Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 13 replies

Rules of sales. Input Please

gannon

Dec 11, 2009, 5:42 PM
I work with a bunch of new sales reps that are not aggressive in their job and the take exception to the fact that i may be overly aggressive they believe we should take turns which i agree but when i jump in front of them because they are talking to each other they get mad and say i am not fair that its their sales and should give them to them. keep in mind they are new and Ive been doing this for sometime. all replies are welcomed
SprintCC

Dec 11, 2009, 6:00 PM
I'd give them an opportunity to end the conversation and help the customer. But, that opportunity would be pretty short. After 5-10 seconds, the customer is fair game in my opinion. But then, I haven't done retails sales in a LONG time so the rules may have changed.
edzero

Dec 11, 2009, 6:01 PM
I think that the new people should be paying attention when it is their turn, but I also think as a more experienced salesperson who should be able to sell to whomever walks through the door you should allow the new people an opportunity to actually sell. For instance say "hey (insert name here), your up" If they hear you and still would rather continue the conversation...then F 'em.
wizardofCroz

Dec 11, 2009, 6:10 PM
I know what you're talking about. When I worked in a store (i'm in a kiosk now) we would take turns and of course if someone wasn't busy and everyone else was, that person was next in line. Depending on how many reps are in your store, and how much traffic you get on a daily basis should determine how strict you are to "taking turns". If you work in a slow store you should take turns because the pickins are slim. If it's a busy store that gets out of control and a wait list, then well, i guess you wouldn't be in this position.
dopeygirl

Dec 11, 2009, 8:10 PM
When I was sales manager in a store, I attempted to take the newbies under my wing and show them around. Normally allowed them to tail me for a day or two and then tailed them. When I saw them standing around chatting I would normally quiz them (yeah, I'm THAT girl) making sure they knew their stuff for when a customer did come in. After a week or so when I saw a customer walk in I would wait a few seconds, attempt to make eye contact with the newby. If they ignored the customer it was my sale. When they complained I explained that they had the opportunity and their paychecks were gonna suffer til they sucked it up.
GraGG

Dec 11, 2009, 10:45 PM
but dammnit if im the only one actin hungry ๐Ÿ˜‰
RavenSkyhawk

Dec 15, 2009, 11:56 AM
As a consumer of store purchases, but not in the sales side of the house, I will usually tell the first person approaching that I'm just looking. I then try to pick out the most expierenced, knowledgable person there and begin asking my questions/making purchases. From expierence I've seen reps ask another person to log in to give them the credit for the sale, but that's on the rep not on my choosing.
Coil

Dec 15, 2009, 12:16 PM
RavenSkyhawk said:
I then try to pick out the most expierenced, knowledgable person there and begin asking my questions/making purchases. From expierence

What experience? How the **** do you know who is more experienced you just randomly walked into a new location? When you say 'just looking' I counter that with a host of questions I don't care if you get pissed and leave.
RavenSkyhawk

Dec 15, 2009, 12:36 PM
Who said it was a new location ๐Ÿคจ ? I shop at the same stores that I usually shop at. I know from expierence working with them before who knows thier stuff and who doesn't ๐Ÿ˜ . If it's someone I don't recognize then I wait for someone I do. If the new guy shows he's he knows the policies then I will deal with him ๐Ÿ˜‰ . And the badgering someone with questions just gets you ignored in my opinion ๐Ÿ˜ข . If a customer refuses to work with you maybe you should back off ๐Ÿ˜ฒ . Your not going to get sales all in thier face ๐Ÿ˜ก .
springsthathing

Dec 15, 2009, 12:52 PM
Ok...ok...First off, what kind of people are we hiring? 6 years in the business and I still make sure that one question I ask and explain over and over again is that they are in a sales job. If the rookie feels like he or she has enough slack to feel comfortable complaining about a superior being more aggressive, then I'm sorry, you hired the wrong person. My new guys greet every customer that walks in the door no matter who they are helping and where they are at in the store within 5 seconds. If they are not helping anyone, they greet them AT THE DOOR. They also know that from the start of their first day, that taking turns is a courtesy, not a law. The person ready always has presedence over the 'next turn.' Go to the bathroom, sorr...
(continues)
Coil

Dec 15, 2009, 1:30 PM
word b
Chromemember

Dec 15, 2009, 12:09 PM
If they won't end their conversation as soon as a customer walks in the store that's their choice. All of my conversations are cut mid sentence when a customer walks through the door.
Coil

Dec 15, 2009, 12:12 PM
Your story sounds fishy. You claim they say you 'jump infront of them' and at the same time you're saying they 'talk to each other'. At no point do you talk about them approaching customers... it's almost like you're leaving it out in an attempt to gain recognition and approval of your sneaky tactics.
juice007

Dec 15, 2009, 12:36 PM
Hey its a dog eat dog world. If they want to talk let them talk but as far as giving up sales and all that... forget it..

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.