Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 50 replies

Kinda Makes Me Sad

Nikoletta

Apr 14, 2006, 12:57 PM
I was driving intou our call center parking lot and I saw something that made me a little sad.

I had a friend in High School who was a little odd, smart enough, came from a good family (not that it matters so much but I have to wonder what his family would think of what he's done with his life) just a little quirky. I always expected he would slog his way through college and get an office job as the slightly off secretary or something.

He started working here a couple of months ago. He's gained a lot of weight, like doubled his body mass since High School... He's started dressing really badly, like ripped jeans, dirty oversized shirts sometimes with holes in them, and sleeveless flannel shirt over, or sometimes a ratty flannel shirt ...
(continues)
craptacularwireless

Apr 14, 2006, 1:25 PM
That is quite sad. I've run into former classmates who fit similar descriptions. Thankfully most of the ones I've run into are successful.
vmc5555

Apr 14, 2006, 1:44 PM
I try to not think of the people that I knew in highschool because the majority of them were snobs. Of course now whenever I happen to run into them and they look like your friend there, have 3 kids at 21, aren't married, still work at their highschool job, and STILL try to look down at you, it always makes me a little sad. 🙄
kmcfarlin

Apr 18, 2006, 12:40 PM
Wow, At least they have loyalty to their job...
djdelay

Apr 14, 2006, 1:57 PM
Niki....I do have to ask.....Why do you associate smoking with a decline in someone's life? Perhaps they just picked up a habit. Or perhaps, like me, they actually enjoy smoking. They could be that 1 in 5 that doesn't wish to quit. I'm just wondering if maybe you've had a bad experience or something, because every time you mention smoking, it's with disdain.
Nikoletta

Apr 14, 2006, 2:58 PM
I do look at it with a touch of disdain because as a rule the people who have the most disgusting habits around here are smokers. Smoking is a self-destructive habit, there's absolutely no question that it's bad for you, causes lung cancer, emphysema, and other breathing problems.

I am utterly disgusted by people who smoke around their children, as the mother my my ex-husband's children did, her oldest already had a hack from it at 13. I see smoking as having no respect for yourself, or being undereducated on what it actually DOES to your body. I know plenty of people who I respect but for whom my respect has been marred by the fact that they smoke.

Smoking is your choice but I despise people who force their destructive choice o...
(continues)
Insert Witty Name Here

Apr 14, 2006, 3:13 PM
Wow. I like how you're brutally honest and didn't sugarcoat a damn thing.

When I was waitressing before, it seemed the smokers were taking breaks constantly, asking the non-smokers to cover their tables for a "sec." If you compare an 8 hour day to myself and a smoker, and we say they take a 5 minute break every 30 minutes, that's roughly an extra 65 minutes of break time that they're getting over me.
Nikoletta

Apr 14, 2006, 3:49 PM
That sort of does also play into why the habit itself just disgusts me.

In training here, I was one of about half the training class who didn't smoke, the trainer did. It was a late night class, 3pm - midnight, and I had school and two other jobs going in the mornings so if I got off at Midnight I went home, an hour drive, slept three hours, and got up to stumble through advanced chemistry classes, math lessons (as a tutor) and then try to drive back to work to attend another night of training. We took smoke breaks, fifteen minutes a pop, eight (8!) of them a night, for a total of 2 hours, one quarter of our time, spent on smoke breaks. If we had the time available for TWO HOURS of smoking breaks why could we not have just finished ear...
(continues)
uscingulair

Apr 17, 2006, 2:54 PM
insert tiny violin here
Vox Dei

Apr 18, 2006, 1:28 PM
Wow. we had 2 15 min brakes and a 30min lunch during training. If you can't make it through that then you better find another job because that's all you'll get on the floor. No extra smoke breaks.
Nikoletta

Apr 18, 2006, 2:40 PM
And that's what you get on the floor here too, though they let you break the time up into multiple five minute blocks if you want to step out and smoke quickly, but the stuff during training was simply ridiculous.
securitybreach

Apr 18, 2006, 2:43 PM
Is there anything you don't cry about????? 😢 😢 😢 😢
Vox Dei

Apr 18, 2006, 3:17 PM
Well she cry's about my handcuffs...but thats quite a bit different cry than what your talking about ;)
Himself

Apr 14, 2006, 2:09 PM
Could it be because he is a loser?

Some can't be helped.
Nikoletta

Apr 14, 2006, 3:16 PM
That's what makes me sad.
captainplooky

Apr 14, 2006, 3:21 PM
I'm sure some look at you, perhaps the man you speak of as well, with much of the same feelings considering some of the choices you have made and chosen to submit here.
securitybreach

Apr 14, 2006, 5:19 PM
very well put plooky!
Whitehorse

Apr 20, 2006, 4:53 AM
Cheap shot, crass, & classless post. 👿 Sour grapes?
sacdude

Apr 20, 2006, 9:13 AM
leave securitybreach alone, she does have a valid point on her posts
securitybreach

Apr 20, 2006, 9:26 AM
Thanks Sac! However, I am a male! 🤣
Whitehorse

Apr 20, 2006, 4:52 AM
Cheap shot, crass, & classless post. 👿
captainplooky

Apr 20, 2006, 12:52 PM
Please explain how you came to such a conclusion considering the very reasons for the origin of this post.

I believe unlike the original post, my comments can actually be responded to by the very person my comments address.
Whitehorse

Apr 20, 2006, 5:26 PM
You just pi$$ed me off - I was tired, still feeling a bit crappy, & I wasn't getting much enjoyment from throwing stuff @ my son... 🙂

Actually, I know a few folks like this, both male & female. Adulthood hits & they go into a depressed funk. It is sad.

Just because someone may have made mistakes does not mean that they cannot recognize problems with other people. In my early 20s some decisions I made were definite mistakes, bad mistakes that set my financial & professional progress back. In spite of these personal mistakes, I can sometimes see when others are making or in jeopardy of making a mistake. I don't see anything wrong in Niki's post or how she is responding regarding this person.
captainplooky

Apr 20, 2006, 5:42 PM
Yeah, that makes sense.

I just presented another side, that chances are someone you know looks at you and thinks the same thing. (me too probably 😁)

As for 'mistakes', I feel hesitant to reflect on all mistakes negatively. Many of the mistakes are the products of choices that makes who and what we are.

While the path and destination may not always be the same, the travelers on the road are what make the journey interesting.

Though, I do not like seeing people suffer even if by their own choices.
Whitehorse

Apr 20, 2006, 6:20 PM
Like I said, it's hard to stay mad at you... Very sage reply. I've come to realize that As for 'mistakes', I feel hesitant to reflect on all mistakes negatively. Many of the mistakes are the products of choices that makes who and what we are. is so true, for better or worse. I've thought of many things I could have done differently in my life - some were mistakes, some were just really (seemingly) benign choices - that would have radically changed my life. I would not want to change a thing that would take away my son, just the way he is. Funny, many people might not think before they act, if given the chance.
captainplooky

Apr 20, 2006, 7:35 PM
The only obvious mistake to me is not learning from a mistake 😁 or as Malcom S. Forbes put it "Failure is success if we learn from it".

Also I always believed ever since hearing it that "anything worth doing, is worth doing badly... for a while".

The speaker was noting how as people grow older they become more afraid of making mistakes and how that if a child had the same mentality they would probably have a much harder time to learn to walk and many other things.

Then he pondered how many things that mentality prevents us from doing in the course of our life.

So I try to remember that as I grow older.
Vox Dei

Apr 20, 2006, 2:21 PM
Got her self out of a bad relationship, got herself a job, seems to be doing well for herself and looking at putting her self through school...Ya people are just sad...No wait...How is this sad? I'm confused. Past choices are passed, it's what you do with them that matters.
Nikoletta

Apr 20, 2006, 2:34 PM
He wants me to respond to him, which I'm not going to do, I don't feel like giving him that much recognition. He can post whatever he wants, I've already said that I think he's a nasty little child, he wants attention but giving it to him would be like praising a puppy after it's messed on the rug.
Vox Dei

Apr 20, 2006, 2:39 PM
I know. I feel dirty even responding to him 😕
captainplooky

Apr 20, 2006, 2:39 PM
Your posts regarding me are funny. Not humorous in general, but humorous that you think you actually accomplish anything with them.

I guess by your reasoning since I am so hungry for attention, I should be marrying someone 20 years my senior soon.
alejandro

Apr 20, 2006, 2:48 PM
shuuuuuuuuuuut uuuuuuuuuup
captainplooky

Apr 20, 2006, 2:49 PM
geeeeeet dooooooooown
alejandro

Apr 20, 2006, 2:50 PM
DEEEER DaDaDaDaDa deeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrr
alejandro

Apr 20, 2006, 2:51 PM
lets have a debate for someone of your calibre in the lounge forum, leave these people to complain about customers that they act like too.
captainplooky

Apr 20, 2006, 2:43 PM
Ok Vox, I think you missed the entire point.

You criticize my statement for reasons that can be applied to Niki's as well. My original statement stands:

I'm sure some look at you, perhaps the man you speak of as well, with much of the same feelings considering some of the choices you have made and chosen to submit here.

Get over your PC tendancies and admit to yourself what I have said is true.
alejandro

Apr 20, 2006, 2:47 PM
shut up
captainplooky

Apr 20, 2006, 2:49 PM
!Love me mi amgio por siempre!
Whitehorse

Apr 20, 2006, 5:28 PM
@ you when you make posts like this. Now if securitybreach makes me laugh, all's right with ShopTalk... 😉
alejandro

Apr 20, 2006, 5:43 PM
i would think you would get along with securitybreach better than anyone else.
sacdude

Apr 21, 2006, 1:28 AM
alejandro leave plooky alone, that man is a higly intelligent individual, who know what he is talking about, take yourself back to the lounge, where you belong
alejandro

Apr 21, 2006, 10:00 AM
you belong in the lounge too, the only difference is that you refuse to admit it.
VzwRsR

Apr 22, 2006, 9:02 AM
captainplooky said:

Because naturally a person's merit is based off their demeanor on a cell-phone forum.
Cunning_Linguist

Apr 14, 2006, 4:29 PM
On the opposite side of that coin, I recently ran into a kid in school, that was.. a ding. Just barely a blip on people's radars, I actually have spoken to people about him before that time, about how I felt pity for him.
He wasn't even in a clique of "losers", "stoners", well,... ANY clique.. he just went through every day stoically, not interacting much, or being interacted with.

Anyhow, he was a poor kidm, wore clothes that were like more than ten years out of style.. butterfly collars, bell bottoms, this is before they made a comeback mind you...

I ran into him the other day, he's a rather handsome, successful guy, 2 kids, lovely wife.. it gave me a feel good sensation, which is odd, normally I am just too selfish to care.

Go h...
(continues)
ESmurf

Apr 14, 2006, 4:34 PM
Thats so great for him!! I haven't run into many of the people I went to school with but my one boy that I went to middle school with was an awful person during those 3 years. He was just mean to every body but I fully believe that was because no one liked him.

I haven't seen him (that I know of) but my sister and may of her friends have. The rumor is (since I haven't seen it, it's a rumor to me) that he got breast implants and wears white trash style female clothing (knee high pleather boots, mini skirts, tube tops...) But, apparently since that transformation he's a nicer person.
Cunning_Linguist

Apr 15, 2006, 5:34 PM
Hrm, maybe you have seen it, and just didn't recognise it!
Nikoletta

Apr 14, 2006, 5:15 PM
He doesn't seem happy, he seems miserable, like he's trying really hard to be upbeat but it's just a facade, which I think is the most tragic part, he was so happy and perky and cheerful in High School (almost enough to be annoying) and now seems like he's disappointed in how things have turned out. There's still plenty of time to try and change if he wanted to change but I don't know if he's willing to try. I wouldn't even know how to approach him and tell him what I see or even to advise him, say hey, here are some things you can do, going back to school (I'm registering the 18th) and getting some skills that will let you escape this fester cess-pit we call a job.

Around here, if you're successful you get the heck out, very few people...
(continues)
Cunning_Linguist

Apr 15, 2006, 5:36 PM
Hrm I can feel his pain then.. I went through that, for like 7 years,.. just miserable as could be, like i had ths heavy weight on my chest, and every day was a struggle to just keep the energy to go on living..

THEN I GOT A DIVORCE 😈

Now life is peachy, and wake up almost every day with a smile!
ferrarik1

Apr 18, 2006, 2:43 PM
wow that made me sad, seriously. you should write dramatic novels, or a concept album
sacdude

Apr 19, 2006, 1:41 AM
seriously she should write drama novels,
captainplooky

Apr 20, 2006, 2:44 PM
yes, because the world needs another hack to entertain those unrefined masses who can not assess quality
alejandro

Apr 20, 2006, 2:47 PM
shut up

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.