all discussions

show all 5 replies

3G Coverage

CellStudent

Aug 9, 2008, 10:49 AM
Wow, are things really THIS lopsided?

http://www.rcrnews.com/assets/jpg/evdo.jpg »

http://www.rcrnews.com/assets/jpg/hpsa.jpg »

Does anyone out there with internal info see any problems with these maps?
rmcnamee

Aug 9, 2008, 2:25 PM
Here's my background: I used to sell T-Mobile, I've gotten a lot of internal info in the past, I've had T-Mobile and Verizon, my dad travels a lot and has both T-Mobile and AT&T, and every time I go anywhere, I make sure to check with the friends/family I came with who has the best coverage.

To my knowledge, those maps are accurate. Verizon/Sprint/Alltel have always gotten more and better reception than T-Mobile/AT&T wherever I've gone, especially inside buildings and tunnels and where the landscape would interfere.

If you want to dig a little deeper, Verizon usually has better reception than anyone, and AT&T usually has better reception for their technology (GSM/HSPA).

I do know for a fact that EVDO is much more widespread than HSP...
(continues)
willv

Aug 12, 2008, 1:31 PM
yeah i would have to agree the maps are pretty accurate. do this.

go to att website and find a 3g coverage map, you cant get a national one, you must zoom in a little more.

then go to vzw and check their 3g map. you can get national, and the differences are tremendous!

not even comparable
Duct Taper

Aug 14, 2008, 8:50 AM
If you zoom in to maximum you can even see the network guys and galls if the VZ helicopter isnt above them!
michael_herc

Aug 14, 2008, 9:30 PM
No. This is definitely correct. CDMA and EVDO are in virtually every part of the country. Even in my rural part of Michigan. GSM is only EDGE here and pretty much for a HUGE radius around me. UMTS/HSDPA is only in like THREE major cities in Michigan. EVDO covers almost EVERYTHING. Also, I must say, after having BOTH Verizon and AT&T and traveling with them, Verizon by far has the best coverage, reception, and data speeds. I'm going to go off on a limb and say that Sprint and Alltel are about the same. AT&T just really lacks in the coverage department, so does T-Mobile.
GadeTerbob

Sep 9, 2008, 12:12 PM
I have no inside info on this....I'm just a consumer. I've used att since 1996 (Cingular and Cell One back then). I've tethered laptops to phones since 2000.

I'm using sprint's evdo rev a 'cause it is everywhere I go (west tx, ok, mo and ks) and it is extremely reliable. Still using att for voice, but when that contract expires.....

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.