Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 14 replies

Why wifi on a phone?

sdgmcdon

Dec 12, 2007, 3:25 AM
Ok, I started to post this about 20 minutes ago, had a lot of good thoughts, ideas etc and posed the question "why is there a high demand and fulfillment level of wifi on a smartphone?"

...then one fatal typo key pressed (the "back" button) and POOF! everything I typed was gone...I'll make sure to complain to IBM/Lenovo about that nifty little pain in the ass "back and forward" buttom placement near the arrow keys on their T series notebooks...GRRR!!!!

So in laziness of not wanting to retype/rethink that post, here's a quick post just asking a simple question for survey purposes:

why is having wifi on a smartphone (or other phone?) important to you?

I'm not asking about wireless data plans on these phones, I'm asking about "wifi...
(continues)
overboost_t88

Dec 12, 2007, 10:06 AM
look up t-mo's hotspot at home then you will understand wifi on a phone

also why not?
ReaperTut

Dec 12, 2007, 1:18 PM
would you rather spend your data use from your phone if your just messing around on the net? or use free hot spots where availabe? tough choice. not. i think its a really good idea for those of us, who need to be connected to the net and our email at a constant pace. and with those of us that do have "umlimited data usaage**" from verizon, then your aware that really means 5GB per month, anything over that is overages. but who would even get to that. some people will, i may, i have yet to do so.. haha

-Reaper Tut
sdgmcdon

Dec 13, 2007, 12:49 AM
I use my smartphone constantly, emails, downloads, web, large file doanloads, tethering for my laptop frequently (shh!!!) and I have yet to have a problem with that unspoken limit.
mrmarler

Dec 13, 2007, 10:14 PM
Just to let you guys know the overages WILL NOT shut down your internet, it will simply down throttle your down speeds. By a lot. And it takes a lot to get to five gigs unless you are doing p2p which it says in the rate plan book and online that you aren't supposed to do p2p. I realize that Verizon isin't "totally upfront" about this but honestly it was never intended to be a mobile pirating device, which is all some people really want it for anyway.

And yes I do work for Verizon. Before you all start blabbing on about me singing Verizon's praises, know ahead of time that I am. They treat their employees great and we're not a non profit company in the first place so get over it.
I AM GOD

Mar 27, 2008, 7:02 PM
Since when is VZW not for profit? Can I have some of that crack you are smoking?
Skiffy

Apr 12, 2008, 1:56 PM
Looks like you have already smoked the whole bag, or enough to lose reading comprehension.

He said, "...we're not a non profit company..."
I AM GOD

Apr 12, 2008, 2:01 PM
Yes, I did, and I had that pointed out to me two weeks ago. Great timing.
JoMc

Mar 5, 2008, 12:31 PM
I am on the net non stop, or so it seems. Have to be... email, various accounts monitored.... ect. I hardly use wifi on my phone. I have verizon unlimited. most I have hit is 132000 kb. Guestemate... 1 1/2 gb?. Now verizon is changing their plan. I am ok for about two years, just resigned in January. But if I use wifi more, could I go with the cheaper plan? Jo
ralph_on_me

Mar 8, 2008, 12:24 PM
132,000 KB = 129.90 MB = 0.126 GB. You're well under the limit.

Now if you really meant Kb and not KB, then you're looking at 16,500 KB or 16.11 MB or 0.016 GB.
sdgmcdon

Dec 13, 2007, 12:48 AM
Battery Life & if it were wifi or twice the memory or faster processor etc in place of the space wifi takes up, wifi starts to make little sense...

I don't know, i guess it's just me...seems silly to pay hundreds of dollars for a phone that's entire point is the wireless data capabilities for email, web etc anywhere and 24x7 to not have a data plan (which thus makes the wifi pointless).

Just comes across to me as buying a ferrari and then requesting to have the power windows and AC removed so that you don't have to pay for it just to replace it with a cigarette lighter fan in the summer and deal with roll up windows otherwise.
I AM GOD

Mar 27, 2008, 7:00 PM
but the whole purpose for some people of buying a phone with wifi is so they can use data on their phone without having a data package... 😕 😕
motherboard

Dec 15, 2007, 7:30 AM
One of the primary reasons I desire Wifi on s smart phone is the speed. Sprints EVDO network tends to be slow at times and drop my connection often when viewing through slingbox mobile. I also like to have Wifi so that I have the option of using Skype mobile which works like crap on the EVDO network. With Skype mobile I am able to use my phone all over the world and every part of the country as long as I have a Wifi connection. Wifi is the perfect complement to the smart phone with the advantages and growth factor it presents. the only short fall to Wifi is that it drains the battery quickly. I like the new base stations being tested and used by both T-mobile and Sprint so that you can create your own service network in your home or of...
(continues)
tick

Mar 27, 2008, 11:24 AM
For casual web browsing. Here's a scenario:

You take a lunch break & would like to know what's going on in the world... many places have wifi, so no problem you read the news on your phone. Hell yeah! Then you chck your email, look at some pr0n, download some music & ebooks. 😉

Phone's with Wireless Connectivity Capabilities rock! (bring your phone charger)

Typo's aren't such a big deal because T9 works and web sites can be bookmarked!
X_MOSES_X

Apr 16, 2008, 12:46 PM
😕 It is sad that some carriers need wifi...Sprint has a fast enough and large enough network to not have to rely on wifi.. wifi can be borrowed from someone who is actually paying for the internet from someone who can't afford to use an air card @ $60 a month or a PDA with a data plan @ $15 or higher. They can use a password s if they want so you cannot hack into their internet service. Wi Fi sucks because it isn't everywhere and it can dissapear @ the drop of a hat.. The signal fluctuates way to often. This ensures you to be kicked of a lot. Carriers like Alltel, AT&T, T-mobile and Verizon rely way to much on sorry a s s Wifi.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.