Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 9 replies

Elderly caller

sidbisyo

Nov 14, 2009, 2:10 PM
just got this call when we had a monstrous ammount of calls on queue.

Me=me

Ec=elderly caller

Me: thanks for calling spring how can i help you?

Ec: yeah, quick question. how come i've got to include the area code when i call a number. this just started yesterday.

me: (confused) are you asking me why you have to dial an area code to call out on your phone?

Ec: yeah, never did it before.

(mind you he's acct was legacy acct. this guy has been with sprint for god knows how long)

me: im sorry sir but as long as i remember, area codes are a requirement whenever you call out using your cell phone.

Ec: well never did it before and only was asked to do it yesterday.

me: (after about a 3 second pause) I'm sorry if you fe...
(continues)
ecycled

Nov 14, 2009, 2:22 PM
LOL

"Well thanks for letting us know then, have a great day."

I think its funny, and not too terrible. Great call.
simmeon

Nov 14, 2009, 5:33 PM
Ah yes. I have been getting that all day. New requirement in Connecticut. Two new area codes coming. Ct is getting big time
Menno

Nov 15, 2009, 2:49 PM
you should see it when they move, and then complain that none of their speed dials work (no area code)

area code requirements vary by region. I still think it's funny when I give the phone to a customer and they tell the customer service rep (who is in another state) that their phone number is 555-5655, and then get annoyed when they have to give the area code.
sidbisyo

Nov 15, 2009, 3:15 PM
I seriously never knew that. thank you for the enlightenment.

now i feel silly for putting the above post. 🤭
matonater

Nov 15, 2009, 3:16 PM
also if someone travels to a different area code they will then need to enter it
chapster

Nov 18, 2009, 7:33 PM
I can call anyone with the same area code with out dialing the area code... but if i am calling another one, I have to dial the area code. Doesnt matter what area I'm in. But I'm in Texas. I'm within a rock's throw from 6 different area codes. 😳
meeshxsmith

Nov 15, 2009, 6:54 PM
A lot of time when I ask for a caller's area code they give me a five digit number and I'm like ?
Researcher

Nov 18, 2009, 6:59 PM
I did not believe it the first or even the second time. I had a old custy who wanted to know if he could get a cell phone with a rotary dial!

😲
mrpmpfan

Nov 19, 2009, 6:47 AM
In all honesty an area code is not always needed locally to make a call. However in some areas it is, take Salt Lake City Utah they are required even on local calls to dial an area code.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.