Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 13 replies

Any AT&T employees know when HSPA

Jayshmay

Feb 27, 2008, 4:48 PM
Do any AT&T employees know when the day is ever going to be here when there are data speeds that are real world/end user that are well over 2mbps.

I'm not interested in words like theoretical, or advertised speeds! I am only interested in real world end user results.

So do any AT&T employees know when there will be 2,3,4mbps of end user speeds??? If this helps, I live in Las Vegas, Nv.
downphoenix

Mar 1, 2008, 9:25 PM
This year, and only through Sprint's upcoming Wi-max network, which will be the only true 4G network that will launch in 2008 (unless LTE can make it out at the end of the year).
Jayshmay

Mar 1, 2008, 11:00 PM
This year as in AT&T will have HSDPA speeds of 2mbps or higher? I live in Las Vegas, Nv if that helps.
downphoenix

Mar 1, 2008, 11:20 PM
Maybe, but I used to use AT&T in the past and their data speeds sucked in my area, they still use EDGE around here, LOL, while Sprint uses Evdo, BIG difference, like 10x faster, so that's why I say you migth as well consider WiMax when it kicks off, it'll be much faster than HSDPA, which like EVDO Rev A is just an upgrade of current technology, plus Sprint's data plans are cheaper anyway.
Jayshmay

Mar 1, 2008, 11:30 PM
Yeah, you've got a point there about Sprint being cheaper.
With regards to the near future though, Sprint isn't going to have WiMax deployed to most of the country til probably the end of 09.

I have already gotten speeds of 1.5mbps on my 3G handset using AT&Ts network, though I don't get that speed consistently. The 1.5mbps was achieved in Las Vegas Nv where AT&T does have HSDPA deployed.
downphoenix

Mar 1, 2008, 11:58 PM
Though it has a theoretical 7mbps limit, 1.5 is usually the best you'll actually see.

You probably have to wait until LTE or WiMax for something faster. I have no idea what AT&T is planning b/c they said they are backing LTE but I have also heard they are buying spectrum in WiMax too, not sure which is true, or what they plan on doing with their wimax spectrum (maybe use it just for home wireless internet or something like that, since that's where Wimax is really starting anyway) if both are true.
Jayshmay

Mar 2, 2008, 9:53 AM
The word theoretical means nothing to me, nor do average advertised speeds fro At&t, only real, end user speeds mean anything to me.
I do believe we'll see higher speeds that 1.5 before the end of the decade and befor LTE is deployed.
tw6852

Mar 29, 2008, 8:08 PM
Oh my. AT&T consistently has data users testing speeds of 2 mbps. I do it everyday. An update to HSDPA should render averages of 3.6 mbps and peaks of 7.2 mbps by October. Especially in Vegas! Sprint is horribly slow....try 800 kbps. Anyone who thinks Sprint has a profitable future should look at their 4th quarter earnings for '07 and ask themselves why Sprint is the only company projecting to lose customers...
Jayshmay

Mar 29, 2008, 8:18 PM
So,. . .you say by October, huh? What makes you say that???

To be honest w/u I don't have an AT&T aircard, I've gotten peak speeds of 1.5mbps of unlocked/unbranded Nokia N95-3.

I am very, very curious what makes you say average speeds of 3.6mbps by October?
tw6852

Mar 29, 2008, 8:28 PM
Well check this out. May 06' data speeds from AT&T are 1.5 average... and peak at 3.6. November 07' they are 2 and peak at 4....and AT&T says they can make updates and dampened the base station load to increase speeds...I'm pretty confident they can. There is no carrier that currently comes close to AT&T's speeds and will not be able to do so unless they rollout another technology. Wimax....lets not even discuss Sprint again. I have been doing this for a while and am pretty confident that AT&T can live up to this deadline.
tkboxer

Mar 30, 2008, 12:12 PM
tw6852, you appear to have professional knowledge of the AT&T network. I have a question concerning data speeds in non-metro areas. I recently read a article about Nokia/Seimens Networks producing a software upgrade for the EDGE network. (See article) I am wondering if this will take effect across the AT&T network and when it would do so. This is of interest to me because I do not live in a metro area and most likely will never see 3G or 4G speeds. Thanks for any info you can provide.
http://www.nokiasiemensnetworks.com/global/Press/Pre ... »
tw6852

Mar 30, 2008, 8:24 PM
Any new network implementation will take a while. When AT&T announces the projected updates for a network, that means the technology is in-hand and service contracts are being started. To settle a deal with Nokia...1-1 1/2 years I think, if at all. AT&T's current priority is not upgrading their old network though. They are more worried about rolling out 3G...maybe technology beyond this as well. this is a good idea anyways. I don't think a successful company will worry about every little corner of wyoming, when they can be updating 30 million people in New York. Sad fact but true. Where are you from?!?!
tkboxer

Mar 30, 2008, 8:38 PM
Thanks for that info tw6852. I live in Flagstaff, AZ. About 150 miles north of Phoenix. Flagstaff is at 7,000 feet in elevation and is a mountainous area that makes cell coverage difficult, that is why I thought a software upgrade would be good for areas like this. It sounds as though licensing from Nokia is a difficult or expensive proposition. A shame, especially when you consider there is no hardware cost and relatively little implementation costs to the upgrade.
Crapbag

Mar 29, 2008, 8:35 PM
At&t is currently at 1.8mbps. The next phase will be 3.6mbps then to 7.2mbps. I've heard rumor we will be seeing 3.6mbps roll out this year in some markets and up to 7.2mbps next year. We'll see if that actually comes through though. I couldn't tell you what markets.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.