Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 41 replies

Who is Faster, Verizon or Cingular/AT&T?

sdgmcdon

Oct 8, 2007, 5:23 PM
I am currently on Verizon's network for voice and data. Thinking of switching to Cingular AT&T however as we keep having call issues with Verizon that Verizon has not been any help on - that aside Cingular/AT&T has been known for dropped call issues in our area, Oregon, but they seem to be getting better from what I hear. My only concern would be data speed as we use a lot of data both on the smartphone, tethered to a laptop and using laptop cards. Verizon now is useable, fast enough to do most of what we need to do, but not blazing fast, usually over 100K, sometimes around 500K.

Is Cingular's/AT&T's network about the same? Faster? Slower?
nextel18

Oct 8, 2007, 5:46 PM
As of right now, Verizon’s DO is faster than AT&T’s network. Shortly, AT&T will be updating its network with HSPDA and HSUPA making their speeds (theoretically) faster than Verizon’s.
Around 500k? What are you using? REV A or O?
sdgmcdon

Oct 8, 2007, 7:06 PM
on the smartphone likely rev 0 (Treo 700's) but we have new rev a data cards, definetely faster than the smartphone tethering.

Hmmm...Sounds like in the long run probably a wash then.

I'm waiting for the iPaq 910 to hit the stores to check it out. In addition to carrier issues I'm kind of getting tired of the Treos primarly because of the bluetooth earpiece issues, but amongst other things I think the iPaq, at least the 910's, might prove to be an all around better device.
nextel18

Oct 8, 2007, 9:35 PM
Yea well REV A is faster than REV O. Verizon isn’t very good with data but AT&T isn’t good either. I would say let AT&T roll out both HSDPA/HSUPA in your market and in many markets nationwide before you try them. You know it is very expensive for them to have these types of networks. See maybe if T-mobile’s HSPA might be a better choice, but you have to wait. I think you have to be patient here. Verizon isn’t good with data because they don’t have the proper spectrum to deliver better and high speeds. You know they care about voice.
swat220

Oct 19, 2007, 10:25 PM
nextel18 I have a question for you. As far as I am aware, Verizon's network is divided into two separate services, EVDO and the 1x correct? EVDO handles strictly data and 1x handles strictly voice? Shouldn't this theoretically improve the speeds for data and clarity and connectivity for voice because there is less interference from each other?
nextel18

Oct 20, 2007, 11:56 AM
I do not remember if that is their exact setup but it makes sense for that exist, however, there will always be interference whether or not it is nominal is the ultimate question. 1x does not hold a lot of capacity so voice could be impacted if the right spectrum and towers are not used appropriately, but Verizon does a great job on their voice network, which can be shown, by their metrics and results. With EV-DO, ideally, it should improve but perhaps they are not putting many of their resources in to the EV0DO network. Remember they have many 800 MHz and that is why you are seeing them buying into the 1.9 GHz and other spectrum bands because the 800 MHz is excessively crowded and interference can arise. I am not sure whether that answered...
(continues)
aschehl

Dec 18, 2007, 12:29 PM
EVDO is stricty data right now.
Chippewas86

Nov 3, 2007, 10:03 AM
Sprint is faster. 😁
IamTheGodfather

Nov 6, 2007, 9:54 AM
Verizon is faster than everyone, and we are in more places in the US than all the providers. We have DSL type speeds in more areas, while ATT is similar to dial up and Sprint is just flat out jun unless your in one of the 13 cities they cover.
protekt0r

Nov 12, 2007, 2:01 PM
Please educate yourself. Nowhere in the US is ATT "similar" to dial up... and sprint covers WAY more cities than 13. Don't believe all the things Verizon teaches you in sales training little guy.
Jayshmay

Jan 11, 2008, 5:00 PM
Good job with the post, I like your post, Verizon brain washes people with they're network talk!!!

AT&T's network is just fine, both voice, and data. though I am looking forward to the day when there are real world, end user speeds of over 3mbps!!!, and none of this stupid theoretical, or advertised speeds, that's why I use phrases like real world, and end user!!!
mrsancho07

Nov 24, 2007, 11:50 AM
Verizon does have the best sevice out of all the providers. I used att and it was always really slow. i never got more than 300 kps. i have a verizon pc card and i get great coverage and the speeds are awesome. i get anywhere from 600kps to 900kps. a lot better than att
Jayshmay

Jan 11, 2008, 5:02 PM
What city do you live in?
Jayshmay

Jan 11, 2008, 4:57 PM
You say ATT is like dial up! Isn't dial up 56kbps? Even EDGE is quite a number of times faster than that! AT&T is more like 500/600/ and even 800kbps, assuming your in an HSDPA covered area.

You really lost me when it comes to this dial up stuff, your probably brain washed by Verizon.
protekt0r

Nov 12, 2007, 1:58 PM
As of right now, the majority of AT&T's metro areas have been upgraded to HSDPA. HSUPA should be online around February. In contrast, a lot of Verizon's areas are still running of EVDO Rev 0. Furthermore, ALL of AT&T's network is EDGE while Verizon's worst fallback is the equivalent of GPRS (dial up speeds). Nothing on AT&T's network and partner coverage is slower than EDGE (236kbps)

If you travel OUTSIDE major metro areas and need to use an aircard, AT&T's data network is the best. If you're in major metro areas, Verizon and AT&T offer good service.

I live in Orlando, FL and I consistently get speeds of around 1mbit on at&t.
Jayshmay

Jan 11, 2008, 5:05 PM
Wow, 1mbit, do you ever get 2mbit's? How often do you get 1mbit?
WiMAX.Hacker

Dec 15, 2007, 4:43 PM
Overall and nationally speaking, Sprint has the largest as well as the fastest data network of any wireless carrier in the US. Sprint has already started their WiMAX trials in Chicago and will start the commercial deployment next year.
fyredawg

Dec 16, 2007, 10:54 AM
Sprint blows VZW and AT&T out of the water. They axed the nationwide WiMAX for a while, but they do have the trials going on in the Chicago area. Mostly because their former CEO was a ****e-head.
MetroTet

Dec 16, 2007, 10:51 PM
it has already been established that sprint has an extremely solid network... but they cannot over come the logistical issues in all manners of there implementation... and network quality does not dictate a carriers sucess... or else sprint would be on top... as a company sprint sucks... but there network is still nifty...
fyredawg

Dec 17, 2007, 11:16 AM
I agree completely. I used to work for those guys, and the company has been in shambles ever since the Nextel merger. If they can pull their stuff together, they would totally be on top, but they need to cut some fat in exec management, reformat the beaurocracy, and get some WAY better marketing...
just_asking

Dec 19, 2007, 9:00 AM
dc has rev a coming in on my aircard about 1m to 1.2m down. I think they are holding up the upload speed though. All my test top off at 256k.
coolestguyinsa

Dec 19, 2007, 11:25 AM
All Sprint Aircards default their cards to a certain speed. You can go under My Network Places, find the Sprint Aircard, right click on the icon, click on Properties, click on configure. There is a drop down box, then choose the highest speed available.

P.S. Used to work for Sprint did this all the time.
just_asking

Dec 20, 2007, 1:12 PM
I am using the sprint card through a linksys cdma router. WRT54G3G. Do you know if this will still work?
BigShowJB

Dec 21, 2007, 1:07 PM
if you can access your router settings, yes.

btw wimax is also out in NYC and a few other areas.

revA is being accelerated to areas still using 1x data,like mid michigan and other smaller markets
poweredup

Dec 21, 2007, 7:20 PM
last we heard we were getting evdo late 08' ☹️
BigShowJB

Dec 22, 2007, 8:32 AM
where are you?
poweredup

Dec 22, 2007, 4:00 PM
louisiana
poweredup

Dec 22, 2007, 4:02 PM
lafayette,la to be precise
Jayshmay

Jan 11, 2008, 5:09 PM
Is that 1-1.2mb speed consistent? Or is that the best speed you've gotten?
Marcus Fenix

Jan 11, 2008, 5:14 PM
You just watch what Dan Hesse, their new CEO, shall accomplish in 2008. Bring on the pain!
chocolateman85006

Dec 29, 2007, 5:15 PM
fyredawg said:
Sprint blows VZW and AT&T out of the water. They axed the nationwide WiMAX for a while, but they do have the trials going on in the Chicago area. Mostly because their former CEO was a ****e-head.

My 8525 kicks the Mogul's ass anyday of the week!
vonzippy04

Jan 11, 2008, 3:52 PM
ya sprints blows.....PERIOD!!!

it doesnt even match up to AT&T or verizon
Jayshmay

Jan 11, 2008, 4:38 PM
Hey, generally, I agree with you, but what about data, isn't Sprint supposedly better when it comes to data? It certainly seems as though if they aren't better now, that they will be by next year when WiMax is more nationally deployed.
chocolateman85006

Dec 29, 2007, 12:25 PM
At&t's internet is pretty good, and doesn't freeze up on me like Sprint and Verizon did (I tried a couple phones with each carrier, so I know what I'm talking about).
ReaperTut

Dec 29, 2007, 3:08 PM
where i am, verizon is better, a couple citys north of here, sprint would be better. go to thier pages and check thier service coverage maps. i know for a fact sprint has one.. unsure about ATT and verizon, but i would guess it'd be a good marketing tool, so that'd be the best way to go..
chocolateman85006

Dec 29, 2007, 4:00 PM
I feel ya. Verizon and AT&T are neck and neck in my house, while Sprint either gets one bar or goes into roaming. That's bullshit, considering that I live in the city.
ReaperTut

Dec 29, 2007, 4:16 PM
lol.. thats rpint for ya.. "sprint speed cause your running out of a service area quick!" ahaha
chocolateman85006

Dec 29, 2007, 5:14 PM
🤣 That, and my calls went to India, or wherever the ****; and they can't do **** right!
ReaperTut

Dec 29, 2007, 5:31 PM
lmao,.... i hate outsourcing.. we complain about our not having enough jobs for our own people but then you get fat head CEO's that pinch pennies and out source to other countries cause its cheaper... no wonder our dollar is worth less than the canadian!! or the euro.. !!! im moving to canada eh, where pot is legal, and so is whoring.. im gonna go back to man whoring.. made more money and could drink more that way.. lol.. i was paid for my time. not my body btw.. lol
chocolateman85006

Jan 1, 2008, 7:18 PM
I don't mind outsourcing if I cam understand what they're saying.
ReaperTut

Jan 3, 2008, 4:32 PM
im 50/50 on it. i got a customer survey for marlboro yesterday, and i couldn't understand half of what the lady was sayin. it took about 15 minutes to do a 3 minute survey. :\ but i wanted the coupons, so i was patient as i could be, but as soon as i heard the "ok sir you ..." i said thank you, bye and hung up.. am i an Arsehole for that?
chocolateman85006

Jan 3, 2008, 5:29 PM
🤣

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.