Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 10 replies

What should I do?

charliegirl

Jul 20, 2010, 12:23 PM
I have been working for my employer for 8 years now. I have complete job security. But over the course of the past year they have cut my hours so much that I am making $10k less and our benefits keep going up so I am now paying $5k a year for basic health care(no vision or dental). I have an opportunity to go to a job that will pay at least $7k more and the benefits are 150% better and only cost $600 a year. They would also give me $100 a month towards my cell phone bill as well as free Internet. The down side is my commute would be a lot more and I don't have the job security. The job would be basically what I am doing now too and it's still in the wireless industry so I know a lot of the contacts already. Do you think I should risk ...
(continues)

Jul 20, 2010, 12:29 PM
Do you know exactly how they are 'going to make it up for you'?
charliegirl

Jul 20, 2010, 12:31 PM
no not at all. I said to my supervisor that if it is less then the $10k they have taken from me then it's not even worth discussing it. He just asked me to hold out. My review is supposed to be at the end of this week or beginning of next but I might have the interview for the new job on Frida.

Jul 20, 2010, 12:37 PM
You should probably go to the interview and see how that goes. That way you can also scope out the new potential work place, co-workers and bosses.

This way you can also not lose out on the new job opportunity and see what the 'making up' would be. If it's not what you want then you have the other one, if they give you what you want then you can politely turn down the other company.

Doing the interview for the other place is perfectly fine, and it's never a good idea to leave your current job without actually having the other one. It doesnt sound like the new job is locked in, just a possibility.
charliegirl

Jul 20, 2010, 12:46 PM
Well the new job is sort of locked in. I just have to go through the formals of an interview. My boyfriend is best friends w/ the GM at the new company and he basically begged me to come work for them.

Unfortunately where I would interview isn't where the office will be. The office is still being set up at this time.
ecycled

Jul 20, 2010, 12:54 PM
You have it, your current employer doesn't.

Move on. The future is never certain but with costs rising and pay falling, its a perfect storm for great employees to do something else.

Jul 20, 2010, 1:16 PM
Yeah, I agree. Specially cause the money is more, plus all the added benefits. Specially the health care, there's a $4400 difference there. Also, you get a chance to be in a new atmosphere, make new friends and just do something different.
charliegirl

Jul 20, 2010, 2:28 PM
yeah the pay isn't what I was up to but in the end I will be taking home more b/c the benefits are cheaper. Plus there is a small chance that I will get commuters expenses too.
Ask The Shack

Jul 21, 2010, 8:24 AM
+1 Everyone thinks they have job security untill they get fired.

Unless you live ina "right to work state", they could come up to you and fire you for any reason, or no reason.

Trust me when I say, they don't care about you. Bail out man. If the numbers work out for you, do it.

Plus, if you get fired from the other job, Obama just extended unemployment benifits, so you're set either way! 😁
Poking Pixie

Jul 20, 2010, 4:40 PM
Go for it girl. If you're practically assured a job with this new company, it's time to move on. I personally never trust an employer when they say they're going to make it up to you. They know they've got you over a barrel, if you let them do this to you for this long, you'll keep taking the abuse. Get out while you still can. 😁
wyckdkitty

Jul 22, 2010, 11:41 AM
I'd take the new job... last time I was asked to hold out until they "made it up" to me, my pay was cut down an additional $3500 a year and then they "downsized" me right out of a job. By hanging out waiting for them to make it up to "such a wonderful and loyal employee" I lost out on a job that paid $10k a year more.

Loyal employees are great, but how many employers are truely loyal??

Do what is best for you. 🙂

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.