Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 15 replies

I can't wait for the day...

Jellz

Nov 8, 2011, 9:46 AM
...when I deal with someone who has 5 lines on a family plan because each times he wants a new phone for himself he just opens a new line and contract to get it at the lower pricing. Like seriously people... why would you sign another contract to pay more a month to get a cheaper phone? May as well pony up the cash for the phone without the contract, jeez...
Jellz

Nov 8, 2011, 9:47 AM
It's a random Tuesday and I've been working since 8 AM like it's noon... where's everyone coming from and why?!
temporary

Nov 8, 2011, 10:21 AM
Not necessarily. If the customer has AT&T or Verizon, the add-a-line costs only $10 per month, or $240 over the length of the contract. If they get an iPhone 4 for $99 with the new line, they save $600 off the unactivated price of the phone. $600-$240=$360 in savings.

Even with Sprint's $20 add-a-line, the total contract cost is $480. If used to get a high end device, the savings are abound. I often recommend getting an extra line for a new phone to my customers, and they often buy. It's no different than leasing.
Jellz

Nov 8, 2011, 10:32 AM
Well, that's if they're already on a family plan. I'm talking just one line, one person adding a second... and a third... etc.

And then if they want to cancel, they have an exorbitant termination fee.

I do end up recommending adding the line to get the phone at commitment pricing sometimes, but I'm annoyed while I do it.
Hombre07

Nov 8, 2011, 1:08 PM
but I get paid more on a $9.99 add a line than an outright purchase.
Jellz

Nov 8, 2011, 1:10 PM
A sale is a sale is a sale. I get the same 'sales credit' from selling a ditsy GoPhone with the simple rate plan as I do for selling a five line family plan with all iPhones and the highest options.
Hombre07

Nov 8, 2011, 1:14 PM
Understandable. We go based on profit.
Jellz

Nov 8, 2011, 1:15 PM
How it works for me is we're expected to hit a certain number of 'orders per hour' and sales incentive is based off that. The higher your sales for a week, the more you make hourly. The only orders that don't count is accessory-only orders.
crybabycry

Nov 8, 2011, 4:04 PM
forgot neccessary data plans, att iphone 4s is $199.99 with a 2 year, $9.99 to add a line per month but you have to have a minimum data plan of $15 for the line reguardless.. so $240 becomes $600..
Hombre07

Nov 9, 2011, 11:48 AM
Swap the IMEI to a dumbphone, no data plan required. It's not like that line will actually have an iPhone on it.
Fredd

Nov 9, 2011, 12:40 PM
good in theory, except that if you have an iPhone and use it with your AT&T SIM card, the system knows what device you have and will automatically add the data plan.

Also, if an iPhone 4 (or 4S), your SIM is not compatible with anything other than an iPhone
temporary

Nov 9, 2011, 1:11 PM
Hombre had it right. Let me paint you a common scenario:

Customer has two lines with AT&T, both iPhones. Neither are eligible to upgrade for a while, yet they want the new iPhone 4S. I add the line to their account and add the data plan to that third line. This brings the price of the third line to either $25 or $35, depending on which data plan you pick, obviously. However, once I am done ringing out the third line, I do an IMEI and SIM swap on the third line to a dumbphone IMEI and a new SIM. I then swap the IMEI and SIM on the line that the customer wishes to use the iPhone on, and viola, they have a new iPhone for only $9.99 per month more.
Hombre07

Nov 11, 2011, 10:28 AM
I did this for 30% of my 4S sales.
temporary

Nov 14, 2011, 8:19 AM
How many 4S's did your store receive in total? Are you indirect?

😡 We received 11.
Hombre07

Nov 14, 2011, 10:19 AM
AT&T Indirect. About 20 4S, 15 more 4.
krickt

Nov 9, 2011, 11:36 AM
I have several custies who do this. They get a new phone every 6 or so months, using 4 or 5 lines to get the newest coolest or to replace a phone that has been smashed or something. One of those customers has a $250 a month bill, I don't get it, an $80 plan would take care of him, and he could just buy the phones outright and save money over the long term. No matter how many times we show them the math, they just think this is cheaper.

Stupidity costs! Big!

k

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.