Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 32 replies

No, you don't get a free battery for being out of contract for two years.

Menno

Sep 11, 2009, 12:53 PM
I recently opened a new store, and so far the customer's have been relatively nice/understanding. I knew it was only a matter of time..

Customer: I have this phone (holds up an LG 8300) and it won't hold a charge.

Me: Alright, well we have a battery for that phone, it will be $X or-

Cust: I'm not paying that! I've been a Verizon customer for 25 years!

Me: Or we could look up your account. If you are still using that phone, chances are you have an upgrade available.

Cust: I'm not signing a new contract. You guys are a rip off with your contracts.

Me: Well then we can offer you the battery for $X, or if you want, you can purchase a phone at retail cost contract free.

Cust: So even though I've been a customer for...
(continues)
mist668

Sep 11, 2009, 1:10 PM
nothing special, exchanges at the most.
SneakyRebelNinja

Sep 11, 2009, 1:12 PM
I wish it was raining here. That would be more entertaining than what's gonig on now. Which is nothing. Except watching people walk up to the Verizon store across the street that's been closed for two months and pull on the door and peer inside. As if they can't read the giant word "CLOSED" that's been painted on the front window. Silly customers.
Menno

Sep 11, 2009, 1:15 PM
we have a Quizno's that's been closed here since.. November? at least three people a day yank on the door trying to open it.

and even better, this place used to be a computer store that had a printer ink refill center... so 2-3 times a week I get people in my store with old cartridges wondering why I don't offer that service anymore.. as they are surrounded by phone displays and walk through a door under a giant verizon sign.
Fredd

Sep 11, 2009, 3:31 PM
Remember that, when P T Barnum coined his famous phrase about one being born every minute, the world population was about 1/5 of what it is today. So that would mean that now one is born every 12 seconds!
ATnT Nokia

Sep 12, 2009, 6:23 AM
People really are stupid. Really stupid. I am observant when I notice a business is closed, I see the signs and get it, so one would assume other people get it, right?! WRONG!
Menno

Sep 11, 2009, 3:17 PM
Cust: I'm a VIP! I need a new phone!

Me: Alright, let me look up your account

It seems that your upgrade date is in December.

Cust: But I'm a VIP, I get special discounts!

Me: Yes, your primary line can upgrade every year, which I see you did in April, but your secondary lines must go for at least 20 months before they are eligible for a discounted price.

Cust: But I've been a verizon customer for 40 months!

Me: but you got new phones less than 20 months ago for a discounted rate.

Cust: So you're not going to give me a new phone?

Me: If you want to purchase on at retail, you can, but if you want to take advantage of your discounts, you'll have to wait until december.

Cust: Fine! I'm going to ATT!

Me: ...
(continues)
ecycled

Sep 11, 2009, 5:42 PM
these ppl suck at life. seriously how do they survive? Cell phones are semi-complicated but they have to have a job that does something and just living can be tough
ecycled

Sep 11, 2009, 3:50 PM
So I went into this store today to get a battery. I'm not in contract and they wouldn't give me one. I mean what is the world coming too. I pay them $100 every month and after all this time they won't give me a free battery. I am unwilling to sign a new contract. I sure as heck won't pay for a battery. These ppl are just gouging us customers. Whatever happened to the customer is always right and keep the customer happy at all cost?! They will go out of business.
Menno

Sep 11, 2009, 3:58 PM
I will keep a customer happy up to an including the point where I break even on the transaction.

If I lose money on the sale, It is not good business sense to "make them happy."

You can keep all your customers happy by giving everything away for free.. but then you'll be out of a job, so where does that get you?
MrGoofball

Sep 11, 2009, 4:24 PM
Wasn't the phrase "The Customer is always right" coined by Montgomery Wards? And didn't Montgomery Wards go out of buisiness in 2001?
ecycled

Sep 11, 2009, 4:34 PM
whoever it was, was going off of the 1950's way of doing business. Only Sears still survives well.
Menno

Sep 11, 2009, 4:43 PM
it should be "Customers are always right, but a customer can often be wrong."
jeffatt

Sep 11, 2009, 5:13 PM
The customer is always right until they start talking.
Verde321

Sep 11, 2009, 9:46 PM
You should have offered to put them through to cancellations. 🙂

Its people like this (note: I didn't say customers...because they aren't) that make me wish I could just say what they needed to hear.

But alas, I'd be fired for that. ☚ī¸
ATnT Nokia

Sep 12, 2009, 6:20 AM
I would have told the customer to suck a nut. Seriously, it's my store and if you wanna be like that, GET OUT!

Though I had to laugh at her "I'm going to Sprint!!" Fine, she will get there and this is what will happen:

Sprint: I understand you don't want to sign a contract, ma'am, but we can't give you these phones at these discounted prices if you don't sign a 2 yr. agreement. We can let you buy the phones at full retail value without having to sign a contract...

Crazy custy: I'm going back to Verizon, I've been a customer for 25 years and I never heard of such craziness!
Menno

Sep 12, 2009, 8:56 AM
you don't want to do that though. Not only are you risking the carrier pulling your ability to sell their product, but as an AUTH Dealer, most of my traffic will come from word of mouth. You don't want to bend over backwards for people, but if possible, you want to make it so when that customer is retelling the story, whoever hears it understands that you're not in the wrong.
IrishCarBomb

Sep 12, 2009, 9:24 AM
No matter what you do, when they retell the story you will end up being in the wrong. If you tell them to f-off, that gets added in, yes, but if you don't, do you really think they will say "They were so nice, and offered me the battery at a major discount, but I still left and went to Sprint because that is not acceptable." Hell no, they won't tell it like that, all they will say is that Verizon and you guys are asses because you wouldn't replace her battery after 20 years of being a loyal customer, and that is BS.

You actually almost have a better shot, with an angry customer like this, telling them to f-off, because when they do retell the story, everyone is going to wonder what craziness they did to get told to f-off.
hereticcavi

Sep 12, 2009, 12:39 PM
lets not forget when you hear a story from a custy and they are relaying what they were "told" if its not in their favor they will probably lie. Ive had countless "they said this and that" then i call "they" and they have no idea what I'm talking about.
BTW when i think of "the customer is always right" I think of Mallrats and the proprietor of the Fashionable Male
ATnT Nokia

Sep 12, 2009, 9:20 PM
Menno said:
you don't want to do that though. Not only are you risking the carrier pulling your ability to sell their product, but as an AUTH Dealer, most of my traffic will come from word of mouth. You don't want to bend over backwards for people, but if possible, you want to make it so when that customer is retelling the story, whoever hears it understands that you're not in the wrong.

I'd be an auth dealer for multiple carriers that and if they questioned me, I'd tell them that the customer was very belligerent and could not have been pleased.
Joe9969

Sep 12, 2009, 12:11 PM
If you come into my store and you need a new battery will do it for free up to four times in one month. Even if its not bad and you need a fully charged one we will do it.
ecycled

Sep 12, 2009, 12:45 PM
Wouldn't you rather sell them a charger? You do sell chargers right?
Drunk

Sep 12, 2009, 12:48 PM
Hello, why yes, yes you do get some free stuff when you are out of contract. Can I interest you in my boot up your ass? With a complementary high five to your face? Or our popular toilet water.
Drunk

Sep 12, 2009, 12:48 PM
sorry we ran out of free batteries
hereticcavi

Sep 12, 2009, 1:04 PM
Water, Like out the toilet?
Drunk

Sep 12, 2009, 1:07 PM
yes

Oh it's some kind of stupid rule, that you can't ignore
Oh, it's some kind of natural fact, that your just left to be alone

baby went to amsterdam put a little money into traveling. Now it's so slow, so slow
ecycled

Sep 12, 2009, 1:33 PM
brawndo the thirst mutilator! its got everything a plant needs
hereticcavi

Sep 12, 2009, 1:44 PM
finally someone got it
ecycled

Sep 12, 2009, 1:55 PM
yeah, and he ruined my house.

Love that movie. The plot and point are awesome but definately a B movie. In my book its a great one. 2 points for Idiocracy. I did buy it. Tell me you don't see this movie coming into a reality?!

have you seen "Lets go to prison" its pretty great too
Menno

Sep 12, 2009, 2:04 PM
SOrry, but if they're not my customer, are refusing to even consider upgrading, why would I take a $35 GP loss (up to 4 times a month) for them when I get no money in return?

I'll help a customer up to and including the point where I make no money (aka, free advice, etc). But if I have to take a loss to help them, there better be a really good reason (they are upgrading all the lines in a week once we get their phones in, etc).
dualitycomplex

Sep 12, 2009, 4:40 PM
A good line to remember is "the customer is not always right, you just have to do right by the customer"

and yea why would you give away 35dollars of your inventory in shrink, here at my store thats considered theft, items have a cost to the store and the customer. If you want to upgrade to a free phone and get a new free battery for it with a new free home charger cool, just sign your new 2 year contract and I'll even help you out the best I can, making senseless demands for free stuff because you have been a customer for 25 years is just absurd where the hell is my free milk mr super market manager I have been buying my cereal here for the past 10 years, and where is my free 12 pack of coke, do you have any idea how much money i spen...
(continues)
Gadget Junky

Sep 13, 2009, 8:33 AM
And whiney. Seriously, "YOU" are not God's gift to the rest of us, shut up and que.
ATnT Nokia

Sep 13, 2009, 9:19 AM
1. Taken down the woman's information.
2. Give her a battery and let her walk out of the store.
3. Picked up the phone dialed the police and said, "Hello, police?! Yes, I'd like to report a robbery!"

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.