Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 27 replies

Tmobile/Clearwire to AT&T ?

olderthandirt

Mar 22, 2011, 6:51 PM
so when is all said and done will both those go together and if so is it going to drive a stake through Sprints heart if it can be found
ElTriste

Mar 22, 2011, 6:52 PM
Speeka engrish you plick.
pickles

Mar 22, 2011, 7:23 PM
the at&t/tmobile merger has nothing to do with clearwire.
olderthandirt

Mar 22, 2011, 8:40 PM
T mobile owns clearwire now
cstone

Mar 22, 2011, 8:46 PM
When did that happen? I thought Sprint owns Clearwire... Did I miss something?
olderthandirt

Mar 23, 2011, 4:33 PM
Sprint seperated itself from Clearwire and expected them to go bankrupt and being able to pick up their resources cheap. Deutsche Telecom via T Mobile bought Clearwire.

Deutsche Telecom offered to sell both to Sprint for a large interest in Sprint. Sprint declined and now is in a workd of trouble it seems.

Left with only LTE as an option
dj89

Mar 23, 2011, 4:43 PM
Can you link me the resources for the clear wire purchase by DT?
pickles

Mar 23, 2011, 4:56 PM
because it didn't happen. sprint still owns 54% of clearwire.
olderthandirt

Mar 23, 2011, 5:12 PM
posted Mar 8, 2011, 7:10 AM by Eric M. Zeman

According to sources cited by Bloomberg, Deutsche Telekom has discussed the idea of selling T-Mobile USA to Sprint in exchange for a stake in the new entity. Talks have been on-going, and Bloomberg's sources weren't sure if a deal would or wouldn't be reached, but Deutsche Telekom said "all options are open" and it would consider selling all or a part of T-Mobile USA. Sprint and T-Mobile USA, the country's third and fourth largest wireless network operators, respectively, have struggled against larger rivals AT&T and Verizon Wireless. By combining their resources and technologies, they might have a better chance of competing. No mention was made of how the companies would overcome the GSM/CD...
(continues)
dj89

Mar 23, 2011, 5:22 PM
Keep in mind sir that this is a rumor, and that there is a separate blog for this.

I have a lot of respect for you, though, which is why I'm not calling BS to your figurative face and asking if you have more concrete evidence for this...
olderthandirt

Mar 23, 2011, 5:32 PM
I thank you for that. There is a lot going on and not all source are reliable. But it is going to be interesting to see what happens in the next six months.

This is not something I look at as deep as I could. More interested in what others find out and feel.

It is going to be bad if it all results in lost jobs.
pickles

Mar 23, 2011, 5:52 PM
they discussed the idea of selling t-mobile to sprint. that article has NOTHING to do with clearwire. sorry i'm not trying to be a know it all jerk, but you're confused for sure.

at&t ended up purchasing t-mobile, only instead of tmo getting a 50% stake like they demanded from sprint, they got 8 percent and a bunch of cash from at&t. clearwire is still owned (majority 54%, not total owners) by sprint.
pickles

Mar 22, 2011, 10:59 PM
lol no, they don't! check your facts guy
olderthandirt

Mar 23, 2011, 5:29 PM
Sorry not sure what you got there.
olderthandirt

Mar 22, 2011, 9:20 PM
Actually it does. They are both owned by a German telecom company and Clearwire is owned by T mobile
pickles

Mar 22, 2011, 10:59 PM
lol tmobile doesn't own clearwire. i thought old guys had more knowledge than young guys....? just sayin
olderthandirt

Mar 23, 2011, 4:30 PM
Actually it was bought by Deutsche Telecom and packaged with T Mobile and yes T Mobile now gets to us Wimax to upgrade their network.

It was offered to Sprint and they declined and stabbed themselves in the heart as a result.

Now Sprint will have to look to LTE.

Sprint is in serious trouble now.
pickles

Mar 23, 2011, 4:55 PM
clearwire is owned by sprint.

"Sprint owns 54% of the firm, with ex-Clearwire shareholders owning 27% — a consortium of Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Intel, Google, and Bright House Networks invested $3.2 billion and own the balance"

i copypasted that straight from here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearwire »

not that wikipedia is always super accurate, but in this case it's a lot more accurate than the lies you're trying to push.

you should quit posting until you know what you're talking about, you're confusing a lot of people.
olderthandirt

Mar 23, 2011, 5:19 PM
There was more about Clearwire but I am not sure if it was in Phonescoop or I got it from a financial source.

I actually really care less as this is not an area I really am into. Just some stuff I pick up in other areas.

Bloomberg Business News is a fair source of info. There are other sources out there.

Also reactions and statements Hesse has make should be examined for what is not said as well as said.

There is a lot going on as the need for data bandwidth with new phones is stressing the networks
pickles

Mar 23, 2011, 5:23 PM
olderthandirt said:
There is a lot going on as the need for data bandwidth with new phones is stressing the networks

at least you got somethin right. but yeah man, clearwire is still owned (majority, not completely) by sprint. look it up, trust me. t-mobile did have opportunities to invest in clearwire, but they declined and expressed no interest in clearwire.
nudecat

Mar 22, 2011, 7:37 PM
yep, that is why sprint has said they are going to fight it. that and i think they had their eye on t-mobile for them selves.
olderthandirt

Mar 22, 2011, 8:40 PM
it was offered to them but they would not do it. Now they are screwed
nudecat

Mar 22, 2011, 8:49 PM
they had there chance and now they realize that they missed it, so they are going up against at&t to stop them from getting it since they are not going to be able to.
i suspect that at&t would be doing the same thing if sprint had managed to get t-mobile.
then again i could be wrong about it.
olderthandirt

Mar 22, 2011, 9:52 PM
AT&T is the second one that was offered tmobile and clearwire by the company that actually bought both of them. Sprint had first choice and did not do it. Did not want to give up control of the company at all.

Sprint shot themselves in the foot when they tried to bankrupt clearwire and then gain owership. Good by to Sprints 4g using wifi. Now are facing having to use LTE and that is not going to work
pickles

Mar 22, 2011, 11:01 PM
no, tmobile never bought clearwire. everything else is mostly correct. sprints 4g doesn't use "wifi" it uses "wimax", a type of "4G" technology. they're the only US provider offering wimax, and the wimax service is provided to sprint by clearwire. tmobile does NOT (i repeat, NOT) own clearwire. never have and probably never will, but who knows.
olderthandirt

Mar 23, 2011, 1:02 PM
Sorry you were right about wimax. However Clearwire and T mobile were bought via Deutsche Telecom. They were both offered to Sprint in a bid that Sprint rejected. Now Sprint has to look to LTE to survive
😁
pickles

Mar 23, 2011, 2:42 PM
olderthandirt, NO clearwire and tmobile were not bought together. sprint still owns a majority stake of clearwire. you're wrong bud.
olderthandirt

Mar 23, 2011, 1:02 PM
They had it offered to them and failed to take advantage of it. Got stake in heart as result

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.