Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 16 replies

Verizon: Can I still make voice phone calls with just the data plan?

adlertom

Jan 25, 2005, 3:36 PM
I'm considering a Verizon data plan ($80/month for unlimited MB). Reading the brochure, it lists a 25 cents/minute rate for "Other Data Services (e.g. Quick 2 Net, dial up connections)"

I like the Audiovox 6600 and would like to use that as a wireless modem for my laptop. It would mostly be used for that, but I would also like to be able to make and receive occasional phone calls. I don't mind paying 25 cents/minute for the voice phone service, as my voice needs would be minimal. Since my voice needs are so low, I really can't justify $35/month for a voice plan on top of the $80/month for the data plan.

Can anyone advise if this will work? I'm also curious what voice "goodies" if any I would have access to, like call forwarding, v...
(continues)
toolfreek

Jan 27, 2005, 1:56 AM
adlertom said:
I'm considering a Verizon data plan ($80/month for unlimited MB). Reading the brochure, it lists a 25 cents/minute rate for "Other Data Services (e.g. Quick 2 Net, dial up connections)"

I like the Audiovox 6600 and would like to use that as a wireless modem for my laptop. It would mostly be used for that, but I would also like to be able to make and receive occasional phone calls. I don't mind paying 25 cents/minute for the voice phone service, as my voice needs would be minimal. Since my voice needs are so low, I really can't justify $35/month for a voice plan on top of the $80/month for the data plan.

Can anyone advise if this will work? I'm also curious what voice "goodies" if any I would have
(continues)
adlertom

Jan 29, 2005, 5:28 PM

all you have to do is get a call plan for say 39.99 then add a PDA/Smartphone package for unlimited data at 44.99, so you'll have 450 voice minutes and unlimted data usage to use your PDA as a modem to your notebook as much as you want. all via bluetooth connectivity... 🙂

Thanks for the tip. $45/month is better than $80/month for the same thing!

I also learned in another forum that Verizon has $15 and $25/month voice plans available that they don't advertise.
toolfreek

Jan 29, 2005, 6:03 PM
adlertom said:

all you have to do is get a call plan for say 39.99 then add a PDA/Smartphone package for unlimited data at 44.99, so you'll have 450 voice minutes and unlimted data usage to use your PDA as a modem to your notebook as much as you want. all via bluetooth connectivity... 🙂

I also learned in another forum that Verizon has $15 and $25/month voice plans available that they don't advertise.

Thats true. $15 for 25min, $20 for 50min and $25 for 100 minutes. You'll have to say that you never use the phone and you also may have to threaten to cancel your service if you can't get it very...
(continues)
adlertom

Jan 29, 2005, 11:16 PM
Back to the package for 44.99. You will be able to connect using the EV-DO service but never let them know that your going to be connecting your laptop with it. The system has no way to prevent the connection to go through. It's a huge loophole in the system and customer service is clueless when it comes to data usage charges...hope this helps. 😉

You say the data package costs $44.99, but I see it on their website for $49.99. Does price vary by region and/or do you know of some discount that I don't?
toolfreek

Jan 30, 2005, 4:03 AM
adlertom said:
Back to the package for 44.99. You will be able to connect using the EV-DO service but never let them know that your going to be connecting your laptop with it. The system has no way to prevent the connection to go through. It's a huge loophole in the system and customer service is clueless when it comes to data usage charges...hope this helps. 😉

You say the data package costs $44.99, but I see it on their website for $49.99. Does price vary by region and/or do you know of some discount that I don't?

Thats the "data only" package w/out a call plan attached to it. Select a call plan first then you can add data also for only 44.99. Second, going back to the "s...
(continues)
proud2bamerican8

Feb 4, 2005, 2:00 AM
If you have Sprint service in your area, the Sprint data plans will allow you to make voice calls at 0.20/min.

You should be able to get data card inexpensively thru a vendor site such as usafreewireless or freephonesnow and have a Sprint data plan activated onit that will have the voice capability that you want. You don't have to buy a separate voice plan of $44 or even $20/mo to make a few calls. 😎
toolfreek

Feb 4, 2005, 3:52 AM
Are you sure that Sprint has the EV-DO service to use though? 300 - 500kb/s up to 2mb/s. You can make voice calls also on a data only plan with VZW @ .25/min also. The bottom line here is how fast are sprints data speeds? Coverage with sprint may be a factor too... 😕
verizonmatt

May 26, 2005, 3:40 PM
No Sprint does not have evdo coverage yet! Like the person said above make sure you do not tell the sales rep that you will we tethering as a modem beacuse they will bluntly reply that the service for that will run you 79.99!!! They will not know otherwise. I use my lg 4700 as a modem daily and it registers as a ptt call. I love it!!! 🙂 😁 🤣
proud2bamerican8

Feb 4, 2005, 5:02 AM
toolfreek said:
adlertom said:

Thats true. $15 for 25min, $20 for 50min and $25 for 100 minutes. You'll have to say that you never use the phone and you also may have to threaten to cancel y...
(continues)
toolfreek

Feb 5, 2005, 12:00 AM
proud2bamerican8 said:
toolfreek said:
adlertom said:

Thats true. $15 for 25min, $20 for 50min and $25 for 100 minutes. You'll have to say that you never use the phone an...
(continues)
proud2bamerican8

Feb 5, 2005, 1:00 AM
Not interested in discussing what the definition of "is" is. The TOS of the various data plans are pretty clear. And his statement that his voice usage is only occasional and he didn't mind 0.25/min was upfront.

My point is only (and I said it first, glad to see that now you appear to agree with me) that he needs one plan for data on the laptop that allows casual voice usage to meet his needs; not two plans -- a voice plan for the phone and a data plan for the phone.

Your response really begs the question. If a restaurant offers All You Can Eat on Saturday afternoon, are you going to show up Tuesday expecting to get the same? A company has the right to determine how, and for how much and under what conditions they offer their services...
(continues)
toolfreek

Feb 5, 2005, 2:02 AM
do you have VZW service???Because you don't seem to understand how all these devices are relating to one another. And yes. If I see several other people on Tuesday eating the buffet, I should get the same. I have a better analogy later. I work at VZW. Here's what the company wants.49.99 for the data usage from the 6600(49.99 is only to look at websites from the 6600s' display) or sync e-mail and 79.99 if you intend to use it as a modem for your laptop. So that's 49.99 + 79.99 = 129.98. This is all unlimited data by the way and you still have to pay .25/min. He could just as easily do 49.99 for data only, make calls at .25/min. His original post was that he didn't want to have a $80 data plan with the audiovox 6600 and still get hit with voic...
(continues)
adlertom

Feb 5, 2005, 9:48 PM

Aldertom-
Here's what I would have it were me. I'd have a laptop on my lap connected via bluetooth with the 6600 at my side, and my moto bluetooth headset in my ear for occasional calls. All I'd pay is 39.99 for the call plan and 44.99 for the data. 74.99. That $5 less that what you would have done and a little more than you need. .25/min is $40 if you use 160 minutes. If you use less than 160/min then go with only the 49.99...

enjoy...

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Phonescoop is a great resource.

I've been giving this quite a bit of thought and doing a lot of reading here since my original posting. The Audiovox 6600 with a $49.99 data plan would certainly be adequate for me. I currently only use ...
(continues)
toolfreek

Feb 6, 2005, 2:35 AM
yes, but your right already. You have to have the PDA. You did a very good job hunting...
XPDX

Feb 5, 2005, 2:30 AM
One at a time here.1) He's connecting the laptop to the internet using the audiovox 6600 via bluetooth. having a 6600 requires a 44.99 or 49.99 data plan.2) he didn't specify how many minutes he would use, but did specify he wanted both voice and data to use. 3) .25/min can get expensive. 4) he would have had to spend 79.99 for the data anyway, 39.99 was just a example. 5) they're customers still out there that use there national access 60-80kb/s and don't pay for it. Why should he pay 79.99 + 44.99, when he could simply just pay 44.99 and do the same exact thing.

quick questions...
1. data exchanges and voice calls look different to the switches do they not? if they do, the only way i know of to spoof the switch is to use a computer t...
(continues)
toolfreek

Feb 5, 2005, 3:26 AM
your answer to question 1. The provisioning when activating a Audiovox 6600 gets the data capabilties automatically. theres 3 choices. 1)pay as you go for .015 per kb.2)24.99 for 5Mb, or 3)44.99 for unlimited Mb. all three of these add the EV-DO feature in the switch to use the 300 - 500 kb/s. VZW says you do, but you don't have to add the 79.99 broadband access to the account. To the switch these appear to be the same. to your pocket book they don't. Especially with the 6600 when you have the PDA connected to the laptop, all you do is "create a manual connection" in Windows 2000/XP to use the laptop.
access number is==> #777
username is==>10digit mobile#@vzw3g.com
and PW is==> vzw
The data plans are all you need...

to question 2.
N...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.