See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=17&fi=55592

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

Back to message list

Replying to:  low rf area by sammy2   Jun 30, 2004, 6:34 PM

Re: low rf area

by theDMan    Jul 1, 2004, 12:12 AM

That's quite the loaded question. From a CSR position I'd have to say you're being a bit harsh. Because an issue is reported in a system and is available for someone within the company's structure to access, it doesn't necessarily make it a known issue. I'll give an example here from my experience within AT&T. There was an issue with a certain production run on the Nokia 8260 series phones with a shield in the phone that caused the phones not to work in 1900MHz markets. Now this was loaded into our intranet under an issues log for this phone, unfortunately, this intranet has approximately 20000 pages of info at any given time. Since many of the symptoms exhibited by this phone were very similar to a those during network outages many reps would have never thought to look at a posssible phone problem unless they were in the know. The same applies to your situation, although the information on your home being a low RF area may be available to reps, there are many who may not know that it exists or where to find it. Now to expect the store reps to be aware of every patch of poor coverage is a little much IMO. You have to remember that the wireless industry has a high turnaround and many reps are not there for more than a few months. There is enough other knowledge to be focused on that odds are unless they have had personal experience with coverage in an area they would never know of such an issue. Now I dont know about VZW's policies but I do know that AWS tries to avoid catching people with a contract when they have poor service by allowing a 30 day buyers remorse period. Simply put, we give you the phone, you have 30 days to try it in the areas you will be using it, if you dont alert us to a problem in this period then it becomes your problem. The impression I get from your post is that service was an issue from day one in the area. So now we move on to the second part of your post, information on network improvements. For this one you have to put yourself in the carriers shoes. Lets say ABC wireless has a policy of openly disclosing where they plan to make improvements to existing infrastructure. Now lets say that one day a customer calls in and asks about poor coverage in his area and is told that yes in 3 months we will put in a new tower to improve the coverage. Now if this cutomer were to happen to tell his friend who happens to work for or have business interest with ZYX wireless. How hard would it be for ZYX wireless to start a targeted add campaign locally that focuses on these network deficiencies, especially if they have good coverage in said area. It's reasons like these that wireless companies tend to keep proprietary info such as tower placement strictly confidential. This same sort of situation would also apply to issues surrounding releasing public info on poor coverage areas. I hope this helps to answer your questions. As a side note i'm not trying to defend VZW here, I'm just trying to help you see things from the industy's perspective as well as your on here.

Report to moderator

Replies

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.