Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 15 replies

I got the first post!!!

Corpo Rat

Dec 28, 2004, 11:57 AM
Nyaaaaah!

I am digging on the 5220, for all its quirks. Not as solid as the 555 or the pc3320, but good nonetheless.
Corpo Rat

Dec 28, 2004, 11:58 AM
Hey, how'd he do that?!? Lol. 😁

Thanks, Rich. I've been thinking this was going to be needed eventually.
Rich Brome

Dec 28, 2004, 12:20 PM
I've had the 5220 for a few months, and it's been a pretty miserable experience. I've been to many cities coast-to-coast, and it was one of the worst, most unreliable, slowest pieces of crap I've ever had the displeasure of using. Even in San Diego and the northeast - complete crap. ☚ī¸ Nothing but bad connections - stalling and dropping constantly - and slow as heck.

But then a Verizon tech upgraded me to version 5.1 of the software, and it's been much better since then. Still not as good as I expected in a recent trip through the D.C. area, but much, much better than before. 🙂

I think my issues now are just due to the poor antenna performance of the 5220.

So if you have the 5220, make sure you have the very latest software - it c...
(continues)
Corpo Rat

Dec 28, 2004, 1:40 PM
You definitely need the latest software with the 5220, this is true.

One gripe I have about that card is the fact that if you let the connection go inactive for a few minutes, the card will report back as 'dormant' but still connected, then when you try to move to another website, it takes 3-4 seconds to 'reconnect'. I never had that issue with my 3320. Annoying as hell, but I've had good results in Broadband Access areas, like New Orleans.

What I'd like VZW to do is release the amped-up version of the Sierra 555 - a wardog if there ever was one. Totally reliable. The Sierra 580, I believe it is. The PC3220/5220 framework is lousy, yes. The poor RF performance is due to the way the antenna is permanently attached to the board. Accord...
(continues)
toolfreek

Jan 28, 2005, 3:42 AM
Yes its true the card(5220) is a bit flakey. but they all are and its not the cards its mostly the software. I had the same results with a 580 as a 5220. The 3320 is only 1x so whats the point. If your using VZaccess manager make sure your using 5.1.0. Very important. đŸ˜ŗ You can also go to Audiovox.com and download the Modile Connection mamager(MCM) 2.5 PC5220V_INSTALL_2.5.exe; run the debug mode for EV-DO service where available, and lastly for God sakes never ever use the Venturi compression software 2.3 to "make your connections faster" 😉 . Back to the MCM 2.5 using the debug mode. when you've launched the MCM click on help button- go to the about tab- and do a double right click on the picture of a hand holding a red book, you'll ...
(continues)
Michael1963

Feb 22, 2005, 10:18 PM
There is a real easy way to keep your card out of dormant mode. Have a web page that reloads every 15 seconds or so. There is a page at:

http://www.EVDO-Info.com »

that does this. Also, they will be releasing a very COOL application that you run in the background that keeps your PC 5220 card going into dormant mode.
nextel18

Jan 5, 2005, 12:06 AM
rich, on that phone that you have just mentioned, if you remember, what were the data speeds that you were able to get? (ie was it 1.5mb/s? 800kb/s? etc..)
nasti

Feb 2, 2005, 3:32 PM
I've recently been told by a VZW employee that the Mpls/Stpaul market has 14 towers being tested right now out of the 200+ towers that cover the local area codes. Has anyone used their EV-DO cards here (MN) with any luck yet? I'm thinkng of getting a card from a different city and using it here until they officially launch.
-I'm also in process of contact a network engineer for verification of testing.
nextel18

Feb 2, 2005, 11:23 PM
do you think its worth the 80 bucks per month?
monkeyracer

Feb 6, 2005, 6:54 PM
In my opinion these services seem a little overpriced, I'm not sure what similar services other markets have, but in denver and san diego, we are able to get Ricochet (ricochet.com) for wireless mobile internet access.
It uses it's own towers (repeaters placed on top of streetlights and telephone poles) and speeds range from (not completely sure on the numbers exactly) about 50 kbps to 1.4 mbps and burst speeds of about twice that. (At least in the denver market.) Their monthly subscription is $30, and they sent my modem for free. That is why I don't think it smart to pay $80 for VZW's wifi-hotspot-only service. (Ricochet is based on cell technology, so the distances are greater.) Unless of course you are going to be in a market that is wi...
(continues)
toolfreek

Feb 6, 2005, 10:46 PM
VZW doesn't even sell wi-fi, and it's all based on Cell technology. CDMA matter of fact and it's called WWAN(Wide Wireless Area Network)...
monkeyracer

Feb 7, 2005, 3:19 PM
well either way, ricochet is cheaper and from what i've seen is more reliable at least here in denver.
toolfreek

Feb 7, 2005, 4:12 PM
good for Denver then...
monkeyracer

Feb 7, 2005, 4:21 PM
yes
nextel18

Feb 6, 2005, 11:30 PM
very true.. thanks...
Michael1963

Feb 26, 2005, 5:40 PM
Regarding poor antenna performance of the PC 5220 card, there is now a reasonably priced PC 5220 EVDO Booster antenna available at:

http://Booster-Antenna.com »

It really helps in making your signal stronger and increasing the speed of the card.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.