or

http://www.thestreet.com/tech/scottmoritz/10228025.html »

"Scott Moritz
Wireless Broadband Race Tightens
By Scott Moritz
Senior Writer
6/15/2005 8:39 AM EDT
URL: http://www.thestreet.com/tech/scottmoritz/102 28025.html

Everyone's playing to win the wireless data game, but the approaches are starting to differ.

Big telcos such as Cingular, Verizon Wireless and Sprint (FON:NYSE) are driving the high-speed push. Neck-and-neck in the early stages of this high-stakes race, they see wireless data as a big sales opportunity just as calling-service revenue is starting to plateau.

Selling office-speed Internet connecti...
(continues)
QueenB4Cingular

Jun 15, 2005, 4:56 PM
Yes. The wireless data race is underway; but Cingular seems to be on top of things. 😉
Al_Swearengen

Jun 16, 2005, 12:12 PM
I agree.
Whoever wrote the article stated that Cingular is still doing it's GSM switch. Uhhhh, that's done. Both ATT and Cingular have completed their network upgrades to GSM. What Cingular is doing now is ADDING more GSM coverage.
From what I have heard, Cingular will complete it's HSDPA upgrade by Q42006 and be ready for the next phase to HSUPA giving them the fastest cell data available. We're going to see a few things like wimax come into play that will compliment the cellular network, but that won't change the 3G plans for Cingular. It will only add to it.
nextel18

Jun 17, 2005, 4:53 PM
watch out for wimax though...

cingular has been having more complaints and sprint will be coming out with ev-do rev a which will be very well and they are the leader in data arpu.. so watch for sprint and then whoever does wimax will do well too.
Al_Swearengen

Jun 21, 2005, 12:52 PM
nextel18 said:
watch out for wimax though...

cingular has been having more complaints and sprint will be coming out with ev-do rev a which will be very well and they are the leader in data arpu.. so watch for sprint and then whoever does wimax will do well too.

Wimax won't be just for Sprint though. Wimax will be used primarily by the parent companies I bet. IE Verizon, SBC, Bellsouth. I'd bet my back teeth that they will offer it bundled with cell phone service.
nextel18

Jun 23, 2005, 2:01 PM
very true....

wimax, ipwireless will be fun!
nextel18

Jun 17, 2005, 4:52 PM
yea i am not sure if that statment is accurate. hsdpa is a bit speculative at times..

ev-do rev a is actually a pure wireless data and it is proven to do well.

also wimax will be beating out hsdpa.
Al_Swearengen

Jun 21, 2005, 12:56 PM
nextel18 said:
yea i am not sure if that statment is accurate. hsdpa is a bit speculative at times..

ev-do rev a is actually a pure wireless data and it is proven to do well.

also wimax will be beating out hsdpa.

You are totally confusing the use of wimax.
Wimax doesn't have any range compared to cell technology. It's going to be used for wireless in communities, not travel. You are going to see UMTS/Wimax phones and CDMA/Wimax phones. Wimax is designed to compliment these technologies not replace them.
Oh, and Super 3G will be coming around the corner too. Can you say 100 mbps ?
nextel18

Jun 23, 2005, 1:59 PM
i am not confusing wimax. wimax will be mobile in 2008 or so.. nextel/sprint could be using wimax and could be getting atleast 75mb/s anyway since they have plenty of mmds spectrum.

i think you are confused. 🙂

read intel's press releases on wimax..
Al_Swearengen

Jun 28, 2005, 9:29 PM
nextel18 said:
i am not confusing wimax. wimax will be mobile in 2008 or so.. nextel/sprint could be using wimax and could be getting atleast 75mb/s anyway since they have plenty of mmds spectrum.

i think you are confused. 🙂

read intel's press releases on wimax..

I did read it.
Wimax technology IS supposed to be used in metro areas. BUT, the only way it reaches the longer distances is if it is set in a directional/straight line. If you send the signal like you do with cell technology, then the range becomes MUCH smaller. The same thing can be done with wifi on a smaller scale, and it's already available.(sbc is already selling wifi bundles with dsl)
Not only that, more than likely, you won't see...
(continues)
Al_Swearengen

Jun 28, 2005, 9:45 PM
Here's an article on what the largest Wireless manufacturer says on the subject.

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2137804/nokia-outl ... »

Nokia has stressed that its recent decision to back WiMax wide area wireless broadband networking will not diminish its commitment to 3G mobile technology.

"When we made the WiMax announcement on Friday I was asked by many people if this means that Nokia is no longer as keen on 3G as it once was," said Simon Beresford-Wylie, executive vice president of Nokia networks.

"In fact 3G is very complementary to WiMax and will not form a replacement service."

Beresford-Wylie explained that Nokia sees WiMax as essentially a data-only transfer medium that would be used primarily in metropo
(continues)
Al_Swearengen

Jun 28, 2005, 9:49 PM
here's another article that explains what I am talking about.

http://www.wimaxxed.com/wimaxxed_news/bellsouth_to_l ... »

BellSouth to launch WiMax service
June 07, 2005

BellSouth, the largest US telecommunications group, is to launch a wireless broadband service for residential customers based on the emerging WiMax technology standard backed by Intel and other leading technology companies.

Although the WiMax radio standard has yet to be finally approved it is expected to provide users with high speed broadband internet access over wide areas, perhaps up to 30 miles, from a single cell site.

Atlanta-based BellSouth said it would offer "Fast-Access Internet Service", based on an early version of WiMax from August in Athens, Geo...
(continues)
nextel18

Jun 29, 2005, 12:30 PM
"Not only that, more than likely, you won't see the wireless carriers use it"

really? sprint pcs is testing it over their DO system...

nextel is also doing an ipwireless trial..

TIME FOR HIGH SPEEDS TO COME!!!!
Al_Swearengen

Jun 29, 2005, 4:15 PM
Well, I have looked in several areas to find any reference that would support your claim that 'Sprint PCS is testing WIMAX over their EV-DO network'.
The two technologies are not compatible. You can find a way to do live hand-offs but that's not the same thing.

What we DO see on the WIMAX forum list is companies like Sprint(not the wireless division), SBC, Bellsouth, and Covad.
I'm not saying that no wireless carriers will use it (nextel is part of the Forum, too). I'm saying the 'big boys' of the landline world will be switching to wimax for 'Fixed' wireless and use it to compliment their 'Mobile' wireless divisions. In other words, companies like Sprint will sell Wimax for 'wireless broadband' and EV-DO for mobile applications. There...
(continues)
nextel18

Jun 29, 2005, 4:37 PM
sorry, i phrazed that wrong... ☚ī¸ i ment that they are testing wimax, not that they were testing wimax on their do network..

sorry ☚ī¸
Al_Swearengen

Jun 29, 2005, 11:16 PM
nextel18 said:
sorry, i phrazed that wrong... ☚ī¸ i ment that they are testing wimax, not that they were testing wimax on their do network..

sorry ☚ī¸

No problem.
nextel18

Jul 5, 2005, 11:34 AM
🙂...

thanks...
0siris

Jun 26, 2005, 3:45 PM
I'd have to side with Nextel18 on this. WiMAX is being pushed as a Wireless Metro Area Network, meaning distances up to 50km. That's as large, or larger, than the coverage of a PCS/Cellular service tower. That, in turn, means it's capable of being a direct competitor to Cellular carriers. And at data rates that blow cellular out of the water for years to come.

And that so-called "super 3G" is a bit father away than you characterize. 4 years, minimum, based on what I'm seeing. That's enough time to lose a market completely.

Nothing's decided yet, but rose-colored forecasts won't stop things from happening.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.