Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 15 replies

hot spot phones

5 yorkies

Feb 12, 2011, 8:32 AM
I'm not very tech savy. Been told that phones like B/B torch & new Droid have built in hot spots. Does that mean I can operate my laptop off the phone or is there a catch?
OrionsVantage

Feb 12, 2011, 10:19 AM
nope, no catch. for the droid2 for example, you add a 2 gb 'tethering' plan on your bill for $20 a month, and away you go.
tpusa

Apr 13, 2011, 11:32 AM
research rooting and wireless tether
dj89

Feb 12, 2011, 4:09 PM
Just the extra money for the add-on.
Azeron

Feb 15, 2011, 7:09 PM
The only 'catch' is that you pay for the feature and it is not unlimited.
TMO-MAN

Feb 17, 2011, 2:38 PM
OR YOU ROOT YOUR PHONE AND DOWNLOAD AN APP THAT ALLOWS YOU TO DO IT FOR FREE
OrionsVantage

Feb 21, 2011, 7:54 PM
now, now, doing that is stealing. We wouldn't want that now, would we?
desireuser442

Feb 24, 2011, 3:32 PM
agreed orionsvantage if you get caught then you have voided out your contract and are subject to being terminated
tpusa

Apr 13, 2011, 11:34 AM
now, doing that is not stealing. i pay for an UNLIMITED data plan and i will use my open source android phone however i want.
dj89

Apr 17, 2011, 1:35 PM
Look at your terms of service. AT&T is already taking action against it, and I give it until the summer for the other carriers to pick up.
pickles

Apr 19, 2011, 8:17 PM
Rly? We're still debating this? your freaking android phone being open source has NOTHING TO DO with your data plan. So get off your high horse for a minute (try not to hurt yourself) and step back into reality. AT&T is your service provider. They dictate how you can use your network, because it's their freaking network, and you pay to use it however the freak they decide you can use it. Am I defending them? Of course not, they're an evil corporate machine trying to glean as much money out of you as possible. But using their service in ways specifically not allowed as specified in the T's and C's IS stealing, and AT&T has every right to tell you to go eff yourself. Sorry dude it's reality.
tpusa

Apr 26, 2011, 11:56 AM
actually i have verizon, and i couldnt find anything about it in my T&C
OrionsVantage

Apr 21, 2011, 11:38 AM
I'm going to join on the pileon here and just say simply, you're an idiot.

devices do not equal service. service does not equal devices. It would do you well to remember this.
lovo

Apr 26, 2011, 4:57 PM
i agree with @tpusa its a feature that was built into the operating system not one that was set up by the carriers in fact they themselves impossed regulations and @desireusser442 nope they wont do that theyll just kindly inform you that there gonna start charging you for it thats what at&t is doing i find this whole are as grey see by law we are allowed to root our device and or alter them in any manner we wish to its official hotspot was built into android 2.2 it was meant to be free the carriers stepped in and enforced data plugs and plans etc so were "stealin" data... but at the same time if were allowed to root our phones and if rooting gives us that ability and were paying for unlimited data is it really stealing???
tpusa

May 4, 2011, 3:28 PM
ive been tethering my droid for the past 6 months and had months of 20-30gb's of usage and still havent been capped or hit with overages btw. but i agree, they will eventually catch on.
amfs941

Apr 17, 2011, 11:40 AM
palm pixi for verizon has a free 5GB/month on it...i have it for my dealer line and use it for a hotspot instead of a mifi mobile broadband card

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.