term (a few months). Is it a good option to subscribe to PDA personal + Tethering to use for my laptop? The location is in a 3G area.
DaCoach

Oct 31, 2008, 10:42 AM
All depends on who you ask. The Tilt is great for tethering, and your bill would only go up by $30, which is definitely cheaper than a stand alone laptop connect card and only a little more expensive than DSL of comparable speeds(since you will be in a 3G footprint).

You may encounter the 5GB cap(not sure if it is hard or soft on tethering), so there might be increased charges if you exceed the cap.

One other downside is that you will not be able to receive phone calls while the phone is a modem.

Hope this helps!
Saint.Patrick

Nov 14, 2008, 12:31 AM
Skip tethering and just get yourself a USB broadband wireless modem/air card. Yes, it will be approximately $20 a month than tethering, but at least you won't miss phone calls while on a data session.
CellularHolocaust

Nov 14, 2008, 3:46 PM
Saint.Patrick said:
but at least you won't miss phone calls while on a data session.

Incorrect, he will not miss phone calls while tethering as that uses the data side.
Scytherend

Nov 25, 2008, 12:00 PM
Most phones cannot be connected to the Data network and the voice network simultaneously. Hence, missed calls.
PhonemanJ

Nov 25, 2008, 6:35 PM
That is one of the advantages of the 3G network, you can access both the data and phone systems at the same time. He will just need to be sure that he is in a 3G area when he puts it to use. If it is in Edge, it will not do both at the same time.
doubledecker06

Dec 1, 2008, 10:04 PM
As far as I know you can do data and voice simultaneously whether you are on the EDGE or the 3G network.
I have a Blackberry 8810 which is EDGE and I am able to text while talking on the phone, which is data and voice. However if your on the EDGE network it wouldnt be worth it to tether because it will be so slow.
Anyway if your sure its 3G where you will be I would recommend tethering cuz it will save you money.
indyalex

Dec 3, 2008, 12:08 AM
My treo 700p can not do tethering talk at same time.The satement about text being data is not true,its not a data function.I have read some ph/pda's are capable of calling/tethering at same time,apparrently it depends upon the device capability.
doubledecker06

Dec 3, 2008, 8:25 PM
gotcha, i was unsure about whether or not it would work with tethering.
CellularHolocaust

Nov 14, 2008, 5:45 PM
I would first check to see if you can just tether for free seeing as it's a pda.
ajlineman

Nov 28, 2008, 5:16 PM
They are all correct, in a way.
I would suggest tethering over a laptop connect card (saves money and there is no 2 year committment on features, the data package could be removed and the aircard you'd be stuck with for 2 years)
And yes, if your in a 3g network you can both tether and receive calls, but as stated before, make sure your not running on edge.
Customer care for AT&T can clear up any other questions you have. 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from your tilt.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.