Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 27 replies

Tip for those looking for jobs:

justfinethanku

Jul 29, 2010, 12:27 PM
1. Don't walk into my store with a wrinkled shirt. I won't even interview you or take you seriously.

2. Try smiling. Seriously.

3. Avoid food stains on your clothes and try not to smell like an ashtray. Seriously, I smoke and I can smell that crap from a mile away.

4. DON'T SPEAK IN EBONICS TO ME. You sound like a retard, seriously, you sound like a completely retarded person. I don't care, you are NOT getting the job.

5. Stop complaining about your old job. It's probably your fault you got fired, tell me you are looking for a better opportunity, something, ANYTHING but "I hate that place, I want to work somewhere else." It makes you look incompetent.

6. Are you really going to spend half of the interview asking about vac...
(continues)

Jul 29, 2010, 12:32 PM
I agree with all of those except for #7. What if that person lived around the corner?

Plus, there are hundreds of ppl that take the bus to and from work and do it very effectively for years. I see them everyday at the bus stop....
justfinethanku

Jul 29, 2010, 12:35 PM
In my area nothing is around the corner. And for the industry in general you need to travel for training.

Jul 29, 2010, 12:40 PM
I guess that's fair...
justfinethanku

Jul 29, 2010, 12:43 PM
Its also frustrating for someone to tell me "Hey, I'm waiting for my ride so I'll be 10 minutes late" or "I can't work that shift because I won't have a ride and the bus isn't running at 9pm etc"...

Jul 29, 2010, 1:18 PM
yeah, I get it but I still feel bad for them. I see ppl standing out at the bus stop at 530 on my way to work (im in at 6). It seriously ultimately comes down to that particular person. if they take their job seriously, then they'll be there.

Maybe that person is looking to get a job so they can buy a car? Who knows...
newral

Jul 29, 2010, 6:09 PM
exactly.. i used to lie on interviews when i didnt have a car.. thanks to that lie, i found a job and i bought my crappy transportation car.. but hey.. i have one.. 😁
sinister

Jul 31, 2010, 2:17 PM
wrong...i lived 6 miles from where i worked one way & i ran to work everyday AND made it on time AND never missed a day!!

try again..
justfinethanku

Jul 31, 2010, 2:29 PM
would you consider yourself an average person, or someone considerably dedicated?
sinister

Jul 31, 2010, 4:37 PM
i would say a lil of both, im considerably dedicated to bein average 🤣
sinister

Jul 31, 2010, 2:19 PM
oh yeah..trainin..id run there too lol unless it's marathon distance ugh...too much runnin 🤣
OrionsVantage

Jul 29, 2010, 1:30 PM
Oh, i've got a huge list o these too.

1.) One minute late to the interview and you might as well not even show up. I will not hire you and i probably wont even interview you.

2.) Basic math skills. If you can't tell me what 10% of 100 is, you're not hired.

3.) Refusal to shake hands. If you wont shake a hand, you won't work for me.

4.) Personal instability. If you tell me a sob story about how you have 3 kids and are struggling about getting child support from deadbeat daddy/mommy while juggling the problems of an alcoholic relative all while trying not to get evicted, you will not be hired. I feel sorry for people that have to go through life like this, i really do. But i will not waste my time trying to keep covering...
(continues)
Magnificent1

Jul 29, 2010, 3:40 PM
Thats F'd up for someone to not be hired for not a car... Good thing I have a car.... 😛
sprintchickwv

Jul 29, 2010, 3:41 PM
What if I have a chaffeur? 😛
ubngaw

Jul 29, 2010, 3:54 PM
how about a chopper? 😁
justfinethanku

Jul 29, 2010, 4:01 PM
I can understand someone not having a car, and I certainly don't look down on anyone for not having a car. But in my area you absolutely need one in order to show up to work on time.

Especially since you have to work in other locations when you are needed. No car = no job.
CallCenterBlues

Jul 30, 2010, 9:21 AM
I currently don't have a car and haven't since I've worked here (been here 4 and a half years). I can honestly say I have never been late or missed work at all due to transportation. If you chose not to hire me because of not having a car than it would be your loss cuz I'm a great employee. Just sayin'.
serendair

Jul 30, 2010, 1:16 PM
There's also a magical impliment of transporation called a "bike". Those things are mighty handy if you live in certain states... or just live in a place where public transport just isn't good enough.

...then again, I suspect most are too lazy to bike to work for something as "simple" as a job.
ochne

Jul 29, 2010, 5:49 PM
justfinethanku said:
1. Don't walk into my store with a wrinkled shirt. I won't even interview you or take you seriously.

Or wearing a T-shirt to a formal site, etc. (inappropriate is worse that wrinkled IMO)

2. State "Because I have more life experience that most people I should be paid (insert multiplier greater that 2) times entry level" when you have NO WORK EXPERIENCE.

3. Tell the employer that you will not do specific tasks (especially when you've already been told it's part of the job) without additional pay for the aggravation.

4. Job hopping (less than 2 years at any job for a long period of time)
ATTDRONEV2.5

Jul 29, 2010, 6:00 PM
Don't describe to the interviewer in detail about the time you were abducted by aliens
justfinethanku

Jul 31, 2010, 2:30 PM
😳
The 1

Jul 29, 2010, 6:17 PM
It is illegal for you to ask in an interview if someone owns or has a car.
ochne

Jul 29, 2010, 8:17 PM
only illegal if it is not a BFOQ
The 1

Jul 30, 2010, 12:05 PM
Touche!!
justfinethanku

Jul 31, 2010, 2:32 PM
It's illegal to ask someone in an interview if they are able to perform the job asked of them including traveling up to 45 miles to and from their place of work?

I'll call BS on that one! lol
RavenSkyhawk

Jul 29, 2010, 7:01 PM
"Yeah I was in the military"

"May I see your DD214?"

"It's in the mail, I can bring it in as soon as you hire me"

How about no, your probably a deserter or never were in.

Had 3 people in the last 6 months say this at my site that I know of. All my management ask me to look over the documents to check "authenticity". More like their too lazy to look it up themselves.
PhoneyName

Jul 31, 2010, 2:02 PM
8. Do NOT be rude or condescending to my employees while you're waiting to meet with me. If you dislike them that much at first sight, you really don't need to work with them.

Seriously, it's surprising how many people break that rule...
justfinethanku

Jul 31, 2010, 2:33 PM
haha, no kidding!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.