Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 23 replies

WIFI PHONE OR AT&T DATA PLAN ??????????????????

lahmacun

Oct 5, 2008, 10:08 PM
hey I will renew my contract with ATT. I want a pda/smartphone but I dont wanna pay for the dat plan $30/month.

I have internet at home, at work and it would be nice to have on my cell too but that will cost me $30x24months=$720 in addition to my phone plan.

I wanna get a good phone that has WIFI/WLAN (i think its the same) so that I can use internet when I find hotspots for free !!!

Do you think what I think is smart ?

I like Nokia's. Which phone should I get ? N96,N95, N810, N81 or whatever.... which one should I get ? 🙄
andy2373

Oct 6, 2008, 1:52 AM
To tell you the truth I have ATT and started with a Moto Q9h (WM Smartphone). So obviously I had the $30/month data plane. Got a regular phone off E-bay and called ATT and said I wanted to downgrade my data plan to the $15/month Media Net Max. Great, no problem. Then I put my SIM back in the Moto Q9h and was still able to surf the net like before when I had the higher priced data plan.
Although I don't use the phone for Internet that much anymore. Internet + ATT + a phone has been somewhat of a let down. The only good and really fast Internet experience I've had on a phone was with a Blackberry on either Verizon or Sprint.
Maybe when the Bold comes out it'll help.
lahmacun

Oct 6, 2008, 5:32 AM
if I get a WIFI phone I dont even need to get Media Net Max ($15). it will be free.
and the good think with nokias... it asks you before switching from WiFi to regular ATT internet which you could be charged for every kb.
if I set and keep my settings just for WiFi I ll be using the internet for free.

Bold sounds nice but it will be expensive. if I get it from ATT comes with the data if I get it online somewhere I am sure it will be $600+ which I can get a very good Nokia for around $400.
attverizonslave

Nov 14, 2008, 10:48 PM
are you sure about that? att doesnt charge for the internet service they charge for the amount of data so you may not need the data plan but if your transferring data you will be charged at pay per use rate
tkboxer

Oct 6, 2008, 7:59 AM
lahmacun said:
hey I will renew my contract with ATT. I want a pda/smartphone but I dont wanna pay for the dat plan $30/month.

I have internet at home, at work and it would be nice to have on my cell too but that will cost me $30x24months=$720 in addition to my phone plan.

I wanna get a good phone that has WIFI/WLAN (i think its the same) so that I can use internet when I find hotspots for free !!!

Do you think what I think is smart ?

I like Nokia's. Which phone should I get ? N96,N95, N810, N81 or whatever.... which one should I get ? 🙄

Depends on your budget and form factor you like. I would recommend the N95, N82, E71 or E51. Prices range from $450 to $260 off the net.
I have a Noki...
(continues)
Jayshmay

Oct 7, 2008, 4:03 AM
I have had the N95-3 since December last year, awesome phone! It has wifi, but I almost never use it.

I only pay ATT $15/mo for internet, MediaNet.
lahmacun

Oct 7, 2008, 3:05 PM
but isnt that phone little bulky ???
well.. if its functional and user friendly I might skip the bulk part and start searching for a deal thn.
Jayshmay

Oct 8, 2008, 3:31 PM
It's a tad thick. But it is easy to hold. It has lots of +'s, headphone jack, 8GB microsd cards DO work in it.

I don't know how much internet surfing you intend to do on your N95, but be sure to download Opera Mini 4.1

You should be able to get it brand new on ebay for around $400. If you get it make sure to get the one that has -3 in the model, N95-3, that one has the 850/1900mhz bands so you can get 3G on AT&T's network.

I've owned the N95-3 since December 2007, if you have any ?'s feel free to ask.
MildManneredClarkGrunion

Oct 20, 2008, 11:03 AM
Go wifi.
lahmacun

Oct 23, 2008, 3:05 PM
check this out... 😲 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It em=N82E16875205089&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction

N95 with 4GB internal. cheaper thn 8GB one and the rest is the same. it has WiFi too.
Esomarri

Oct 25, 2008, 10:21 PM
YOU CAN USE THE N96!!!IS THE THE BEST
lahmacun

Oct 27, 2008, 12:08 AM
yeah I would love to but its all about the money. would you get me one for xmas ;) ?
Esomarri

Oct 27, 2008, 7:03 PM
JAJJJJAJAA!!!I CAN SEND TWO OF THEM IF YOU WANT!!!JAJAJAJA
Maarek

Oct 28, 2008, 6:29 AM
I inquired many AT&T techs about this even other carriers.

Here's the scoop:

If you get a smart/PDA phone, you NEED a data plan. Once you use the web program and just TRY to use a wifi signal, you might switch over to a tower without noticing and start being charged. One tech mentioned that someone did this and had high bills due to the phone using the towers.

Try and signup for the Net Media for $15 and use your smartphone, they won't know the difference other than additional web browsing and NEVER use the phone as a modem, they keep track of how much data passes between your phone and will make you pay an overage charge.

I plan on the same thing, get a smartphone with a Net media plan, but I haven't found a phone I liked.
ElTriste

Oct 28, 2008, 6:28 PM
maybe its just rs, but our pos wont allow a basic media net on a pda. You'd probably have to change the imei on the acct. to a non smart phone then just swap the sim...imo
Maarek

Oct 29, 2008, 7:55 AM
Correct. 😁 (This is something only franchise stores will do)

But, you cannot take insurance out on the phone, because the IMEI given is for some regular phone.
ElTriste

Oct 30, 2008, 8:26 PM
exactly
lahmacun

Nov 8, 2008, 3:06 AM
some phones i.e Nokia's have a setting for this... you can just turn it off and avoid switching to regular internet other thn the WiFi !!!

I have internet at homeI have internet at work. I dont really need iinternet on my phone while its always nice to have it but I dont wanna pay for it.

I would get iphone but only the data plan is $720+tax in 2years... + the phone + the plan => WOooowww lot of money
lahmacun

Nov 8, 2008, 3:08 AM
whts media net whts data plan btw. I know one is cheaper but...?
Maarek

Nov 10, 2008, 11:03 AM
I agree, the G1 has the option to turn off WiFi also. If you want a WiFi PDA, just get the iTouch which is the iPhone without the phone. 🙄
lahmacun

Nov 17, 2008, 12:01 AM
woooww its been 6 weeks since I first posted here. I wanted to get N95 because of rings and bells but didt because of its bricky size and coulndy or didnt want to because of its high price.

I liked N96 but expensive too.

I went down to N85, N81. While searching and thinking I found E51 for little more then $200 🙂
and its a WiFi phone too. plus light and not bulky...

I ll receive it tomorrow. I already put my future ex-phone on ebay and expecting to get $150. For $50 I ll renew my phone 🙂
attverizonslave

Nov 17, 2008, 7:25 PM
so why would you want a pda if your not gonna have a pda plan??kinda defeats the purpose of having a pda phone if you dont use it for the internet
lahmacun

Nov 18, 2008, 3:55 AM
it would be nice to have a pda but all pdas come with the data plan. and again it would be nice to have internet but I dont want to pay $30 every month. I have internet at home and work which I use all day and night.

finally I searched for WiFi phones and especially nokias. I just love them. again price was an issue. I ended up getting E51. I have been playing with it for about 3-4hrs and looks like I made a good decission. this will satisfy my needs till I find a good deal for upper model nokia phones.
ajlineman

Nov 18, 2008, 10:19 PM
Man I must be behind in the times... I still view Nokia's as the alternative to a real phone... I still see the lame two tone plastic bricks in my mind... what does a "High end nokia phone" encourperate these days? Anything near the competetors?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.