Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 18 replies

Let me speak to your manager...

Tmo Slave

Jun 30, 2009, 12:17 PM
I never understand this. I get customers all the time asking to talk to the manager and when I ask them what its regarding they say they just want to speak to the manager. When they finally speak to the manager its usually something stupid that I could have helped them with like an upgrade or a billing issue. Why do people think that they need to skip sales reps and go straight to the manager for everything?
ollywolf

Jun 30, 2009, 12:29 PM
Because they feel that the manager will be able to do things that you can not like get a better deal on a phone or want not.
Tmo Slave

Jun 30, 2009, 1:20 PM
Its stupid because the manager usually hands off the customer to us anyways. Plus people need to get it through their thick skulls that a manager is not going to give you a better deal.
ollywolf

Jun 30, 2009, 2:32 PM
We both know that but the custy is totally stupid and can not comprehend that.
mrpmpfan

Jul 1, 2009, 2:02 PM
I personally refuse customers the ability to speak to my manager until they verify their account and give me the reason for their visit/call.

This usually gets them upset but quite frankly I don't care. My manager hates taking blind conversations with customers.
ollywolf

Jul 2, 2009, 8:29 AM
I don't the same thing. I believe if you want to talk to my manager then you will tell what the problem is and let me pull up your account frist. Most managers will not talk to a customer without knowing what is going on frist.
Menno

Jun 30, 2009, 12:57 PM
I mainly have this when I am charging a price for something they don't agree with.

If they are being difficult in the store, my manager increases the price by $15 if they insist on talking to him.
ollywolf

Jun 30, 2009, 2:33 PM
That is evil and yet I like that idea. 🤣
GraGG

Jul 1, 2009, 2:07 PM
just tell them you have an escalation process and must atleast try to help them before you get your manager...
PhonemanJ

Jul 1, 2009, 4:34 PM
It is unfortunate, but the reason that a lot of customers aske for the manager is because they have had a bad experience at some stores (not necessarily wireless) and found that the manager of the store is the only person in the store with good sense and can help them. They probably don't know that most carriers actually train their people so that we can get done just about anything that they need doing for them.
GraGG

Jul 1, 2009, 4:37 PM
Or they already know they are asking for something that cannot get 😳
PhonemanJ

Jul 1, 2009, 5:54 PM
True, so true.
ac4321

Jul 3, 2009, 11:06 PM
I usually reply something like, "well, okay, but I can probably fix it much faster for you. I'm pretty good at what I do and if it's something that needs a manager it'll be quicker if I analyze it and let them know what to do."

If they insist, I'll ask them to go have a seat while I get the manager on duty. I let the manager know they have a customer waiting, then I go help the next customer. It's really funny when you're finished with the next customer before the manager comes out (less than ten minutes) and they sheepishly concede that you probably can help them.
matonater

Jul 4, 2009, 10:10 AM
I AM YO MANAGER
SprintBGN

Jul 4, 2009, 11:04 AM
when i was a subordinate, I would never let them get to the manager....then I would give them the run around just for being a douche
jackrabbit6179

Jul 8, 2009, 9:12 AM
If that aggravates you, it may be interesting to note that Consumer Reports actually advised their subscribers to do just that: ask for a manager.
Cellinovation

Jul 18, 2009, 8:01 PM
Consumer reports has a long list of things they need to learn about the cell industry. The can start by not giving horrible advice to their readers. All of whom will blindly trust anything with the word consumer in it!

I mean seriously have you ever read an article from consumer reports on the products you sell? Complete Garbage!
SneakyRebelNinja

Jul 18, 2009, 7:02 PM
My personal favorite is when I argue with a customer for 10+ minutes and then they ask for a manager, to which I reply one of the following:

1- "I am the manager." Which is true. This usually results in them turning red and leaving. My favorite.

2- I stare at them for five seconds or so as I slowly raise my name tag, which underneath my name reads "Store Manager". I tend to only use this with a customer who's not extremely upset, as I've had people come across my counter at me for being a smart ass. Which is also true.
Cellinovation

Jul 18, 2009, 8:04 PM
Both options are quite fun!
By corporate policy I need a physical signature of the account holder for any contract related changes wich also requires then to have their ID on them.
I explain this to a customer and they become irate! I mean really, its not even your accout, what right do you have to be mad.
This usually follows with a call from the "account holder" telling me They talked with the carrier and they tell them I will do it or be fired.. LOL.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.