Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 106 replies

experience?

filabeaner

May 29, 2004, 12:43 AM
i've always been kind of curious who people that visit phonescoop worked for and what/how much experience they have with their companies.

i'll start:
all my 3 and 1/2 years are in sales. three years with sprint and 1/2 a year with cingular.

thanks
JDigital

May 29, 2004, 2:16 AM
I manage the indirect wireless part of a family business (my family). I sell Verizon and T-Mobile, and AT&T Wireless as of the first of June, as well as manage the back end of things... In fact, Verizon bought me lunch today... thanks Verizon! ๐Ÿ˜ I've been doing this for about a year.
DAntiVirus

May 29, 2004, 8:05 AM
1 yr with AOL Tech Support, 2 yrs with United Airline Customer Service, 2 yrs with Cingular.
Iyvonne

Jul 28, 2004, 5:47 PM
oh geeze hun i am sorry, i work for aol tech support for a year then did aol saves for the next 3 years, moneys good, but damn, i never want to do that again!
DDA

May 29, 2004, 9:20 AM
Me, I'm kind of a newb when it comes to sales. I have about a year with U.S. Cellular. Before that I worked about 4 years in a grocery store. ๐Ÿ™„
Starr06

May 29, 2004, 9:35 AM
2 years in corporate america
2 years in retail
I currently work for a direct T-Mobile retail store and I love it.
Shadowraven

Jun 3, 2004, 11:05 AM
๐Ÿ˜Ž I'll be three years with convergys Halifax for AWS ๐Ÿ˜ณ
abbazabba

Jul 21, 2004, 3:42 AM
I hate Convergys....Atlys is so poorly designed.
cellphone gurl

Aug 17, 2004, 10:49 PM
same from me but 14 months in Alberta
GWFOX

May 29, 2004, 12:20 PM
Experience eh?

5 years in the Pet Retail industry including management.

5 years in Circuit City retail stores including management, ops and loss prevention. I've sold ATTWS, Cingular, SprintPCS and T-Mobile with them.

1/2 year with my current company as a retailer for Verizon Wireless.

Loving every minute of selling VZW and this company I work for is GREAT! ๐Ÿ˜
muchdrama

May 29, 2004, 2:48 PM
filabeaner said:
i've always been kind of curious who people that visit phonescoop worked for and what/how much experience they have with their companies.

i'll start:
all my 3 and 1/2 years are in sales. three years with sprint and 1/2 a year with cingular.

thanks

I've got two years with Circuit City as a Technology Sales Manager (ooooooooooo...spiffy!), and part of my area is the wireless department where I started as the wireless lead.
Big Poppa

May 29, 2004, 5:53 PM
2 years with Sprint PCS Customer Service
6 Months With Verizon Wireless Welcome Call/Customer Service
Currently working for Asurion Insurance Services, for just over 3 months.
Athena

May 30, 2004, 12:22 AM
I started in the wireless industry in 1996, I was a sales rep for AT&T Wireless for 2 years, I worked as a temp for 3 months in an Airtouch retail store in 1998, and also in 1998 I went back to AT&T Wireless but in Customer Care in which I have worked for them ever since then.
theDMan

May 30, 2004, 1:06 AM
19 month's with AWS Customer Care thru CONvergys.
phonepimp3376

May 30, 2004, 1:57 PM
Airtouch Wireless>BellAtlantic Mobile...
went to indirect where I handled everything but T-Mo, 8 months with Cingular where I now reside ๐Ÿ˜
shiroitora

May 30, 2004, 3:12 PM
I've been in various positions within T-Mobile tech support for the past year. Prior to that I did tech support for internet dialup services.
-_SHARD_-

May 30, 2004, 5:45 PM
2 years on ATTWS with convergys before that no cell phones other than the one I ran up ๐Ÿ˜
justpeachy

Jun 1, 2004, 3:45 PM
about a year selling Verizon, Einstein, SunCom, and Sprint. 3 1/2 years selling US Cellular. ๐Ÿ˜ณ
timslo

Jun 1, 2004, 6:16 PM
I've been with Cingular as an agent in West Texas for 10 months. Still kind of new and learning the ropes.
js4h

Jun 1, 2004, 6:35 PM
2.5 years co-managing a Cingular exclusive indirect agent company with total of 8 stores- 3 I co-manage the other 5 have managing partners.
freedomwireless

Jun 21, 2004, 9:54 PM
I have worked for almost 2 years for a Cellular One/ Verizon dealer... we sell Cell One in the places Verizon doesn't pick up as well as a GSM phone will..we are the largest Cell One dealer in the US. We also sell quite a few Verizon phones, close to 3000 a month, through our various stores thru the NE US. So
I guess you could say I have no bias really between GSM and CDMA, they both have their respective advantages. ๐Ÿ˜‰
phonesweetie

Jun 6, 2004, 10:31 PM
I have almost 1 year experience with Cingular as a Tech Support Analyst.
towermonkey

Jun 7, 2004, 12:07 PM
3 years at Radio Crack, selling Sprint, Tracfone & Cingular, then just Sprint & Verizon... not advised.

6 months for a tower-construction crew - not advised.

18 months for a VZW exclusive indirect. Best job I've ever had.
somasoul

Jun 7, 2004, 12:39 PM
I've worked in Cellular sales since September of '98. 1 1/2 at Let's Talk cellular. Then worked for Voicestream at launch; Got fired. Then for Verizon agent for a year and half. Then I worked for AT&T, T-Mo, Cingular, Nextel Agent. Now I work for Close Call Wireless, a small Verizon re-seller in Maryland.
thatguy_overthere

Jun 8, 2004, 8:40 PM
I'm a newbie. I've been selling cell phones for 4 months at and indirect dealer where we sell Sprint, Verizon, T-mobile, AT&T and Cricket. Before that I worked for 4 years at Wells Fargo in sales and 1 & 1/2 years at American Express in sales. So I'm still learning about all of this suff.

But it's fun
VZWCustServ

Jun 10, 2004, 2:30 PM
I'm new myself, but I know my stuff.

5 months Customer Service With VZW and I'm already and assistant trainer.

Before this I worked Telemarketing for 1 1/2 years in sales and before that I did customer service for Bank of America, Chase Manhattan, Bell South Broadband, and Finance America.
mobile_guru

Jun 20, 2004, 1:48 PM
total 7 years in wireless.
now manage and bring up business in troubled locations. currently verizon wireless
JDigital

Jun 20, 2004, 9:54 PM
Verizon has "troubled locations"? No way... ๐Ÿ˜‰
verizonguyinohio

Jun 22, 2004, 5:06 PM
I have over 3 years of experience with Verizon Agents, and I manage 1 store now, but soon to be 2 or 3. We are just starting to grow in North West Ohio.

I also have 1 1/2 years at Alltel.
wirelesswill

Jul 8, 2004, 7:23 PM
I work in uscc customer service/tech support, have been here just over a year, also have 1 1/2 years on the land line side as well, so any land line ?'s are a breeze.
VZW Tech2

Jul 10, 2004, 11:42 AM
I've been an in store tech for 14 months now. I hate the job and once I get the loan to build my house, I'm out. My experience has taught me alot about human nature and the huge gap between common sense and accountability. It will be time to go back to my old job in computer repair where I CAN tell these kind of people to F off!
Nos4a2

Jul 21, 2004, 12:41 PM
VZW Tech2 said:
I've been an in store tech for 14 months now. I hate the job and once I get the loan to build my house, I'm out. My experience has taught me alot about human nature and the huge gap between common sense and accountability. It will be time to go back to my old job in computer repair where I CAN tell these kind of people to F off!

Umm... all I can say is WOW.

First things first: I've been in retail sales and management for over 15 years, but I just started with Go Wireless, an exclusive US Cellular agent, in November. I love this job, and I'm proud of what I do here on a daily basis. ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree that common sense is sometimes in short supply, and I also agree that people who take owne...
(continues)
timslo

Jul 21, 2004, 12:48 PM
Great lesson and words I can live on. Thanks Nos ๐Ÿ˜Ž
towermonkey

Jul 21, 2004, 2:41 PM
Nos4a2 said:

First things first: I've been in retail sales and management for over 15 years, but I just started with Go Wireless, an exclusive US Cellular agent, in November. I love this job, and I'm proud of what I do here on a daily basis. ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree that common sense is sometimes in short supply, and I also agree that people who take ownership for their own actions are in equally short supply at times.

Is this "gap between common sense and accountability" unique to cell phone customers? My fifteen years in retail sales and management tells me otherwise.

That being the case, I have to wonder: EXACTLY WHAT KINDS OF PEOPLE ARE "THESE KINDS OF PEOPLE?" Cell phone customers? No, because cell phone cust
(continues)
tequilasundae

Jul 21, 2004, 4:44 PM
oh nos shut the hell up!!! ๐Ÿคฃ
what kind of name is Nos4a2 anyway...
you sound like an Import racing Vampire!! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
Nos4a2

Jul 21, 2004, 4:50 PM
Silly Tequila... ๐Ÿ™‚

To me, you are a mystery shrouded in an enigma wrapped in one terrible pun.

PS- Who invited you to the grown-ups' table anyway? ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Boo. Now go 'way. -boot-
-=Nos=-
Iselltheshitoutofphones

Jul 21, 2004, 7:23 PM
Well done to you my friend. I am glad to find that you share the same sentiments as my posting....attention all reps, back to the basics.

Since you are in management, let me beg this question.....If all commisions were stopped in the wireless industry tommorow, do you think that customer service and disgrunteled customers would come to an end? Lets take away the "if you don't work, then you don't eat" theory

Will
Iselltheshitoutofphones

Jul 21, 2004, 7:25 PM
I meant to say, if you don't SELL, than you don't eat.
VZWCustServ

Jul 21, 2004, 9:14 PM
Iselltheshitoutofphones said:
Well done to you my friend. I am glad to find that you share the same sentiments as my posting....attention all reps, back to the basics.

Since you are in management, let me beg this question.....If all commisions were stopped in the wireless industry tommorow, do you think that customer service and disgrunteled customers would come to an end? Lets take away the "if you don't work, then you don't eat" theory

Will

I would like to see salespeople PAID comission if an act is set up correctly and NOT PAID comission if it has 2 2ndary lines with no primary one one act and 1 primary line on another acount with no free nights and weekends, no in-network and has no contract leng...
(continues)
abbazabba

Jul 23, 2004, 3:38 AM
Hehehehe...reminds me of our C&A dept.
Nos4a2

Jul 21, 2004, 10:08 PM
Iselltheshitoutofphones said:

Will

Will:

Good question. In my experience, the answer to your question is "No, it wouldn't change much at all. As far as I can gather, it would create LESS customer service and MORE disgruntled customers. What you're likely to wind up with is a staff full of w...
(continues)
disturbed1

Jul 21, 2004, 10:15 PM
Very well said on both accounts. I've learned that I'd love to get into wireless sales (I'm just havin a hard time breakin into it) I've always held ideals as a customer AND customer service provider that meet with what you've said in this thread.

In my opinion the best way to run things as far as payment is this: Pay a base salary that's comfortable enough to allow the employee to live within their means then follow that with incentives like commision and rewards that give them reason to keep the customers happy. This eliminates pressure from management to get things done at all costs and makes the incentives "playin with" money, which we all love to have. The more work you do, the more you have to play with at the end of the day....
(continues)
phonepimp3376

Jul 22, 2004, 1:13 AM
Sounds like the deal I got... woohooo!
timslo

Jul 22, 2004, 10:50 AM
That's kind of how my pay works. My base salary barely makes bills and groceries. But I also have a family, wife and baby. Commissions and bonuses are for how much work you put into it. Which I think is fair and also allows me to make a lot more than just my base salary.

YAY FOR PLAY!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜
abbazabba

Jul 23, 2004, 3:42 AM
I dare you to find someone who enjoys constantly talking to people in a call center about their problems with their cell phone or bill. The lying, the bitching, the ineptness of others they've talked to before you, the lack of information you're provided, the insane software issues, the bad equipment that you can't say is bad equipment, etc. The only thing that saves me sometimes is the comments I make to myself with the mute key. Find someone happy working in a call center, and I'll find you a freak.
Nos4a2

Jul 23, 2004, 11:01 AM
I work on the retail end of things in the wireless industry, so I do not feel your specific brand of pain. However, I did work at a call center for a web-based home furnishings distributor, so I know how difficult some customers can be on the telephone. It's easier to be rude because the means of communication is less direct than face-to-face conversation. Believe me, I empathize.

As a retail consultant, I do everything I can to make sure my customers have been informed on everything they need to know UP FRONT. It takes me a few extra minutes to explain these things; I also have one of the lowest chargeback percentages in my district because of it. I do it because I hate chargebacks, and I don't enjoy dealing with irate customers. I...
(continues)
abbazabba

Jul 24, 2004, 3:52 AM
I'd settle for store reps who didn't lie to me when I ask them if they already programmed the phone.
Nos4a2

Jul 24, 2004, 1:45 PM
You have store reps who don't program the handset for the customer? In the long, sad history of the bad idea, not programming and test-calling the phone before turning it over to the customer ranks somewhere between golfing during a thunderstorm and swimming with a cement lifejacket.

There's 2 minutes spent that saves the customer, the store, and customer service a metric ton of headaches right there! No wonder you're using your 'mute' button...

Talk about an ounce of prevention... oy vay!

-=Nos=-
Still part of the solution, last time I checked.
towermonkey

Jul 26, 2004, 11:28 AM
Word. In the past two years that I've worked for VZW, I've seen the non-program situation happen exactly three times. Twice, a local RAdio Smack employee forgot to program the handsets, and then the customer came to us to fix it, and then once I saw a fellow employee complete a sale, hand the customer the phone, and we both watched the customer walk out. Then I said, "DID you program that phone?" and my buddy ran out & caught the guy in the parking lot. Luckily the gentleman had a good sense of humor & we all had a good laugh about it. I seem to remember reading somewhere that companies that admit to errors & sucessfully fix them have a much higher repeat-business percentage than companies that never have problems in the first place... it ma...
(continues)
renfield

Jul 26, 2004, 9:31 PM
Now if I could just get Verizon agents to have all the consumers information at hand when the Agents call in for help with the consumer on the line so I don't have to get it all from the consumer again. I dunno what it is but I tend to get a lot of calls form Verizon CSR's who for some reason aren't able to do the simple task of calling up the consumers files. Are they not interconencted and share a Database? *sigh*

One of the reaosn I like this Forumn and this site is the sharing of knowledge to make ALL of our jobs easier.
abbazabba

Jul 27, 2004, 2:46 AM
Dude, half the time, the customers can't figure out who they are or what they're mobile number is. I've gotten to saying things like, "Don't call yourself much, do you?"
sammy2

Jul 24, 2004, 6:45 PM
I'm not in the phone business but as a mediator I know something about conflict in families and businesses. Relating to others is much about managing expectations (your own and others). We would need to first ask ourselves what are the expectations of the wireless customer and how did they come by them. Could they have come by them from the providers advertising? In that advertising I do not see any mention of shadow areas or dropped calls due to too many calls in an area. I hear that the quality of each and every call is superb, the coverage is virtually universal, phones and accessories that never break down and a provider that will meet your needs. Wireless advertising is almost as prevalent as auto ads and they work to get the cust...
(continues)
mobile_guru

Jul 25, 2004, 11:36 AM
looks like you got your phone from me.
Insomniac

Jul 25, 2004, 4:12 PM
everyone talks about the level up of customer service however the way the businesses themselves do the training is the reason why this business has the one of lowest satisfaction rates in the country, despite being so popular. I work retail now however i did work for CSR for a year and ill tell you the way call centers are ran are horrid. Albeit this was an outsourced call center (theres the first problem) as an out source we are treated like an outsource employee from day 1 and not a member of the parent company. Secondly many of these outsource companies have different perogatives and could really give a damn about loss prevention etc. I was lied to my boss on a daily basis about health insurance and benefits and pay increases and promotio...
(continues)
sammy2

Jul 25, 2004, 9:17 PM
I'm sorry you had such frustrating experiences. Ultimately it is up to us to control the level of integrity that we provide to a job. If the support for a high level of integrity is not available then employment should be sought elsewhere. Fortunately it was one of the early lessons I learned in employment.

I recall leaving an executive position twenty years ago because the firm was no living up to the standards it had set for itself and promises made. At the end of the day you need to feel good about the work you d, otherwise it will eat at you and frustrate others.

I am aware that many call centers set goals and compensation rewards that have little to do with customer satisfaction. When I am talking with a CSR at a call center ...
(continues)
abbazabba

Jul 26, 2004, 1:40 AM
The worst part of being a CSR where I am is the time statistics. A group called "workforce management" controls every aspect of time in your day. The decide your shift, your days off (which never seem to be together), your break times, your lunch times. They decide if you can take a vacation when you want to. They decide if your calls are too long.

The greatest thing about this, they're not your boss, you don't report to them, and they will under no circumstances actually talk to you.

We're told to have excellent customer service and customer empathy, and yet we are forced to deal with a group as internal customers who treat us like automatons.

The entire concept of the call center blows. Nobody wants to work in them, and nobo...
(continues)
renfield

Jul 26, 2004, 8:45 AM
Yep call center work sucks...rocks through a five mile garden hose.
I work with a company thats super-anal about their call metrics too. IF I call in sick I have to get a doctors note or get written up for not being there. So not only do I lose a days pay for being sick if I have no PTO left but I also have to shell out the $30 co-pay. In other words it costs me about $120 to have a sick day.
The worse part about this job is all the crap info I HAVE to get before I can even ask the customers what their problem is. IF I could just answere the phone and say "Thanks for calling Samsung how can I help you today?" and only take info if I have to do actuall trouble-shooting or escalation, my job would be TEN tiems easier and we could probably ge...
(continues)
Nos4a2

Jul 26, 2004, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Ren. Posts like yours confirm for me that it all starts at the retail end of things. If the retail sales rep doesn't properly explain these things, the customer almost invariably becomes upset and frustrated later on.

I also agree: INSURANCE SOLVES A LOT OF PROBLEMS. However, even that can generate customer angst if they don't properly understand how to file a claim and get their new phone. Our insurance attachment rate here is very high, just because we explain how it works and why it's such a good idea.

IT ALL STARTS AT THE RETAIL SALES COUNTER.

Retail reps: do your customers and your company a huge favor, and take the extra couple...
(continues)
dsmith5237

Jul 26, 2004, 10:26 PM
To the post above, I for one set realistic expectations to customers I sell to. From a store sales/service rep perspective, my biggest issues are from third party retailers that set false expectations. As a corporate sales rep, if I screw it up then the customer comes back to me and I fix it, they aren't passed down the line so to speak. For 3rd party retailers there is much less accountability, in my area at least. Another problem is when customers walk up and want their 'free' phone that the call center rep promised them. Um, yeah, you gotta tell the customer that it's a MAIL-IN rebate.

I do sales & service at a Sprint PCS store. We are one of the leading sales stores and we always have a line full of service issues as well. Ou...
(continues)
abbazabba

Jul 27, 2004, 2:33 AM
For insurance...if you're filing a claim...do yourself a favor, always say it's lost/stolen.
towermonkey

Jul 27, 2004, 10:19 AM
Why would you want to do that?!? Asurion makes you fill out a police report if it's a lost/stolen situation. That's a right royal pain in the ass. Just put the damn phone in the little prepaid envelope they give you, mail it back.
Nos4a2

Jul 27, 2004, 7:40 PM
Towermonkey, I agree completely. It can be a huge pain to claim a phone as "stolen". This is just one more example as to why honesty is the best policy.

Insurance is there to cover accidents. Accidents happen. It's not like they're going to tell the customer that their particular accident was so spectacular and unique that they're S.O.L., and I have heard some pretty interesting "oops"es.

Maybe that should be the topic of a new thread... hrm...

-=Nos=-
"Wisdom is simply an uncommon degree of common sense." -Mark Twain
abbazabba

Jul 28, 2004, 2:24 AM
Our insurance company has told people that they wouldn't cover the truth.
SaintJwf

Jul 28, 2004, 9:07 AM
who is you're insurance company?
abbazabba

Jul 30, 2004, 1:54 AM
The signal
SaintJwf

Jul 30, 2004, 9:11 AM
yeah, that explains it
renfield

Jul 30, 2004, 2:07 PM
*sigh*

Is it to much to ask to sales reps to give customers a brief rundown on how to USE the phones, how to use the menus etc? Just telling the user how to turn the phones ON and OFF would probbaly save about 100 calls a week!
Granted this may be difficult in phone sales, but still. Yeesh. Too many phone manufacturers asusme people are repeat users or that the phones are fairly intuitive. Oh sure intuitive enough for an idiot to really screw up their phone...8P
2Rails

Jul 29, 2004, 6:49 PM
some of my favorite 'oops'es:
1)guy ran over his phone with a lawnmower, brought in a bag full of grass clippings and phone chunks and asked me to fix it.
2)guy dropped phone in garbage disposal while doing dishes, his wife hit the 'light' switch to help him get it out... wrong friggin' switch (it's amazing what garbage disposals do to camera phones)
3)guy brought in just the antenna... it was all that was left after his phone "somehow" made it into the wood chipper

and the list goes on and on...

happy selling all
abbazabba

Jul 28, 2004, 2:23 AM
because signal doesn't
iden79

Jul 29, 2004, 1:43 PM
Signal sux! Signal is the worst insurance provider out there.
tequilasundae

Jul 29, 2004, 1:49 PM
yes ...signal has gotten too picky...if you lose a phone in our market, they make you do the proof of loss form....they ask to fax in the acct holders ID and half the time these people arent' carrying it,,they dont' call the customer to tell them they need a proof of loss form...one guy they made wait at least 2 weeks,,(mexican) who didn't understand the process,....he made the first call..waited...looked on the website..said he needed POL form...filled it out ..another 5 days goes by...look again says pending..i call and ask why??? they wanna know how he's paying for it...WHY NOT CALL AND ASK THE GUY>>signal blows,,,,
iden79

Jul 29, 2004, 1:58 PM
MY ISSUE IS THEIR DEDUCTIBLE! I HAVE THE I730, AND THEY WANT $100.00 TO REPLACE IT. WHY, I CAN DO AN UPGRADE AND GET IT FOR 124.99. NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT THEY ARE CONSTANTLY CHANGIMG DEDUCTIBLES ON CERTAIN PHONES AND REFUSE TO KEEP NEXTEL UP TO DATE IN REGARDS TO WHAT PHONE HAS WHAT DEDUCTIBLE. THEY WOULD RATHER RETAIL SALES REPS TELL CUST "I DON'T KNOW" THAN GIVE SALES REPS THE OPPURTUNITY TO KEEP THEIR CUSTOMERS INFORMED.
Digital Beach

Jul 29, 2004, 3:41 PM
If you are in a place to provide another protection plan check into e-club, our customers have been real happy. I do not sell Signal anymore.
Iyvonne

Jul 28, 2004, 5:56 PM
Nos4a2 said:
Thanks, Ren. Posts like yours confirm for me that it all starts at the retail end of things. If the retail sales rep doesn't properly explain these things, the customer almost invariably becomes upset and frustrated later on.

I also agree: INSURANCE SOLVES A LOT OF PROBLEMS. However, even that can generate customer angst if they don't properly understand how to file a claim and get their new phone. Our insurance attachment rate here is very high, just because we explain how it works and why it's such a good idea.

Retail reps: do your customers and your company a huge
(continues)
BigBossMan

Aug 2, 2004, 4:06 PM
Now I realize that even though sales reps and customer service are a "team", and each side could tell equal horror stories on the other. but the only comment i would like to make is that when i was a sale rep for Verizon i would dreed calling into customer service for the simple fact I would have to hang up and call back 10 times before i would get a rep that spoke english well enough that i could understand them. My district manager would even crack jokes about "don't even bother if can't say the name of the person from customer service" ๐Ÿ˜ณ
abbazabba

Jul 23, 2004, 3:51 AM
I feel your pain.

For 80 years, people were happy so long as they picked up a phone, and there was a dial tone. Now, I have some twit calling me because the date won't show on her phone. I like to help people, actually. I like to help people with for real problems. Not having the date under the alpha tag on your phone doesn't constitute a problem. My personal favorite though, are the people who call in freaking out about the "coffee cup" showing on their screen. I think I could tell them it means they've launched nuclear missles, and they'd believe me.
GWFOX

Jul 25, 2004, 11:10 AM
abbazabba said:
My personal favorite though, are the people who call in freaking out about the "coffee cup" showing on their screen. I think I could tell them it means they've launched nuclear missles, and they'd believe me.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAA! Dude that would rule.

Customer: I did WHAT?

Rep: Yes. You just started world war 3.

Customer: Oh. My. God.
sherryberry

Jul 10, 2004, 10:58 PM
i'm totally new to selling cell phones. I have just had a month with T-Mobile as an event rep. It's all right but some customers really love to bullshit you about what plan they have. Do they think we're that stupid? I work at a Sam's Club close to my house and they sell everything so I know my competition somewhat and I already knew T-Mobile's stuff cuz I have T-Mobile. Now I am trying out Cingular to see how they compare. And probably will return it in 14 days too ๐Ÿ™‚
qwerty - qwerty - qwerty

Jul 13, 2004, 12:56 AM
I've been in wireless retail for about 2 years. Everyone at my store treats me as the go-to guy, but I still feel kinda new. I still learn new things every now and then.

I've had some experience with ATTWS & Sprint PCS. But more with Cingular, T-mobile and Verizon Wireless.

The traffic in my store really varies from time to time. On the average I do a little over 50 phones a month. It would be nice if we were paid commision but we're not. I still go out of my way to help people though.

I personally had Cingular for 3 years, before I was in wireless retail. Now I have T-mobile.

I'm also kinda new to this website. I haven't read all the threads, but this forum seems interesting enough.
phonepimp3376

Jul 13, 2004, 9:45 AM
Welcome to the insanity, qwerty! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
abbazabba

Jul 21, 2004, 3:52 AM
I worked for a year at Best Buy dealing with Sprint, T-Mobile, Cingular, AWS, and Virgin. ๐Ÿ˜•

Since the first of the year, I work for a carrier that's not represented here, SunCom, as a Customer Care Rep, though now I'm Senior rep in tech assistance. ๐Ÿ˜›

um...oh yeah, WE GET IT! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Craftabc

Jul 21, 2004, 1:13 PM
Where do you live? also, Suncom really doesnt compare to other carriers, they are small. Also, Suncom was Originally made just so that they could be bought out by ATTWs but that isnt going to happen because Cingular bought them out. The reason ATTWS never did is because they looked at how many subscribers were on the Unplan, and on paper it looks great. But with further investigation ATTWS found that it would be a bad investment because of the lack of money they made. If you sell unlimited minutes, 300 just-in-case minutes, as well as having pretty good coverage in NC,VA,and SC your just not going to be that profitable. Not to mention that Suncom used to Auto-renew your Contract if you didnt put in a cancelation notice in before your contrac...
(continues)
SammyJankis

Aug 18, 2004, 12:00 PM
i was with cingular wireless sales for two and a half years and now i'm a customer service professional at verizon. i may go back to either cingular retail sales or verizion retail sales in the near future.
BowWowWow

Aug 18, 2004, 12:28 PM
I like the B2B side at VZW. The businesspeople, for the most part, know what they're doing & don't quibble about big rate plans. The aggregate plans are a big moneymaker for us, too. Lots of PDAs & aircards, and the occasional a790. Regular hours, since most businesspeople (at least around here) knock off at 5 or 6 pm. I worked at National Accounts for about 2 months, and that was OK too. Those guys absolutely did not care how much phones cost, nothing. Chevron was the best - they ordered 500 Moto V60S' about 6 months after they bought a pile of Audiovox 8600s & some Nokia 3589is. We hit them with a nice deal on th replacement handsets & they went for it...
SammyJankis

Aug 18, 2004, 2:38 PM
i did some b2b at cingular but our customers quibbled over the price of everything! lawyers, doctors, executives, didn't matter how much money they made the wanted everything free. i'm sorry just because you make 6 figures a year doesn't entitle you to free s*it.
BowWowWow

Aug 18, 2004, 3:01 PM
Interesting. I prefer B2B over regular walk-ins. Less of a hassle over where the phone is going to work, upgrades, proration, etc. We generally didn't fool with anything under 5 or 10 lines. Sometimes we'd give away car chargers to big customers, and we usually gave a discount on large purchases of phones & accessories. I even worked for an indirect for a while, and they gave away tons of stuff with new activations. Some of it was cheapo stuff, but every now and then they would give away OEM leather cases & the like.

B2B clients seem to prefer the high end handsets & data devices. Lots of Crackberries. Big rate plans - $300 aircards with $80 rate plans, for example.

I worked at Radio Smack for a while in college, that's how I got start...
(continues)
SammyJankis

Aug 18, 2004, 4:36 PM
i'm going back to school for a mba but i think i want to stay in the wireless entry. i might go b2b but i think i would go back to regular sales. i might try to get back in with cingular. but like vzw benefits. right now i do customer service via a vendor of verizon.
BowWowWow

Aug 18, 2004, 4:59 PM
Nice. Which one? I couldn't handle being a call center CSR - I'd go postal in about 2 minutes. I have no patience for fools, and unfortunately wireless seems to attract more than its' fair share of defective customers.

Yeah, VZW's benefits are stellar, especially the PPO. And they pay what seems to be a slightly above-average salary for the industry.
SammyJankis

Aug 18, 2004, 8:53 PM
i work in a vzw call center in alabama its smaller and more ghetto than the one i worked at for cingular. call center work is not that bad. yea i get a lot of bull$hit calls. and i want to yell at these folks sometime but i'm used to it. i'm sure the stores are less stressful but i'm sure they get their fair share of wackos.

i really work for a vendor for verizon but i would rather work for vzw sales as a vzw employee. for the salary and benifits but i do prefer call center work now. i wonder how the transistion would be.
dj89

Mar 31, 2011, 7:30 PM
1 yr in Sprint cfs and care.
BMDroid

Mar 31, 2011, 8:41 PM
Why did you respond to a seven year old post? Srsly? Your one year customer care experience is that important? Ok shaniqua.
dj89

Mar 31, 2011, 9:00 PM
I'm neither black nor female.

I just felt like it.
hobble

Apr 1, 2011, 2:49 PM
I know a chinese guy named shaniqua you racist.
pickles

Mar 31, 2011, 10:27 PM
shaniqua don't live here no 'mo!
pickles

Mar 31, 2011, 10:28 PM
since you already necroposted, i am not guilty of necroposting.

3 years experience selling appliances/electronics for rc willey and a couple others, 1.5 yrs experience selling at&t wireless, uverse, and home internet
fleurdemiel

Apr 23, 2011, 9:04 PM
1 year of selling at&t wireless service, home internet, all forms of uverse and direct tv and harassing Pickles. ๐Ÿคจ
ghepau

Apr 24, 2011, 3:32 PM
2 years 2 months with sprint telesales. now about 2 months with wirefly/anything else you can imagine ๐Ÿคฃ
eflip213

Apr 25, 2011, 7:16 AM
4 years with BellSouth Mobility/ Cingular
1 year with T-Mobile
8 years (and currently) in the indirect channel

1st phone sold: Motorola MicroTac
tmobile69

Apr 25, 2011, 9:27 AM
Only about 6 months in sales with T-Mobile & already sick of the predictable customer lol
tmorep03

Apr 25, 2011, 9:28 AM
I have been in tmobile sales 2 yrs next month. So i know exactly what your talking about. I can guess the customers credit class before even running it. Its pretty sad.
tmobile69

Apr 25, 2011, 11:12 AM
Omg same here when Flexpay was still around we like took bets on who was M or N class...always right and exactly who's asking about smartphones with no data lol
tmorep03

Apr 25, 2011, 11:29 AM
Ya its still around for over the phone sales ๐Ÿ˜ก
tmobile69

Apr 25, 2011, 11:33 AM
I know...its annoying lol
tmorep03

Apr 25, 2011, 11:47 AM
Yep i just got my second flex n of the day. I only have one or two people qualify for post paid service a month. I get the worst markets. I have people around me geting post paid customer all the time.
tmobile69

Apr 25, 2011, 3:42 PM
That totally sucks โ˜น๏ธ Im glad we're back to deposits though, it actually lets me sell something lol
lightninginabottle

Apr 25, 2011, 1:40 PM
I've been working for the company I'm with now for a lil over 1 year and it's been only sales. First was Capital One and now T-Mobile, about 6 months for both.
mrsdrpepper

Apr 25, 2011, 1:47 PM
2 and 1/2 yrs in Warranty Service Center for big blue!

2 yrs in Other call center work( Electric Co.)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.