Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 6 replies

AT&T and auto bill pay question

Haggard

Sep 13, 2012, 9:58 AM
so apparently AT&T has the option of contacting my bank and requesting my new debit card number to update the auto bill pay feature on my account. Have any you AT&T reps heard of this? Most places that I have set up my auto bill pay feature, I have to update it myself, not the company updating it for me.

Just thought it was kind of shady that they can get that information without even asking me, but emailing me what they did and also sending me a text message.
TheDudeAbides

Sep 13, 2012, 4:18 PM
😳
Haggard

Sep 13, 2012, 4:21 PM
Ya it was an eye opener when I saw that in the email. I wonder if it's in the terms and conditions. They said it was because "the card was about to expire", although it was a card that got the info stolen so it was canceled, but the expiration date was not for another 2 years. Kind of want to tell them that it wasn't okay with me.
truthinsuffering

Sep 15, 2012, 1:23 PM
I have never heard of this either. If you have your bank set up to automatically pay AT&T (not through AT&T Autopay, but through your bank as an automatic bank draft) then that information would automatically update, because your bank updates that, I have been in the AT&T customer service biz for 3 years and I have never heard of this. We will however call you or send you a text message if you are on autopay (for wireless) to notify you that there was an issue processing your payment (in the event of stolen card, expired card, etc) so that you can give us your new card information, but from what your describing, I have never heard of.
Haggard

Sep 17, 2012, 8:42 AM
Nah it was a debit card auto pay. They sent me a text message after they changed the card on the auto pay and also sent me an email a few minutes later. I just found it odd they were able to retrieve my new credit card number without even asking me.
I'll post the email when I get a chance.
iljaaf21

Sep 17, 2012, 9:39 AM
I didn't know your bank could give your information to anyone without your consent. Even if it is with a company that you have a relationship (auto pay) with. That just sound way too shady for my liking. 👀
Haggard

Sep 17, 2012, 10:01 AM
New card received!

Dear Haggard

We recently notified you that the card used for automatic payment of your wireless account ending in **** was about to expire. (No it wasn't)

AT&T received an updated card number and expiration date from your credit card company. No further action is required on your behalf.

We encourage you to visit AT&T to view monthly statements and to make changes to your account

blah blah thank you.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.