Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 10 replies

Data Cards and Macs

zjc2a

Dec 28, 2004, 2:53 PM
has anyone used a mac and a data card from anyone? And is there any EDGE data cards?

-Z
Corpo Rat

Dec 28, 2004, 3:07 PM
zjc2a said:
has anyone used a mac and a data card from anyone? And is there any EDGE data cards?

-Z

Yes, there ARE EDGE data cards, I believe T-Mobile has one, and I'm pretty sure AT&Tingular is rolling one out.

The VZW cards CAN be used with PowerBooks & the like, but be aware that the drivers & software are from 3rd parties, and VZW will NOT provide tech support in that case. I think there's a thread on Howard Forums on this subject.
zjc2a

Dec 28, 2004, 3:24 PM
Would it be better to get a data card or use my phone for internet tethered to my computer or through Bluetooth? How does the provider know what to charge me for, I know cingular has data plans which work with data cards but won't the phone internet plans work if they are hooked up to my computer? Any have much experince with these things? How fast are they exactly, data cards or tethered phone?

-Z
zjc2a

Dec 28, 2004, 3:31 PM
Corpo Rat said:
zjc2a said:

-Z

Yes, there ARE EDGE data cards, I believe T-Mobile has one, and I'm pretty sure AT&Tingular is rolling one out.

The VZW cards CAN be used with PowerBooks & the like, but be aware that the drivers & software are from 3rd parties, and VZW will NOT provide tech support in that case. I think there's a thread on Howard Forums on this subject.

T-mobile is not rolling out EDGE for two years...But does Verizon give discounts if you have voice and a data plan with them? And how fast, on average is your data speed?

-Z
Corpo Rat

Dec 28, 2004, 3:45 PM
VZW doesn't give that sort of a discount, but I have personally experienced 60-80 Kbps throughput on 1XRTT, and over 300Kbps with EVDO. Plenty fast for what I use it for. I have a corporate discount, but that's something else altogether. You can get similar speeds using a tethered 1X phone, like a Motorola V60S (my backup) and Motorola Phone Tools. When the EVDO phones finally come out, you should be able to get EVDO speeds, or close to it, from a tethered solution.
Rich Brome

Dec 28, 2004, 9:57 PM
zjc2a said:
T-mobile is not rolling out EDGE for two years...

Not true. You're probably thinking of the recent headlines about T-Mobile not having 3G for two years. But that was talking about WCDMA, not EDGE.

T-Mobile has already deployed EDGE in dozens of markets. They were supposed to have 30 markets launched by now, but they ran into some delays. You should see them launching EDGE early next year.
Corpo Rat

Dec 29, 2004, 11:13 AM
Rich Brome said:
zjc2a said:
T-mobile is not rolling out EDGE for two years...

Not true. You're probably thinking of the recent headlines about T-Mobile not having 3G for two years. But that was talking about WCDMA, not EDGE.

T-Mobile has already deployed EDGE in dozens of markets. They were supposed to have 30 markets launched by now, but they ran into some delays. You should see them launching EDGE early next year.

You beat me to the punch, Rich. 😁
zjc2a

Dec 29, 2004, 12:35 PM
Ok Sometimes I am wrong...Thanks guys.

-Z
terryjohnson16

Jan 3, 2005, 1:35 AM
😁 Rich, with the current GPRS speeds that we see on the T-Zones phones and T-Mobile Internet network, will we see the webpages pop right up in the blink of an eye (like if we are using a cable modem or DSL on a computer compared to Dial-Up)on the new EDGE phones that T-Mobile will be offering or will it be on the Modem feature if you use your phone as a modem. How will we know when we are connected to the EDGE network while on a cell phone compared to when we are are on the GPRS network? Will EDGE make the calls clearer, and allow more coverage for data/Voice?
Nesper

Jan 6, 2005, 7:25 PM
Cingular has a Sony Ericsson GC83 data card, which is EDGE compatible.

It is not showing as being compatible with the Mac OS, though.

The price is 149.99 with a 150.00 rebate (2-year contract)
Nesper

Jan 6, 2005, 7:38 PM
sorry, that should be BEFORE a $150.00
🤭

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.