Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 15 replies

data plans

FarBeyond

Mar 18, 2008, 12:20 PM
I work for Sprint. I have ATT.

How come Sprint can give unlimited data for $15 on any device.... And ATT wants me to pay $35 on my pocket pc?!?!?!?!?
Donna FireHammer

Mar 18, 2008, 8:25 PM
and i know this from personal experience at&t r@pes the sh!t out of their cusomers 😳
Crapbag

Mar 18, 2008, 8:49 PM
Because they can. AT&T has made a concerted effort to get more out of data features by not offering standard phones which would be eligible for the $20 feature with a full qwerty key board. The closest they have come is the Iphone. All PDA like devices have to go on the PDA data plan.
tkboxer

Mar 18, 2008, 11:47 PM
AT&T assumes that any customer that purchases a smartphone such as Windows Mobile, Blackberry or Palm will use push email that could produce considerable data flow. In a way I understand their position but I think what is best for customer satisfaction is to offer the phones with and without a push email data package. That would mean a $15 data for non push email users.
That being said, it probably won't happen. A good choice would be to buy a unlocked smartphone of your choice and add that $15 unlimited data plan on your account from AT&T's site. This is what I have done with a Nokia N95 and Nokia N82.
FarBeyond

Mar 19, 2008, 7:38 AM
It literally doesnt show a data option on the website for my line...

just messaging, and i have that already.
tkboxer

Mar 19, 2008, 7:57 AM
I'm betting thats because you bought the smartphone your using from them, they made you add the smartphone/pda package and so when you access your account you cannot see the other data plans since they require you have the data plan you have. At this point you would have to convince them you got rid of the smartphone and now have a conventional phone with internet capability and only need the $15 unlimited data plan. Thats what I would try if I were in your situation.
I AM GOD

Mar 27, 2008, 7:06 PM
switch the imei to an old phone.
tkboxer

Mar 27, 2008, 11:00 PM
How does one change the imei in a phone? How do you access it and would any series of numbers work or do they have to be specific?
I AM GOD

Mar 28, 2008, 10:31 AM
call customer service, but have an actual, unused (not in use at the time, it can be an ancient phone) imei. They can tell exactly what phone you will be "putting on your account" by the imei. It is very specific.
tw6852

Mar 29, 2008, 7:59 PM
AT&T locks feature availability by the serial number on the phone. If you change your IMEI (serial number) to that of another phone, you can have access to the cheaper internet features (except if you're a blackberry user). As far as the politics of the matter...the largest/fastest wireless company in America has the nerve to charge that much on all PDA phone because of the aforesaid fact. If you want cheap/bad service go to Sprint. Just make sure you check out their 4th quarter earnings for '07 before you decide to sign up with a company like that.
FarBeyond

Apr 1, 2008, 9:57 PM
As a matter of fact, i work for a sprint subcontractor (one of their call centers, 3rd party collections/care).

I used my knowledge of sprint and their plans to call ATT and complain.

i had the $20 unlimited media net on my 8125 and got a 8525 and as soon as i put the card in the net didn't work. i then called att to find out why. they said the plan wasnt compat with the new phone, have to go to $35 plan.

had i not called, im sure i would have continued being billed for it...

So i just called back yesterday... this woman in cust care tried a bunch of crap, nothing worked. i told her i was willing to go with another carrier and wanted to speak to cancellation/retention...

they told me not only was there not any other plans tha...
(continues)
tkboxer

Apr 2, 2008, 9:33 PM
What irritates me about the data plan situation is this, I live in a area that only has EDGE service, it is way too slow, I am always looking for a WLAN to connect to. Why would I even consider paying more than $15 a month for this service? You bring me 3G service and then we can talk about charging me a little more.
FarBeyond

Apr 3, 2008, 6:57 PM
Im not in a 3G area either...

No one has high speed data here (West Virginia)...

but I guess ATT is rolling out HSPA everywhere by end of year... yeah right...

AT&T's HSPA Network to be Complete in 2008
Yesterday, 7:02 PM by Eric M. Zeman updated Yesterday, 6:23 PM

Hank Kafka, vice president of network architecture for AT&T Mobility, confirmed that the company will have its entire 3G network upgraded to HSPA by the end of this year. AT&T rolled out HSDPA throughout 2007 and began adding HSUPA late in 2007. It had 255 markets running HSDPA by the end of 2007 and will have 350 major metropolitan markets covered by HSPA, enabling download speeds of 7.2Mbps, before the start of 2009.

I AM GOD

Apr 4, 2008, 12:31 PM
Not everywhere, but over their existing 3g network. EDGE should be getting a good speed boost soon that will technically make it a 3g standard as far as speeds go. I live in an area in Illinois that is slightly outside 3g, but blanketed in Sprint's EVDO, so guess who I have my aircard through?
FarBeyond

Apr 6, 2008, 8:50 PM
so your other posts, where you from in IL? im origionally from the decatur/springfield area.
I AM GOD

Apr 4, 2008, 12:27 PM
Service may be less expensive, and their customer service is average at best, but their network service is top notch. Their financial difficulties haven't changed the fact that my Sprint phone works in my house and where I go, where my at&t phone does not.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.