Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 7 replies

VZW data transfer services -your opinion?

sammy2

Jul 26, 2004, 1:02 PM
For years now I have been using the VZW service at some of their stores to transfer my phone book to a new phone. At times it was frustrating because only some stores had the equipment but in general I reeeeally appreciated the service!

I understand it takes time for a sales person to do the work but it was a great service and would save me loads of time.

Last time I went into the store I noticed a sign stating that VZW was going to start charging for the service. This business decision seems short sighted.

If the person is a VZW customer they are coming in to transfer data to a new phone either because they upgraded or replaced a broken phone. The service maintains a happy customer and provides convenience to them at low cost. ...
(continues)
Insomniac

Jul 26, 2004, 1:15 PM
now i could be wrong (because im fairly new to verizon) however ive had a few people come in and ask the same thing in our store. is there an easy simple way to transfer phone books from phone to phone. Well from what ive been told from my boss (not sure if its true) but at the verizon direct dealers theres a lil box you can buy and it plugs to your old phone and grabs all your phone book entries then you disconnect and connect it to your new phone. Then upload the info from the box to your new phone and presto all done. Ive been told they sell for like 25 bucks but its a one time purchase for all future phones. Again not sure if theres something like this out there its just what ive been told.....if anyone cofirm this that would be awesome!...
(continues)
sammy2

Jul 26, 2004, 1:29 PM
I beleive this device exists but I wonder about the compatibility of the jacks. Early on I was told the VZW store could only do it between MOTO phones. I would hope that the device would include a variety of jacks to plug into any type of phone.
mobile_guru

Jul 26, 2004, 2:50 PM
I have one and it is made by CelleBrite.
It transfers phone book memory from any phone to any other phone that was manufactured up until now.

When there is a new phone, you could just order the cable for it and get your unit updated.

Works like a charm.

Never heard of in store small boxes for $25.

http://www.cellebrite.com/ »
sammy2

Jul 26, 2004, 3:02 PM
Thanks for the link.

It would wonderful if you could transfer data from your Outlook contact list.

How much did it set you back?
towermonkey

Jul 26, 2004, 3:24 PM
Those Cellebrites aren't cheap, I think on the order of $1500 or so, but they work like a mofo, and if you're an indirect, co-op will pay for one. The thing is, the device itself has a limited number of uses, and the dealer has to pay to get it reset every so often. I did an informal poll of dealers in my area, and they do it free if you buy a new phone from them, but charge $5-10 if you're doing it just off the street in order to cover the cost for the licensing.

They DO work, however, and I could be way off on the initial cost. I got it from a dealer who wasn't too sure himself, sounded like.
mobile_guru

Jul 26, 2004, 3:48 PM
somewhere around $900
2Rails

Jul 26, 2004, 6:28 PM
if you're just looking for one for personal use (although they sell the corporate kits too), check out www.datapilot.com they sell a universal kit (2 USB cables with interchangable phone attachments). don't quote me on this, but i think they're like $80 or so -- again, "just" for personal use

http://www.datapilot.com »

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.