Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 6 replies

Data for Laptop

moWhite

Aug 27, 2007, 10:27 AM
I want to be able to connect to the Internet from my laptop when traveling or on vacation. I don't want to pay a new monthly fee for 24/7 data plan, I will only use this occasionally.

Verizon will let me add / drop there data plan whenever I want and use my cell phone as a modem.

AT&T announced something with there GO Phone at the beginning of the summer, but I can find zero details and there retail sales people haven't been able to explain / find this new feature.

Are there other options? I wouldn't mind paying for a PC Card or USB Card and paying some sort of pre-pay.
nextel18

Aug 27, 2007, 3:48 PM
I haven’t looked at the data plans recently, but I remember that some of them have unlimited and some have limits and price points on the MBs of usage, however, I urge you to get an unlimited plan because it is better for that person since there is a possibility you could go over your allowed data usage. They also do not restrict them once you are .0001kb over. You do not want a surprise in your bill.
wfine81

Aug 28, 2007, 12:00 PM
But if he's only going to use it sparingly then the "Capped Unlimited" (i.e. Verizon) wouldnt matter to him.

To the OP, Verizon and Sprint have the fastest Data networks (EVDO Rev A), out right now.
nextel18

Aug 28, 2007, 2:40 PM
Very true but I always say it is better to be safe than sorry. What if moWhite wants to use a lot more then he would pay a lot more. Changes can happen and if it is only a few dollars per month from a designated amount to unlimited it is best to pay that usage for unlimited.
Eric Lee Elliott

Sep 13, 2007, 1:52 PM
As I travel outside cities, Verizon is limited to 17KB/S, ATT does 25KB/S. In cities VZW may be best, but my travels are not there. If you want fast service in south Texas, south of Miami FL, AL, GA, AR, ATT laptop connect is 25/17 faster.
StoreLead

Sep 2, 2007, 1:25 PM
i'm not sure about vzw's phone as a modem (PAM) pricing is, but sprints is $40/month, and you can add it and drop it whenever you want. if you keep it for less than a full billing cycle, you will of course get a prorate for that service, which can result in a confusing bill, but i think you'll find that problem with any carrier that you add and drop a service mid-billing cycle.

also sprint does have the largest footprint for data access in the US, so you would probably end up having better luck in the long run going with Sprint, IMO.
protekt0r

Nov 12, 2007, 2:06 PM
I work for ATT and haven't heard anything whatsoever in regards to GoPhone and wireless data. Perhaps you misread?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.