Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 5 replies

Questions about EDGE

IkeOLP

Jan 27, 2005, 8:48 AM
From what i gather, it is a simple upgrade to GPRS for faster data transfer. But:

A. Is it available in the US yet?
B. Do you need an EDGE enabled phone to benefit?
C. What are some of the new capabilities for phones with EDGE?

Thanks Guys.
Rich Brome

Jan 27, 2005, 1:38 PM
A. Yes. Cingular offers it nearly nationwide.

B. Yes.

C. Things like basic streaming video playback and PTT (walkie-talkie).
swamp_donkey

Feb 4, 2005, 6:30 PM
Perhaps Rich has heard this, but I recieved info that Motorola is testing successful PTT trials on Cingular's EDGE network in the midwest. I think it is being delayed to launch untill all GSM towers include EDGE. Could be wrong, but it is available in certain switch programs and I ran across a Motorola account that has it available.
Bout time!! 😁
jackal

Mar 5, 2005, 12:10 AM
As a former telecom employee close to PTT for the carriers, ATT Wireless was very close to launching prior to merger w/ Cingular. They were much further along in deployment of Edge than Cingular and this is a big requirement due to bandwidth. Now that merger (rather announcement) is complete, Cingular will eventually move back towards highspeed nationwide and with it, ptt.
YOOP33

Mar 19, 2005, 10:11 PM
Supposedly with the 3650 (I think) with TMobile you were able to PTT. The only problem was that it would save the talk as a packet and send it GPRS so the delay forever. I would assume this is how Cingular would do it in a similar way with EDGE
burntorange

Apr 2, 2005, 9:13 PM
Didn't work well.. I dodn't think the process will be the same as the symbian add on..

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.