Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 33 replies

The Ones We Hate

SammyJankis

Aug 23, 2004, 10:42 PM
Wireless Call Center Employees Unite!!!

this is about the calls you hate, i know there is one or two or more types of calls that you absolutely can't stand. you know the ones where when they tell you their issue you bang your fist on the desk or throw your arms in the air. when you type their mobile number in the system you punch down on the keys hard with your fingers like a punch. let's vent...

i just got one a minute ago. lady calls in saying that she just checked her minutes of usage and it tells her that she's gone over (or the bill is "wrong" or "unusually high" and its due to overage) and she proceeds to tell me how she NEVER goes over her minutes and she hardly ever picks up her phone during the daytime hours and if i go back o...
(continues)
BowWowWow

Aug 24, 2004, 10:08 AM
I love the parents who insist that their son/daughter/whatever NEVER goes over, and they can't IMAGINE who their good little ego machine would be calling, and it turns out to be chat lines or a banned significant other. I had one lady go batshit on her son IN THE STORE over calling a betting-tips line. ALmost had to call the cops, she was slapping him in front of a store full of witnesses.
Mobile-El

Aug 24, 2004, 5:45 PM
MY favorites are the ones who come into my store with the suitcases. I means tons of baggage. The story starts before we even great them. Some nonsense about how the phone got shut off "by mistake". Must be the same ghosts who make all the peak calls.

My favorite line is when they say " I got f'ed by (insert random Carrier here). Actually Carrier got f--d because you didn't pay. Ever notice that the clean cut, nice people never get f'ed. They must pay their bills in a timely manner or something wierd like that. I didn't even know we had coverage in trailer parks.

I had someone come in this afternoon with a diplay handset (non working unit) that they wanted to coonect. I suggested they seek a refund from where ever they bough...
(continues)
CrazyKaks

Aug 25, 2004, 8:58 AM
yeah thats a good one... but my favorites are when the customers come in the door after you have just watched them sitting in their vehicle talking on their cell for 10-15 mins. And as soon as they step in the door "My phone don't work", "never worked said i got it". Sometimes i just wanna smack the b*$%^ right across the face and be like i just saw you talking on it in your car before you came in here.

Or it's even better yet when the customer does give you that "It's never worked since i bought it", So of you course you ask the customer when they got the phone. Usually without any hesitation they will give you 6 months or 8 months and even sometimes they'll tell ya over a year ago. If i didn't have to make sure i wasnt rude to the custo...
(continues)
Mobile-El

Aug 25, 2004, 10:33 AM
I think it comes down to communication skills and the fear of a confrontation. People dont always know how to get a point acroos, being humble and asking for help is a foreign skill to many. I think people often expect a hard time. How many of us like going back to a store to handle an exchange or return. You neverknow how the person on the other side of the counter will react.
After years in this business, I have become a better consumer when i am on the otehr side of the counter.
SammyJankis

Aug 25, 2004, 6:21 PM
i'm a little bit more sympathetic when calling customer service reps when they apologize for taking so long for doing this and that to my account. i tell them i know how it is. but when i get a rep from a wireless company who i know for sure is giving me wrong info or just being a a*s because they either don't want or claim they can't do anything, i call them out on it. i remember one time i wanted to change my number and i had already found the number i wanted in the system, but i couldn't do it on my own account per the rules. so i wrote the number down and call customer care (this was back when i was in sales) i got a girl and i told her the number and at first she acted like she couldn't change it that they don't do number changes out of...
(continues)
adlman

Aug 25, 2004, 6:39 PM
I got my number changed and the carrier I work for still charged me the $25 "VANITY NUMBER FEE". Good thing for expense reports!!!!
cellphone gurl

Aug 25, 2004, 8:24 PM
AT&T will waive the 25.00 charge for harrassing calls as a one time courtesy.
Myth

Aug 27, 2004, 9:52 AM
cellphone gurl said:
AT&T will waive the 25.00 charge for harrassing calls as a one time courtesy.

Cingular will also waive their fee ($36) if you are being harrassed.
Acedith

Oct 21, 2004, 11:01 AM
not anymore they don't.

i was charged when i had to have mine changed.
cellphone gurl

Aug 25, 2004, 8:23 PM
I make sure I go over everything I can think of with the customer exspecially when I change there plan. I write notes with everything I told them to. a lot of the time a note is what stops us from having to give credit later. I would say MAYBE 1% of the time dealers write notes. If you add something to the customers account no matter what it is please write a note saying the customer accepted whatever feature or whatever it was they did. and if you work for AT&T and tell the customer about the processing fee please make sure you write that in the notes. we have so many customers calling saying "I didn't add this or I wasn't told about this." sometimes I believe they did but I have nothing to go by so I end up having to credit them. with a si...
(continues)
SammyJankis

Aug 26, 2004, 9:50 AM
so so true... please note all accounts no matter what was discussed. if you had to pull up the account to talk to the customer or answer the question please note it because they will probably call back about it and claim that so and so didn't say tell me anything about that and this and i want a credit for it now!
SammyJankis

Aug 25, 2004, 4:26 PM
i've heard more lies told working in customer service for 3 weeks than i've heard in my entire 26 years.
cellphone gurl

Aug 25, 2004, 5:16 PM
and why do they all have the same stories??????
Lord_Gawkerbane

Aug 25, 2004, 5:27 PM
Really reminds me of my PC tech support call center days. Internal for an HMO and everyone lied. "Did you reboot?" "Yes." "Well try it again one more time while you're on the phone with me." "It worked this time!" *mute* "That's because you lied and didn't reboot before you called."

It was insane. People would wait in the call queue for longer than it would take to reboot in order to try and keep from having to do it.

That mute button almost got me in trouble one time though. Someone was being really stupid so I put her on mute and said "You are an idiot!" Problem was, I unmuted a split second too soon and she heard the "idiot" part. Funny how she stopped being a belligerent idiot after that and got really cooperative.

I f...
(continues)
adlman

Aug 25, 2004, 11:45 AM
Most over-used comments by irrate cellular customers:

1) Over my minutes... I hardly even used the phone.

2) My cellular number? I never call myself.

3) I lost a $10 million deal because my phone didn't receive an important phone call.

4) The battery doesn't hold a charge (and they use 10,000 min's a month)

5) YOU SHUT OFF MY PHONE LAST NIGHT!!!!

6) A security deposit? But I just bought a couch from RENT-A-CENTER!!!

7) Water damage? I never got the phone went (and the condensation is dripping from inside of the display)
Vongmi

Aug 25, 2004, 11:53 AM
Yeah ... I think one of my favorites is :" I dropped my phone in the toilet bowl and I don't understand why it's not working anymore... Same thing happened to my friend and she let it dry and now it's working, how come mine doesn't work???? ... I often say to those customers : " M'me ( I don't know why those are always womams...) If you throw your laptop in the bathub full of water and dry it out is it still gonna work ? " They are all like ... hmmmmm no, but it's not the same thing... You know what... Just don't talk on the phone when you puting make up on.... I would say it's the same law as driving when your talking on you cell phone... Make up and Cell phone don't go together especially when there's a toilet bowl..
adlman

Aug 25, 2004, 11:59 AM
Or the one who think the handset warranty should cover them dropping their phone onto the cement and cracking the display. LETS SEE... does your car warranty cover smashing into a brick wall????
tequilasundae

Aug 25, 2004, 12:53 PM
i said that to a guy once,,,he kept asking why i was making "stupid jokes"...the cops had to take him away
Vongmi

Aug 25, 2004, 1:00 PM
I think it should... Nah for real... Thanks for the example man... I'm going to use it here... I love giving dummy proof examples to clients to insult them a bit without them knowing... hahahaha... I can't wait for the day when we'll be able to talk to the client freely depending on their IQ... Being able to tell off client like they are telling us off....
phonepimp3376

Aug 25, 2004, 1:06 PM
Reminds me of a close I used to use when I was in Business Sales for a major manufacturer:

"Mr. Jones, usually by this point people see the value. The ones that don't usually have one of two issues, they are concerned about the cash outlay, or they don't see the benefits. Which is it in your case?"

Which translated, means:

The only reason I'm not out of here with a fat commission is that you're either too broke or too stupid. Which is it?
Mobile-El

Aug 25, 2004, 2:24 PM
Phonepimp-That sounds like close right out of a Sandler text book, good line.
phonepimp3376

Aug 25, 2004, 2:34 PM
ty, ty :bows:
tequilasundae

Aug 25, 2004, 1:08 PM
just had one just now when i clocked in...girl said she left her phone on teh dash w her windows down, and some mist got on it,,,its under warranty can i get a new phone..she tried to tell me customer service told her she could get a new one..MUAHAHAHA 😳
Lord_Gawkerbane

Aug 25, 2004, 1:28 PM
I had a fun one the other week where the customer didn't send in her rebate form and it was past the postmark by date. She wanted me to give her a new form first, and I told her that wouldn't work since the date on the receipt wouldn't match up with the period on the new rebate form. Then she wanted me to return the phone and sell her a new one outside the 30 DOA period so she could get it. I told her that I couldn't do that, and I could get fired for doing so. She was complaining that she wanted to make sure she wanted the phone before cutting the label off the box, which I suggested to her, but told her that she only had 15 days. She was all pissy that I didn't tell her she had to send it in by a certain date and said she was thinking...
(continues)
Vongmi

Aug 25, 2004, 1:50 PM
Mail in rebates complaint are the worst... I was Processing some for my company to help that department... Forms I saw : No ESN, No activation date and no acount/cell phone number, just the client's name... Do you know how much John Smith we have ? Or the ones that find one form and try to get the money even if they didn't bought a new phone... Yeah sure good try... and then they call Client Care and ask why they didn't get their money hahahaha... LoSeRs....
cellphone gurl

Aug 25, 2004, 5:06 PM
My friend dropped here motorola 120 in a lake and dryed it out. all she had to do was get a new battery and it works fine
Lord_Gawkerbane

Aug 25, 2004, 5:21 PM
I had a couple of customers with phones that went in the lake. One of them was irretrievable. It went overboard and he didn't have insurance so it was full price for him, then decided insurance wouldn't be a bad deal. Of course a month or so later he showed up on my chargeback list, cancel non-pay.

The other one was a prepaid customer and the phone wouldn't work after its immersion. I really am surprised that nobody's come out with a waterproof floating phone for the boating crowd. With GSM, you could use the bulkier one on the water just by popping in your SIM and switch back to your land lubber phone in a flash when you're ashore.
2Rails

Aug 24, 2004, 12:23 PM
i'm having a blast with people trying to port numbers from other carriers after their phones get zapped for non-payment, because "(insert carrier here) f**ked me, said i went over my minutes, so i refused to pay them". yeah guy, way to show that carrier. bet they're rethinking their billing policies now that they don't have your $200. this job would be just plain awesome if it weren't for the customers...
BowWowWow

Aug 24, 2004, 12:58 PM
Oh yes, that's lots of fun. "Here, I'll give you a temporary number, come back when you've taken care of the bill with XXX carrier."

Hey, buddy, it's YOUR credit rating, not mine. Do what you want.
SammyJankis

Aug 24, 2004, 2:56 PM
i feel you on that one. and i caught the reference to 'kids' great movie and a classic line.
Vongmi

Aug 24, 2004, 5:39 PM
Yup, That is bad. One of the saddest thing I find is the client who plays with their phone... I work in Data and Network Assitance for TELUS which has PCS and IDEN sites in Canada... You know when you have and IDEN phone why would you go play in the call filters/NAM settings if you don't know what the hell you are doing....

Another one that ticks me off... Is when I was at client care... and the client is arguing that he is a good client for many years ( months ) and that he is spending a lot of money ( 37.98$ ) per month this is why I should give him a new phone... yeah sure...

Billing... what is worse than billing ? Why should I credit you if you didn't have coverage in that area ? ... hmmm or worse... we give a free voice mail w...
(continues)
SammyJankis

Aug 25, 2004, 2:29 PM
ha... at least you're not bitter
cellphone gurl

Aug 24, 2004, 7:32 PM
I hear yah.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.