Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 18 replies

Fraud Call(s)

TheDudeAbides

Jul 4, 2012, 10:13 AM
so a guy who fit the profile of a current fraud ring calls me, verifies the account, is way too familiar with my department's call flow and order of operations, and struck me as fishy. He was able to verify the acct and there were no recent orders or notes or alerts on the account so I proceeded to help him-- until he wanted the phone billed to the account AND the phone sent to a different address-- both of which I can do but ๐Ÿ˜•
I placed him on hold and expressed my concerns to a supv, supv said flat out refuse to send the phone to any address but the billing address. Custy flipped out and was insistant and went back and forth with me for about ten minutes, and I couldn't outright accuse him. I finally said:
"Sir I know you are a valued c...
(continues)
Jellz

Jul 4, 2012, 10:47 AM
๐Ÿคจ
Jellz

Jul 4, 2012, 12:36 PM
Oh by the way, can you contact the real phone number for that account to let them know people are trying to fraudulently access their account, or how's that handled?
TheDudeAbides

Jul 4, 2012, 1:00 PM
idk why it bugs me so much, woulda been a sale for me, and we're a 3rd party that doesn't get payraises at all whereas those working directly for the carrier do, but still.
fleurdemiel

Jul 5, 2012, 10:35 AM
if there is a notation on the customer's credit file for them to be personally contacted every time their credit is run.

I got that feature recently added to my credit file. Relief ๐Ÿ˜ณ
fleurdemiel

Jul 4, 2012, 5:02 PM
Whatevs. My supervisor is laissez faire about these things. We let the custome rknow we can't do it for 'security purposes'. If the customer gets livid and *still* wants it even after I explain reasoning, boom. I deliver, but as you are probably aware, any line being sent to a different address from the billing address will always get cancelled.

Always.

But, it's still a line on his board, and it still counts towards my bonus.

Cust. got what they want, the actual account holder doesn't get effed.
Captain Ahash

Jul 4, 2012, 5:40 PM
into sales fraud?

Capital idea!
beanie baby

Jul 4, 2012, 6:20 PM
Profit!
Captain Ahash

Jul 4, 2012, 6:52 PM
Capital idea.

Puns.
fleurdemiel

Jul 5, 2012, 10:33 AM
not allowed to question the customer's legitimacy, the system does it for us. We also *have* to do what the customer wants (if it's within our capability, ie: switching shipping addresses) if they become irate or if it's about to become a bad customer experience.

What Duder did was spook the customer. I can see that being encouraged in some call centers. At ours, it's verboten.

Just doing what's expected of me. Our sales go through such a vast screening process after an order is placed, that it's actually considered our job to do no more than place information into the system that the customer grants us and assume they are being honest until theres a fraud alert after the credit application.
Captain Ahash

Jul 5, 2012, 2:44 PM
I was just teasing. No harm meant.
fleurdemiel

Jul 11, 2012, 11:58 AM
I don't know what to expect around here anymore โ˜น๏ธ
Fredd

Jul 12, 2012, 12:55 PM
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
fleurdemiel

Jul 12, 2012, 2:44 PM
expects it, indeed.
Fredd

Jul 12, 2012, 4:23 PM
With the Soft Cushions!
truthinsuffering

Jul 5, 2012, 2:47 PM
Our policy on that is if we bill it to the bill then we cannot send it to any other address than the billing address, or the Primary Place of Use address of PPU.

If it is billed via debit/credit then we can send it just about anywhere.

Good call though. Definately sounds like fraud to me.
TheDudeAbides

Jul 5, 2012, 4:36 PM
the second call was fun! I'm psychic! ๐Ÿคฃ
comander60

Jul 12, 2012, 7:20 AM
๐Ÿ˜ so are they paying us the $ fraud gets when we do not porcess a suspect order? I didn't think so. If cust calls, able to validate account, I'll send the phone
truthinsuffering

Jul 12, 2012, 7:44 PM
I don't make commission... So it really doesn't matter to me.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.