Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 59 replies

What pisses you off the most about call center/store reps [flame on]

justfinethanku

Oct 7, 2010, 6:00 PM
Seriously though, in the name of possibly changing the things we do to help out our co-workers, what kind of things piss you off?

What things do call center reps do that piss you off?

What things do sales reps do that piss you off?
Black_Beard

Oct 7, 2010, 6:30 PM
Well for some reason most store rep are retarded (prolly no you) and don't call the right numbers....end up getting tele-sales/buisness sales when they need activation,customers care,credit department,ect. Which ruines our sales conversion goals and really pisses us off. ๐Ÿ˜ก
i think thats actually the only thing that store reps do thats horrible.
serendair

Oct 7, 2010, 7:08 PM
Store/Financial Services/Sales Reps: Do not promise the customer an activation fee/upgrade fee waiver; I am going to send them right back to your department/store if you do that, which will annoy my boss and hurt my transfer rate.

You promise it? You or your manager needs to remove the activation fee/upgrade fee. Call center customer care, by company policy, is NOT able to do this.
Scootypuffjr

Oct 7, 2010, 7:28 PM
Don't transfer activation calls to the sales dept (me) when I know full well that you can activate a phone in-store.

Don't tell the customer that we can match web pricing over the phone.

Don't tell the customer that we can waive activation/ upgrade fees. We can't. Deal with it.

Don't tell customers that we are customer relations (get this all the time) we're saves.

Don't tell customers that we sell the iPhone. (we don't)
Robokitty

Oct 7, 2010, 11:50 PM
When store reps will argue over AT&T's policy and escalate the call.

When store reps are more rude than the actual customer.

When call center reps are more rude than the actual customer.

I have to deal with rude as$ customers all day - I don't need to take any bull$h!t from you.

When a store rep thinks that just because they work for AT&T that I will/can warranty exchange their phone that's out of warranty. I never saw that on the list of job benefits. ๐Ÿคจ One has even said "Hey man, I know you'll take care of me because we both work for AT&T."

Lol. Not.

When store reps are so unprofessional in front of customers that you'd think that they were the actual customer.
OfAMightDivine

Oct 8, 2010, 12:26 AM
That's because most employees are nothing more than paid customers. The rules don't apply to them.
ZumiezEastCoast

Oct 8, 2010, 1:33 PM
actually yes they do. they get payed to do a job and whatever it may be or how they are suppose to do it. they have to be courteous, kind and welcoming. as many times id love to say screw you for being an a$$..... i cant due to its my job to make cust's happy.
OfAMightDivine

Oct 8, 2010, 4:13 PM
What part of *most* did you not understand? Good for you that you have some self-respect to do your job. Most people are idiots, and do not feel that way.

Regardless of how you *think* it is, or should be, that is not how it is. Realize how most of your customers are. Is there really any surprise that most employees are like that, too?

Most customers are self-important, ignorant and foolish. Most employees are like that. And yes, I speak from a position to see that in employees, considering I have 20-30 reporting to me and have for some time. I've fired more people than I've hired.

Once in a blue moon, you get a decent, kind and understanding customer. Same thing with employees on the other end... no?
sinister

Oct 10, 2010, 4:29 PM
Nah see...that's not even correct. even though you might be the minority that treats people the right way, you are not the majority of store agents that treat phone agents like crap.

for example: got the sweetest fsr on our row taking an ESCALATED call with a STORE REP that escalated the call. long story short, the store rep ends the ESCALATED call by calling my fsr a C..U..N..T!! & he was cor.

let's give you another example in the multitude of examples of rude & inept store agents (not just indirect but COR as well). indirect agent calls & states that she has a customer in store & that equip was returned under bre & that I needed to reset that contract back for her so she can make a sale. well i informed the agent that this was a p...
(continues)
80dollarcarcharger

Oct 11, 2010, 11:40 AM
Nerd Rage at it's finest
sinister

Oct 11, 2010, 3:11 PM
yes..yes i am a nerd..glasses, books, WoW, computer warfare & all... ๐Ÿ˜
ZumiezEastCoast

Oct 11, 2010, 4:32 PM
haha vaild point!
Robokitty

Oct 8, 2010, 3:07 PM
Luckily my call center is starting to report rude reps to their own supervisor's boss. ๐Ÿ˜

I believe one girl even got fired the other day because of it. It made me feel happy inside. ๐Ÿ˜›
OfAMightDivine

Oct 8, 2010, 4:22 PM
The sad thing is that they won't do anything to the customers who cause those once-good reps to go downhill.

I've seen so many reps through the years slowly wither away because of customers. The companies do nothing.

Think of how good customer service would be out there if reps were able to disconnect a call on a customer who just won't stop cussing. Or doing disgusting things. I've had so many reps in my office, in tears because some guy was on the other end of the line doing inappropriate things, and they could not disconnect the call for fear of losing their job.

But the company cares about you.
Robokitty

Oct 8, 2010, 4:27 PM
The sad thing is that they won't do anything to the customers who cause those once-good reps to go downhill.

That's assuming they were once-good reps to begin with. ๐Ÿคจ
This job isn't for everybody.
OfAMightDivine

Oct 8, 2010, 4:51 PM
True enough. But I feel that *most* people are good hearted and want to do a good job. A lot of those reps that fail right out of the gate are due to poor leadership from their management.

Some people have the ability to take learning and self-respect in their own hands, most people however need to be taught it. Most supervisors/managers are just that. Sups and Management. They act based on what they are told, and do not have thoughts of their own.

I train my agents (and yes, I call them agents to their faces, and not reps.) to be leaders and not representatives.

Guess who's team has had the most people pulled for floor support.

Guess who's team has been number 1 or 2 for the last 3 years?

Guess who's team's agents have t...
(continues)
Robokitty

Oct 8, 2010, 5:11 PM
Well I guess i'm used to a more pessismistic look at this kind of thing because (most of) the sups at my call center are less-than-enthusiastic to even do their jobs/help agents/help customers. Why most of them are even supervisors is beyond me. ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

All they know how to do is put pressure on people and when the agents don't meet their standards they threaten/do write up/fire their reps. ๐Ÿ™„
OfAMightDivine

Oct 8, 2010, 5:43 PM
Yeah, I understand. That's exactly what I meant by
OfAMightDivine said:Most supervisors/managers are just that. Sups and Management. They act based on what they are told, and do not have thoughts of their own.

I was a rep before too. It's how I started and that kind of behavior infuriated me.

The whole call center environment is build around pressure and control. It's unnecessarily stressful and causes noting but problems. I won't do that. I take the stress so my agents can do their job. That's what a manager is *supposed* to do. I learned that from my manager that I currently have now.
Robokitty

Oct 8, 2010, 5:48 PM
You sound awesome. ๐Ÿ˜›

What call center do you work in?
OfAMightDivine

Oct 8, 2010, 5:54 PM
Well, that I can't say. Our center monitors these things sometimes =p.

I'm in the northeast though.
Robokitty

Oct 8, 2010, 5:55 PM
Oh lol. ๐Ÿ˜› Well there should be more sups like you. ๐Ÿ˜
OfAMightDivine

Oct 8, 2010, 5:57 PM
There are. Unfortunately they tend to get fired because upper upper management doesn't like people who do the right thing instead of what they're told. Only reason I'm still around is because my boss takes my head off the chopping plate a lot lol.
ZumiezEastCoast

Oct 8, 2010, 6:17 PM
yeah its pretty lame when we get introuble for doing the right thing or going the extra step to acheve the cust's satisfation.
Researcher

Oct 8, 2010, 6:00 PM
Think of how good customer service would be out there if reps were able to disconnect a call on a customer who just won't stop cussing.

We do that all the time. They get ONE warning!
OfAMightDivine

Oct 8, 2010, 6:08 PM
True, some places do allow that. By far most do not however.
phyxlor

Oct 9, 2010, 1:53 PM
Use the help-stop-help method.
Script:
"I would like to help with and if the language stops, I will be able to help you."

2. If the abuse or language continues, give a second warning and direct the customer back to their reason for calling.

Note: Offer to warm transfer customer to Coach or Senior Representative to assist with call. If caller is not interested, continue to Step 3.
Script:
"Again, Mr./Ms. Customer, I would really like to assist you with , but first the language must stop before I can."

3. If the abuse or language continues, politely give the third warning and direct the customer back to their reason for calling. Script:

"Again, I request for the 3rd time that the language please stop so I can assist you ...
(continues)
Simply_Eric

Oct 8, 2010, 9:41 AM
On the Sprint side, don't send a customer into the store with a broken phone after setting the expectation that they're going to get a replacement phone on the spot. They're not and then we both end up looking bad. We have to place an order to over-night the phones just like you.

Other than that, usually don't have a problem with phone reps.
ZumiezEastCoast

Oct 8, 2010, 1:34 PM
policy is they need to go into the stores to have it checked out, then ordered.
phyxlor

Oct 9, 2010, 10:04 AM
Right, but send them with the correct expectations.

tho i know you can tell a cust, clear as day, and they will still walk in to the store and say they were told they'd get a new phone here and now...
ZumiezEastCoast

Oct 11, 2010, 4:39 PM
yeah we were told to follow a basic script to inform them....... but they dont give a crap. they will say anything under the sun to get away with it. like i was told by a cust the other say that he had to travel to the next state to get to a store. ๐Ÿคจ so i asked him so where did you get your service set up at? there reply was starting to say at my local store then stopped at the begining of store. looked on the store locator. not even three miles away. thanks for lying you just made me not care if you had to travel to get to it for lying to me like that.
ecycled

Oct 8, 2010, 10:47 AM
I really like ppl, honestly I do. I don't get pissed at call center/store reps (I'm a store rep) for the most part. I do prefer they be educated, but I understand things change in cell/landline/directv every other week and some things slip our minds, no biggie happens to me every once in a while.

My complaints lie with the fact that we are competitors. When I call in they ask if I'm Cor or just a dealer, I'm a dealer. I think we are working for the same goals: customers = money = keeping our jobs.

Also, have you ever called ATT's landline automated process! What a crock.
ccareatatt

Oct 8, 2010, 11:17 AM
People there to get a damn paycheck.. im tired of it. Tired of the drama and highschool mentality of people. Wish people were more professional and kinder to customers.
Researcher

Oct 8, 2010, 12:55 PM
do not have all the info ready when they call in. Simple things like MDN and ESN. Unlike store reps when you work in a call center you need to handle each call ASAP.

If we have to wait just because the rep dosen't have all the info then our stats suffer. Plus if they wait on line they should have all the info ready.
ZumiezEastCoast

Oct 8, 2010, 1:37 PM
or there talking to there buddy or not paying attention to you, alot of the times there worse than a darn customer.
Researcher

Oct 8, 2010, 2:11 PM
I agree.

But make THEM wait........ ๐Ÿ˜ก
ZumiezEastCoast

Oct 8, 2010, 2:44 PM
yeah then they act like there in a rush to get it done, its like look lets work together to get this done and order your darn food or talk about how crazy lastnight was later deff not infront of the cust ๐Ÿ‘ฟ
ochne

Oct 8, 2010, 12:59 PM
When you promise to give the customer a specific credit, then don't.

Store Reps it's usually the activation or upgrade fee - don't tell them to call Care, I will send them back to you to credit it because Care does not.

Call Center Reps - don't promise a credit for valid charges and then transfer to Care to get it applied, won't happen.

For Care Reps - don't promise a credit to get the customer off the phone telling them you have applied it then note the account that you submitted it to a supervisor but that customer would see credit in 72 hours.
serendair

Oct 8, 2010, 3:39 PM
For that third option: If that's in the notes, it's the supervisor who likely told the agent to do so. I've had that happen before. It should be the supervisor and agent's job to make sure that gets done.

*has been screwed in adjustments by supervisors promising, notating and not placing the credit on the account before quite a few times.*
ccareatatt

Oct 8, 2010, 9:14 PM
i refuse to play the he said she said game i just apply the credit, educate then file the feedback form. If there is a note from store rep stating to credit ill honor and if theres a note stating advised of upgrade or activation fee i usually call the customer out politely.
cappy_morgan

Oct 8, 2010, 2:35 PM
Employee Accounts!
No quality. No survey scores. Incompetent.
As soon as they answer the phone they go on the offensive.
But apparently they can read well enough to log in and put snotty notes on my account.๐Ÿ‘ฟ
cappy_morgan

Oct 8, 2010, 2:38 PM
Telling customers to,"Just call customer care when the 1st bill comes in so they can waive the activation fees."
Sigma1570

Oct 8, 2010, 7:22 PM
I work for an at&t agent. I get frustrated when care reps don't listen. The convo usually goes like this.

Care Rep- Hi this is Care Rep are you calling about number 1234567?

Me- Hi! Yes I'm calling about 1234566, my name is sigma and I work for an at&t authorized retailer out of anytown, USA. I have a customer by the name of Jim in my store and we need to have his voicemail reset on his account.

Care Rep- Ok. Can I get your name?

ME- Sigma

Care Rep- Ok, do you work for a COR store?

Me- No I work for an authorized retailer.

Care Rep- Ok(agent code verification process) Can I get the customers name?

Me- Yes, his name is Jim.

Care Rep- Ok, what seems to be the issue today

Me- ๐Ÿ™„ really? If you'd just listen ...
(continues)
slolearner

Oct 9, 2010, 11:40 AM
...get no love. I've picked up the phone numerous times to hear this:

"This is Jane Smith with AT&T Customer Care assisting customer Betty Boop. Is this a Corporate store?"

"No, we're an Authorized Retailer."

"Ok, you have a nice day sir."

"Just out of curiousity, what did the customer need?"

"A SIM card/To have their phone checked for LDI/To reset their phone/To transfer contacts/Ringtone tutorials/etc"

"We do that, free of charge."

I'm a half hour drive from any corporate stores, and I hate the idea that customers drive an hour because ARs get bad raps, and are assumed to be cash-clawing help-nots. Not once has it been something we didn't do.
wizardofCroz

Oct 9, 2010, 3:58 PM
I've been on both sides of the fence. I've worked for an AR and now i'm with corporate, both for AT&T. The reason customer care asks for a cor store is because they can tell us what to do via the account notes. ARs do not necessarily have to obide by customer care because they aren't owned by the company.

Also, if a customer purchased their equipment online or over the phone, they can (unfortunately) swap it out at a cor store.

Some of the big ARs are reliable and trustworthy, others are just greedy "help-nots" that slam accounts, change the primary line so they get more commission on the upgrade, and even send insurance customers to a cor store. I've never once sent a customer to an authorized retailer...ever.
slolearner

Oct 9, 2010, 6:14 PM
I wish you could spend a day in our store, I'm sure I could restore your faith in us! ๐Ÿ˜

Oct 9, 2010, 7:18 PM
I just read all of the comments in this thread and it's sad to hear all of the conflicting situations. you guys are all supposed to be on the same team. Ever since I started reading phone scoop ive been kinda cautious of when I go to the ATT store near my house, and even when I call customer service.

You guys all need to get on the same page so you can let the customer feel more comfortable about their account.

And I definitely am NOT saying this to bash you guys but when a customer hears conflicting information it makes us wary of everyone.

Just my 2 cents...
OrionsVantage

Oct 11, 2010, 8:39 AM
130 the thing is, this happens in every business. its impossible to have everybody on the same page at the same time. Store reps are notorious for being sharks, and there are enough bad apples out there to be wary of buying at a store. I hear horror stories all the time of horrible store reps slamming accounts all the time. Its impossible to weed them all out. Also, reps dont have the same resources as the call center reps nor do they hear as many problems on a daily basis which leads to the assumption that the store reps know less than the call center reps.

Then there are the call center reps who are only taking phone calls to get a paycheck. They're not interested in solving the problem, only getting a resolution and taking the ...
(continues)
80dollarcarcharger

Oct 11, 2010, 11:44 AM
Most of the time, we are talking about a completely different employee base. For example, some of our customer care is outsourced, and none of the outsourced reps are here on phonescoop. I will likely never have anyone on phonescoop answer the phone when i call into care, and vice versa. Yet, everyone wants to complain and bash each other. The guy before you made a valid point. I don't see anything this bad in any other industry.
sprintchickwv

Oct 11, 2010, 3:35 PM
where did you get the idea there are no outsourced reps on phonescoop? I'm third party collections/care and I know for a fact several other regular posters are.
sinister

Oct 11, 2010, 3:38 PM
yup yup..outsourced at&t & desparately prayin for another account in the buildin ๐Ÿ˜ณ
Poking Pixie

Oct 11, 2010, 9:24 PM
FBK got a call at work from Looch one time before Looch got laid off.
ecycled

Oct 12, 2010, 9:22 AM
Poking Pixie said:
FBK got a call at work from Looch one time before Looch got laid off.

How'd they figure that out?

I can't see it going..."This is Looch from carrierX. Thats my phonescoop name. How can I help you?" ๐Ÿ˜›
Poking Pixie

Oct 12, 2010, 3:19 PM
FBK knew Looch from Facebook and the name rang a bell with him when Looch called, so he asked if he did phonescoop and Looch said yes and it went from there.
Candall

Oct 12, 2010, 3:27 PM
That's quite a "small world" moment....

I don't think I'd want any of you guys having access to my account ๐Ÿ˜›
Poking Pixie

Oct 12, 2010, 3:39 PM
No, Looch worked for another dept in AT&T and was calling on behalf of a customer.
Candall

Oct 12, 2010, 3:41 PM
Ah, I see.

Still going with "small world," though.
ecycled

Oct 12, 2010, 9:23 AM
Yup. Multiple teams all doing different things. thats my gripe too.
wizardofCroz

Oct 11, 2010, 9:25 AM
I hear this on a daily basis:

"Customer care said I get a discount with my work. And they told me all I have to do is come in and show my paycheck stub / ID badge and you can apply the discount."

No, I can't apply the discount. No one in a store can apply a discount anymore. I have to fax their pay stub, with a form that can be found online. Guys, if the customer has access to a fax machine, or a work email address, they don't need to come into the store. (this is for ATT btw)
phyxlor

Oct 12, 2010, 5:46 PM
but then what would you do with all your free time??? ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
raven219

Oct 18, 2010, 7:22 PM
๐Ÿคญ I hate it when store reps call the sales department instead of the number their supposed to call. Ruins our numbers and pisses everyone of us off. ๐Ÿคญ So stop it!!!!!!!!! Please. ๐Ÿ™‚

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.