Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 15 replies

Porting problems!

DDA

May 29, 2004, 9:25 AM
I have had 5 fallouts so far with 8 attempts. They all got fixed and went through, but it was still kind of a pain. Verizon is the one carrier that I have had 4 of them fallout from, but it was the customers fault for not keeping accurate records. I Wireless (local T-Mobile) was the other one and that was my fault. 🤭

Anyone else having difficulty, and if so which carrier(s).
Starr06

May 29, 2004, 9:39 AM
Just make sure they have a copy of a recent bill from their old carrier. Or if they registered online with their old carrier to view bills and account info, we just let them log on from our computers and get the info that way.

You gotta be careful with ports, if the information isn't right... it can be a real headache.
thatguy_overthere

Jun 9, 2004, 9:28 PM
The only problems with ports that I have had has been porting from Cricket. The other companies have been going through in a matter of hours (one AT&T to Verizon port happened in 10 minutes, no joke). I double check their info, and the customers are bringing me their bills, but they still have trouble porting from Cricket. It has taken a couple of days. Not good when you compare to the other companies.
towermonkey

Jun 10, 2004, 10:51 AM
thatguy_overthere said:
The only problems with ports that I have had has been porting from Cricket. The other companies have been going through in a matter of hours (one AT&T to Verizon port happened in 10 minutes, no joke). I double check their info, and the customers are bringing me their bills, but they still have trouble porting from Cricket. It has taken a couple of days. Not good when you compare to the other companies.

AT&T? Zowie... I guess they fixed all their problems with Siebel7.

I've done quite a few Centennial-to-VZW ports that have gone through in 3 or 4 hours, and 2 Cingular ports yesterday that took 90 minutes.
dsmith5237

Jun 10, 2004, 10:17 PM
I haven't had any customers call me to complain so I guess they all went through okay. I've done about a dozen since they started in our area two & a half weeks ago. The customers here know it's a new thing so they don't have unrealistic expectations. The important thing is to make sure the SS# is correct in the porting sequence, at least for our system(SprintPCS). If the customer gets their SS# wrong they probably don't need a mobile phone anyway...
DDA

Jun 18, 2004, 3:26 PM
SS# and the OSP's BAN. Those are two things that need to be correct for a port to go through!
MISSA

Jun 20, 2004, 11:15 AM
Watch out when you try to port in a Nextel #. Most customers have no idea that they even HAVE a password on their Nextel account, but if you submit a port request without the password, it falls out EVERY TIME (they say "resolution required-account info does not match")

Haven't had any problems with port ins from AT&T, Cingular or Sprint 🙂
verizonguyinohio

Jun 22, 2004, 5:10 PM
I have had no problems at all porting from Alltel to Verizon.
megs72979

Jun 27, 2004, 4:35 PM
NEXTEL!!!!
the only porting issue i've had, they are horrible.
dsmith5237

Jul 25, 2004, 1:28 AM
Still no problems that customers have brought to my attention. Almost all of them are going through in a matter of hours. I've got one tomorrow for a post dated activation that I have to set up to coincide with the birthday of a customer's wife, it's gotten that reliable. The only one's I've done are Cingular and Verizon though. The other carriers, besides my own(Sprint) aren't big at all in my area.

Despite being able to keep their number, only about half of my customers coming from other carriers even want to keep the old number. Anyone else experience that?
towermonkey

Jul 26, 2004, 11:38 AM
dsmith5237 said:
Despite being able to keep their number, only about half of my customers coming from other carriers even want to keep the old number. Anyone else experience that?

Yeah, and it's more business customers than the other. I'm not really sure why that is. The business people I can understand, that way you don't have to contact all your old customers, get new business cards, etc. One person told me he wanted to change his number because he was getting married & he didn't want his old girlfriends calling his cell & getting him in trouble.
abbazabba

Jul 25, 2004, 3:22 AM
From the back end, without fail, Sprint causes the most problems. makes sense, their SPID is 6664. such is the mark of the beast
Iselltheshitoutofphones

Jul 25, 2004, 10:58 AM
The only problems I have had are type One ports. Sprint does the local landline service in my area. 3 years ago, Sprint sold 2000 of these numbers to AT&T wireless. When I port these new AT&T numbers it takes about two weeks. I did find a woman in Cingular's PAC that has been able to push these through in about a week. It's weird, it's like a landline port but it isn't.

Regular Sprint ports go through in about an hour. T-mobile, and Verizon haven't been a problem. I haven't had a Nextel or Alltel port, yet. I hear Nextel is a bitch. I also have to deal with Hawk electronic's and Progressive concepts customers. These are Cingular numbers that these companies buy from Cingular. Needless to say, these ports are no problem. I think that they ...
(continues)
GWFOX

Jul 25, 2004, 11:05 AM
Oh I got a good one for you Will. Check this out.

I just was doing a port from a landline company, X-O communications. The customer was closing down the office building yet wanted to maintain the # for his business under a wireless phone.

I completed the port-in and came up that resolution was needed. After 45 minutes of talking with VZW port center and X-O communications.... I found out what happened. X-O lost.. Yes.. LOST the phone number in the port. It VANISHED from their system. I had to contact network repair on both sides and I couldnt' do that cause X-O tech support side is closed on sundays. wonderful huh? So the customer lost his phone number. 🤣
towermonkey

Jul 26, 2004, 11:44 AM
The only problem I've had is with Nextel ports. Every one I've done (about 10) has fallen out. The first few were my fault, because I wasn't clear on exactly what VZW needed from the Nextel customers, but then it seemed like they were all going to crap. I had one lady who it took almost 4 days for the port to finalize. At least she was cool about it. Cingular, AT&T & T-Mobile have been no problem. Centennial (a regional) had an issue with the way their account numbers were structured, but that's since been resolved.

Landline ports are another matter. I've only done two, but they have both been total nightmares. Both took over a week, and both took multiple phone calls both to the customer & to the VZW PAC. One was a Bellsouth port and the...
(continues)
abbazabba

Jul 27, 2004, 2:43 AM
I remember the Verizon port I got involved in. it was a port from us to them. Verizon had messed it up in NPAC, and all they had to do is release it and we'd send it back to them. The rep who was calling in had already spoken to our porting department, and refused to do what we had asked, and hung up. I got the call from out care group, and told the girl the same thing the LNP people had said. Finally I asked her if she had access to NPAC, and she wouldn't answer. I had to get a supervisor, and made sure to tell him if she had escalated it when she was speaking to LNP like she was asked to, she would have saved A LOT of time.

Porting is a quagmire of stupidity on behalf of all parties involved. It's amazing how screwed up things ge...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.