Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 80 replies

This is a joke...right?

wizardofCroz

Jan 11, 2010, 1:47 PM
Last Saturday I had some customers come up ("Patels" as their often deemed) about 30 minutes before closing. The husband has our service, the wife doesn't. She wants to activate service on her husbands acct and get an iphone for him, but keep her unlocked whatever phone. OK fine. We had to put them on separate accts because their numbers are out of different markets, OK FINE. She explains that she hardly uses her phone and that most of the calling will be to her husband so she wants the least amount of minutes.

I tell her that the 450 includes m2m, rollover, and VIRTUALLY UNLIMITED N&W...

She returns...

C: You told me i get unlimited N&W!!! I call and they say only 5000!!

M: ๐Ÿคจ Are you really going to be using 5000 night and ...
(continues)
BoredatSprint

Jan 11, 2010, 2:01 PM
So she needs 83+ hours on top of her regular minutes? Maybe he's got her making a little extra money on the side with night operator services. ๐Ÿ˜›
meeshxsmith

Jan 11, 2010, 2:07 PM
that must be it. ๐Ÿคฃ
pizzas not for breakfast

Jan 11, 2010, 2:22 PM
maybe shes like those people who go over their minutes and are like, "i NEVER use my phone that much" Checking last months bill, Anytime minutes used 4502, N&W minutes used 3560.
wizardofCroz

Jan 11, 2010, 2:34 PM
That still would not give her a reason to complain because she still had 1440 N&W!!!
jvp3

Jan 11, 2010, 2:20 PM
You shouldn't have used the term "VIRTUALLY" unlimited. People don't hear "virtually." They hear "unlimited." You should know that people hear what they want to hear, not the truth.

Don't make that mistake again. If it's 5000 minutes, say 5000 minutes. Not "virtually unlimited."

You got pwned, pal.
pizzas not for breakfast

Jan 11, 2010, 2:22 PM
Ohhhh snap.
BoredatSprint

Jan 11, 2010, 2:25 PM
I can agree with that to an extent. I think that if someone said 'virtually' in any statement when selling me something, I'd identify that as a ploy.

If they truly were 'Patels' then the language barrier probably prevented them from understanding your sales tactic.

Mighta set yourself up for that one.
wizardofCroz

Jan 11, 2010, 2:33 PM
I could completely understand if she came back next month with overage charges by using up all 5000 N&W minutes.

I really hate to do this, but you've left me no choice...

When those car companies came out with "Free gas for a year", are you able to just buy gas whenever and where ever you please? No. There are restrictions. So when I say something is virtually unlimited, knowing that you barely use the phone, there should be no issue. PERIOD
famoussasjohn

Jan 11, 2010, 3:37 PM
No, you should have told them they are getting 5000 N&W minutes, not "Virtually" unlimited, that was just plain stupid. how is it unlimited if there is a limit?

poor analogy as well, as in the fine print, it states how much free gasoline you can receive up to, because no where else does it say "Virtually" unlimited and with a little asterisk saying "*5000 minutes" which you should always read, instead of telling them its unlimited, maybe tell them the truth and build a better customer experience for them?

also, maybe they working for a business and she takes a lot of phone calls between those hours, and depends on having unlimited minutes.

it's a low blow to the customer when you are misinforming them and trying to make a sale.
wizardofCroz

Jan 11, 2010, 3:55 PM
SHE WANTED THE PLAN WITH THE LEAST AMOUNT OF MINUTES!!!

I laugh everytime some retail fan boy responds with things like this. OK, maybe I was incorrect by not informing the customer about their 5000 minutes to be used between the hours of 9p-6a, and on weekends, but still, it's virtually unlimited.

As I've said before, if she walked up with a bill in her hand and used more than 5000 n&w minutes, I would credit her bill for all the overage. If anyone can use 85 hours of off peak minutes, they do not need to be on the "plan with the least amount of minutes".

"build a better experience for them"..? Give me a break...
famoussasjohn

Jan 11, 2010, 4:14 PM
not a retail fan boy, but you are an idiot for lying to them. why lie to a customer that just began service with you? it's not virtually unlimited if there is a limit. That's like telling people with broadband cards and saying the 5GB limit is virtually unlimited. ๐Ÿ™„

theres always a possibility of going over the N&W. You don't know how they use their phone because instead of asking questions about how they use their phone, you say its "virtually" unlimited. which is probably in most peoples opinion, stupid.
wizardofCroz

Jan 11, 2010, 4:29 PM
Webster defines the word "virtually" as, slightly short of; or not quite accomplished.

So 5000 n&w minutes is NOT unlimited, but close enough, ESPECIALLY WHEN SOMEONE WANTS THE LEAST AMOUNT OF MINUTES.

I never lied to the customer

If someone came looking for an aircard, and said they will barely use it, and when they do use it, it will only be for web surfing and email, it's virtually unlimited. Most people have no idea what 5GB or 5000 minutes will equate to, so I use the term "virtually unlimited".

Yeah every person that walks up and has a question, the only response i give is.. "virtually unlimited"

"hi can i pay my bill?"

" ๐Ÿ˜ณ Virtually unlimited"

"When is my contract up?"

" ๐Ÿ˜ณ Virtuall...
(continues)
BoredatSprint

Jan 11, 2010, 4:32 PM
Ever hear that saying, 'The constant assertion of belief is an indication of fear?'...seems fitting.

๐Ÿ˜
wizardofCroz

Jan 11, 2010, 4:35 PM
๐Ÿ‘€
MrGoofball

Jan 11, 2010, 5:33 PM
If you're to stupid to say 5000 n&w minutes instead you got to get technical bull crap piled up by using some crap like "virtually unlimited" instead of just saying the truth and then the customer comes back because she feels you lied to her (which you did). Why does it matter that she wanted the lowest plan. You said unlimited it wasn't unlimited you lied to her she returned it on principal. I would to. Honesty and straight foward speaking does wonders.
wizardofCroz

Jan 11, 2010, 5:43 PM
If you're to stupid to say 5000 n&w minutes instead you got to get technical bull crap piled up by using some crap like "virtually unlimited" instead of just saying the truth and then the customer comes back because she feels you lied to her (which you did).

I never lied to her.

Why does it matter that she wanted the lowest plan.

I'm guessing this is a question, even though there isn't a question MARK. It matters because she doesn't talk very often, and when she does, it's to her husband who is also on the network.

You said unlimited it wasn't unlimited you lied to her she returned it on principal.

1. I didn't say it was unlimited. I said virtually un...
(continues)
looch_himself

Jan 11, 2010, 7:26 PM
Ok, so maybe you didn't lie. You did, however, intentionally mislead. VIRTUALLY UNLIMITED can have a lot of meanings, and you should have done your job and told her there was, in fact, a LIMIT to her nights and weekend minutes. I could say her plan came with VIRTUALLY UNLIMITED anytime minutes, because she barely uses the phone, so it's unlikely she'll reach 450 minutes. Am I right?
wizardofCroz

Jan 11, 2010, 8:03 PM
No, you aren't correct and no, I wasn't misleading, and I'll explain why:

MOST of our plans come with unlimited n&w. Just so happens that this one does not, it comes with 5000.

Now, (still following?) if during our conversation she stated "Well I don't talk on the phone very often during the day, but I'll be doing most of my talking at night, so I need unlimited n&w.".. AND THEN I tell her that it's virtually unlimited, THEN gripe all you want.

She clearly stated that most of, if not all, her talking would be to her husband, on our network.

I agree I didn't tell her verbatum the entire history of our company, but I set the proper expectation based on the customer's needs. If that doesn't sit well with you, then too bad, I do m...
(continues)
looch_himself

Jan 11, 2010, 8:12 PM
The problem is, it's my job to fix mistakes made by agents like you, who, no matter HOW MUCH you try and defend your actions, failed to do their job. If I were a QA rep, and you worked in my center, I would score this as a "fail". Not because I disagree with your actions, but because YOU FAILED TO SET ALL EXPECTATIONS. She was NOT an AT&T customer, how was she supposed to know what limits came with her plan? Oh, right, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO TELL HER.

Do you follow that?
hereticcavi

Jan 12, 2010, 2:06 PM
so ATT doesnt have unlimited NW and NW starts at 9pm and ends at 6am.... I have no idea why its so busy in an ATT store... But it is. I say virtually all the time, its not a lie. He's right, and all you Uppity "Forum" members, really? When they say I dont use X much, i put them on the plan needed. I would have done the same thing. If she returns it, she 1 out of 50. I like those chances. its not fake its real life scenarios and each needs a different use! If youve never done it your lying
looch_himself

Jan 12, 2010, 3:29 PM
What part of "Setting Expectations is part of your job" don't you understand? If there is a limit, ANY LIMIT AT ALL, it is your job to inform the customer, in no uncertain terms, what those limits are. Please, GTFO of my industry, we don't need people like you making the rest of us, the ones who CARE, look bad.

Dolt.
wizardofCroz

Jan 13, 2010, 4:28 PM
ATT has unlimited N&W on every plan except the 450 (which has 5000 n&w) and the senior plan (which has 500).

Most of these "Uppities" are call center fan boys/ girls who have nothing better to do with their time than argue with an in store rep. Most of them have no idea what it's like to actually talk to a customer face to face.

The next time I visit Dave and Busters, I'm going to complain because virtual reality isn't reality. I thought I was paying .50 to actually fly a helicopter.

Yeah if she returns it, she's more work than what it's worth anyway.
looch_himself

Jan 13, 2010, 7:51 PM
You say we're fan boys/girls, I say we're just tired of fixing the mistakes or overlookings of slackers like you.

BTW, your video game example MIGHT have some validity if the description of the price plan actually said VIRTUALLY UNLIMITED Nights & Weekends, but it doesn't.
sistercell

Jan 11, 2010, 6:06 PM
seriously? nights only from 9pm -6am? who is up at that time unless you are 3rd shift or out all night?
Mine are 7-7 so i can actually use them in real life
Coil

Jan 12, 2010, 6:51 PM
sistercell said:
seriously? nights only from 9pm -6am? who is up at that time unless you are 3rd shift or out all night?
Mine are 7-7 so i can actually use them in real life

Wow those 2 hours really make a difference between being up all night and um... using the internet to make retarded sales pitches.
Coil

Jan 12, 2010, 6:48 PM
CELL PHONE =/ CAR

END OF STORY NOT THE SAME

cars cost thousands of times more stop comparing cell phones to cars or mortgages i can't stand it aaaaah
wizardofCroz

Jan 11, 2010, 2:25 PM
Not really. I couldn't care less if they cancel or keep the service. Some people are more trouble than they're worth. I think it's a pretty low blow to cancel because of 5000 minutes that she will not even come close to using.

The thing is... IT'S VIRTUALLY UNLIMITED. And to be honest, if they talk for more than 5000 minutes during the hours of 9p-6a and on weekends, they might want to think about sleeping once in a while.
jvp3

Jan 11, 2010, 5:06 PM
Ultimately it comes down to the principle of the thing.

You're either an honest, upright, direct, and straightforward salesperson.... or you're a sneaky, conniving, say-anything-to-get-a-sale salesperson who doesn't give a damn about the people who put money in your pocket.

If you don't care about your employer's customers, then trust me, neither does your employer when it comes to your need to put food on the table.

If that's the case, you might as well be a drug dealer. Profit margin's higher.
wizardofCroz

Jan 11, 2010, 5:25 PM
It also comes down to the fact that some people will b*tch about anything when they get a chance. The "make or break" of the sale was not whether her plan included unlimited n&w.

There's so much information that I could give to a customer about our service. Do you think I'm expected to spend 30 minutes explaining the reason why rollover minutes expire? No, because it's not a big deal.

Like I've said before, this whole situation is about people trying to get something for nothing. This industry has eaten itself alive due to the fact that people think if they whine and cry enough, they can get anything.

Go ahead and call me conniving, I couldn't care less, just like I don't care about my employer's customers.
Owenu

Jan 11, 2010, 5:32 PM
๐Ÿ˜ณ
MistaDuMa

Jan 11, 2010, 5:35 PM
I don't care about the customers THAT much either BUT I hate having to do work that I don't need to. Wouldn't it have been easier to just say that it was 5000 N/W as opposed to processing the return and canceling the line?

Don't ever forget that as a service/retail commissioned job, those people you don't care about contribute to a good chunk of your pay
wizardofCroz

Jan 11, 2010, 5:46 PM
Yes, you're absolutely correct. If I were given the chance again, I would say 5000 freakin N&W, which I normally do anyway. I didn't realize it was going to be such a big deal and all these idiots on PS bashing me because I'm conniving and "lied to the customer".

She didn't cancel the line.
looch_himself

Jan 11, 2010, 7:38 PM
We're idiots because we called you out on intentionally misleading your customer? Bull. You're the idiot looking for sympathy on the internet. I like how it took you 4 hours to say "I normally do anyway". If that were the case, why didn't you do it this time? Simple; you thought you saw a customer that you could take advantage of, a "patel" as you so politely put it, and you went for it. If you don't care about your job, then quit. There's a hundred other people who will do their job and do it right. Maybe they'll hire a "patel" to replace you.
wizardofCroz

Jan 11, 2010, 7:54 PM
No, you're an idiot for taking 4 hours to respond.

As I've stated before, if I knew it would come to that, I would have told her about the thousands of minutes she will never use.

I'm not asking sympathy from anyone.

I didn't take advantage of anyone.

I never said "I don't care about my job."

Maybe they'll hire a plumber to get your head out of your @$$
looch_himself

Jan 11, 2010, 8:13 PM
wizardofCroz said:
No, you're an idiot for taking 4 hours to respond.

As I've stated before, if I knew it would come to that, I would have told her about the thousands of minutes she will never use.

I'm not asking sympathy from anyone.

https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »
Yes you are

I didn't take advantage of anyone.

I never said "I don't care about my job."

https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »
Yes you did.

Maybe they'll hire a plumber to get your head out of your @$$

Nah, my head's just fine. Maybe you need help removing your foot from your mouth?
wizardofCroz

Jan 11, 2010, 8:25 PM
Where was I asking sympathy? I was merely sharing a retail experience with people on this site.

Please copy and paste my sentence that said, "I don't care about my job". I said I didn't care if they canceled. Completely different subject.

Nah, my foot's just fine
looch_himself

Jan 11, 2010, 8:54 PM
Ok, here you go.

Go ahead and call me conniving, I couldn't care less, just like I don't care about my employer's customers.

Your customers ARE your job. Don't care about them? Move along to a different industry.
jvp3

Jan 11, 2010, 10:58 PM
looch_himself said:
Ok, here you go.

Your customers ARE your job. Don't care about them? Move along to a different industry.

Exactly. One of those customer-less industries, like....uhm.... like...uhhhhh..... well, like..... uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

OK, what's an industry that has no customers, where nothing is either bought or sold?
looch_himself

Jan 11, 2010, 11:10 PM
That was kinda my point ๐Ÿ™‚

Maybe he could work in IT, where your job is to just go fix stuff, your boss does all the talking.
jvp3

Jan 11, 2010, 11:50 PM
looch_himself said:
That was kinda my point ๐Ÿ™‚

Maybe he could work in IT, where your job is to just go fix stuff, your boss does all the talking.

Yeah, but even in IT, whoever you provide service for is your "customer," even if they're just fellow employees of different departments.

Extrapolated, though, no matter what type of company he'd be in IT for, it has customers, too.

It's just been my experience in life and in business that if you don't care about the customer, you're in business for the wrong reasons. The purpose of being in business is to make money. That comes first and foremost. Now how you do that will vary, of course, and may, depending on the industry and the business, entail actuall...
(continues)
looch_himself

Jan 12, 2010, 3:26 PM
EXACTLY!! And I'd never refer to any of my customers, even when not around them, as "Patels". Ugh.
jvp3

Jan 11, 2010, 10:56 PM
looch_himself said:
We're idiots because we called you out on intentionally misleading your customer? Bull. You're the idiot looking for sympathy on the internet. I like how it took you 4 hours to say "I normally do anyway". If that were the case, why didn't you do it this time? Simple; you thought you saw a customer that you could take advantage of, a "patel" as you so politely put it, and you went for it. If you don't care about your job, then quit. There's a hundred other people who will do their job and do it right. Maybe they'll hire a "patel" to replace you.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZING!!!!

Good one, looch!
looch_himself

Jan 11, 2010, 11:11 PM
Hey, remember when we were arguing about stupid stuff?

I like this better. ๐Ÿ˜
wizardofCroz

Jan 11, 2010, 4:20 PM
I provided an extraordinary experience during my first sale.

As the customer walked in, I politely greeted them with my name and a handshake. After our name exchange I asked them what brings them in today? They said their contract was almost up and they would like to take a look at some of the new phones we have!!

Well that's just fantastic, I said. Let me build some value and find out exactly what your needs are so that I can get you in the right device!! They were ecstatic!! So after asking some qualifying questions and gaining their trust, I recommended two brand new smart phones with some accessories to go with it!!

They were a little hesitant about the data plan, but I assured them that it would be well worth it, AND EVEN OFFE...
(continues)
meeshxsmith

Jan 11, 2010, 5:36 PM
poor Croz ๐Ÿ˜ข

What carrier do you work with?
wizardofCroz

Jan 11, 2010, 5:43 PM
AT&T ๐Ÿ˜
meeshxsmith

Jan 11, 2010, 5:44 PM
I have AT&T ๐Ÿ˜ I'm thinking of calling and bothering a service rep
wizardofCroz

Jan 11, 2010, 5:47 PM
Don't call me, I'm conniving and I'll lie to you... ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
meeshxsmith

Jan 11, 2010, 5:48 PM
I don't think you were lying. I think the customer just misunderstood you.
wizardofCroz

๐Ÿ˜ Gracias
meeshxsmith

Jan 11, 2010, 5:58 PM
Customers tend to have selective hearing.
BoredatSprint

This entire thread was a warning to all.
looch_himself

Jan 11, 2010, 7:42 PM
I wonder if you also told them they had VIRTUALLY UNLIMITED battery life on their new phones, too? I mean, nobody actually uses their phone for 4 straight hours, right?
wizardofCroz

Jan 11, 2010, 7:49 PM
๐Ÿคจ .... Good one
looch_himself

Jan 11, 2010, 7:52 PM
I know, I thought so, too. I have VIRTUALLY UNLIMITED jokes today.
Owenu

Jan 11, 2010, 8:06 PM
๐Ÿคฃ
jvp3

Jan 11, 2010, 11:00 PM
๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ
MistaDuMa

Jan 11, 2010, 5:20 PM
I would still have told her 5000 minutes but then break it down so she understands that's more then she needs.

"You get 5000 N/W minutes. That's probably more then you need, that's about 83 hours of talking!"

Customers will always hear what they want to hear, no matter what else is in the same line. Whatever works best in their favor.

I will try = I promise
Virtually unlimited = 100% unlimited

I'm sure she would have never needed it all but you should still disclose it to her. I'm sure she would have still purchased the phone if it was 5000 minutes. I think she was more butt hurt about not getting being filled in all the way then the unlimited N/W.

Also, never assume anything about the customer. I've had people that look lik...
(continues)
qualityrocker

Jan 12, 2010, 2:45 PM
I love the Patels!!! ๐Ÿ‘ฟ
Owenu

Jan 12, 2010, 3:29 PM
who are you refering to as "Patels." Is this a racial slur? ๐Ÿคจ
BoredatSprint

Jan 12, 2010, 3:34 PM
Are you new?
Owenu

Jan 12, 2010, 4:59 PM
Not new, I just don't stay up to date on certain terms. ๐Ÿคญ Can you answer this?
BoredatSprint

Jan 12, 2010, 5:21 PM
Indians basically, or people with Indian accents. Common last name is Patel, and they never really understand what you're trying to explain to them because of the language barrier.

You could basically tell this group of people that you were going to leave a live hand grenade behind the rear tire of their car and they would just smile and pretend to get it.
Owenu

Jan 12, 2010, 7:15 PM
๐Ÿ˜ฒ Thought it might be refering to Mexican immigrants. ๐Ÿคญ
jvp3

Jan 12, 2010, 11:01 PM
BoredatSprint said:
Indians basically, or people with Indian accents. Common last name is Patel, and they never really understand what you're trying to explain to them because of the language barrier.

Actually, given that India (and what is now Pakistan) used to be ruled by the British, the English language is actually pretty common amongst most educated people from there. Only people from the poorer classes are unlikely to have much ability with English. This is not to say, of course, that English pronunciation, as well as grammar and terminology, is the same as it is in the US, but then again, it isn't the same in the US as it is in the UK, either. And of course, some people simply have better bilingual...
(continues)
BoredatSprint

Jan 13, 2010, 11:42 AM
Ha. Indicted on PS. Once again.

Whatever shall I do?

๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
pizzas not for breakfast

Jan 13, 2010, 11:47 AM
Great job el blanco nino, to bad your a ๐Ÿ˜ฒ got sacccccccccccck.
Owenu

Jan 13, 2010, 12:35 PM
the noun is suppose to come before the adjective in Spanish......el nino blanco.
pizzas not for breakfast

Jan 13, 2010, 12:53 PM
That would be correct, had that not been a direct quote.

I guess i should have phrased it in quotations, my apologies.

"Great job el blanco nino, to bad your a ๐Ÿ˜ฒ got sacccccccccked."
Owenu

Jan 13, 2010, 1:30 PM
Thank you for correcting that, it was really bothering me. *sarcasm* ๐Ÿ™‚
BoredatSprint

Jan 13, 2010, 3:47 PM
...without you punks bickering about who spelled what wrong, or grammar, this grammar that.
pizzas not for breakfast

Jan 13, 2010, 3:50 PM
agreed.
Owenu

Jan 13, 2010, 5:32 PM
If there was an emoticon that flipped the bird, I'd use it right now. Guess I'll settle for this. ๐Ÿ˜›
BoredatSprint

Jan 13, 2010, 5:46 PM
Lacks emphasis.
pizzas not for breakfast

Jan 13, 2010, 5:48 PM
i think it still conveys the message though.
Owenu

Jan 13, 2010, 5:54 PM
๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ
Sign_by_the_x

Jan 13, 2010, 7:59 PM
I would say they normally understand because they are always trying to haggle or bargain like its the freakin flea market! ๐Ÿคฃ
jvp3

Jan 12, 2010, 10:51 PM
Owenu said:
who are you refering to as "Patels." Is this a racial slur? ๐Ÿคจ

You have to ask?

I don't think it's so much INTENDED as a slur (and I guess there could be some room for argument as to whether or not the slur is racial or ethnic, or both), rather than a sort of catch-all generalized term for a South Asian family (sorta like how "the Joneses" might refer to an average American family), but perhaps I'm being generous in that suggestion.

It certainly does come across as a derogatory term. One can almost hear the sneering tone behind it.
Coil

Jan 12, 2010, 6:36 PM
wizardofCroz said:
Last Saturday I had some customers come up ("Patels" as their often deemed)

Yeah... nuff said.
Coil

Jan 12, 2010, 7:02 PM
๐Ÿ˜ˆ

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.