Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 16 replies

Increasing traffic

Menno

Apr 30, 2009, 4:27 PM
I work at an Indirect verizon store. we are located on a "strip mall" next to a wal mart (the closest thing to a shopping center this area has).

Besides wal-mart, there are two other indirect kiosks located within 5 miles of our location (they are in "malls" which are realistically a strip mall with a covered walkway. Both stores have been here for at least 3 years, but they both have a negative reputation with a lot of customers.

The nearest corp location is about an hour away.

We opened last july, and always had trouble getting enough traffic in the store to hit the numbers we're expected. I know that these past few months are tough on everyone, but we can go for days now without having a single customer come into the store LOO...
(continues)
Juanbyjuan

Apr 30, 2009, 4:35 PM
Have a 25% off day and advertise the crap out of it. Try to make the customer happy and steal the other vendors customers. Hang out around their store and tell the customer the better service you can offer.
Sgt. Rodney Farva

May 1, 2009, 7:34 AM
"Hang out around their store and tell the customer the better service you can offer."

In our area thats illegal, I actually filed a complaint that got a similiar person fired for this. When signing lease contracts, most locations sign a zoning agreement against similiar sales locations. Not all places have this, but this area he speaks of does.
Juanbyjuan

May 1, 2009, 4:56 PM
wow... crazy.
GraGG

Apr 30, 2009, 4:40 PM
balloons? 😕
Menno

Apr 30, 2009, 5:31 PM
We also have a Dunkin Donuts in our strip mall, not 8 miles from the busiest dunkin in the country, and they barely have enough in sales to break even.
OfAMightDivine

Apr 30, 2009, 4:40 PM
... start reading the older posts in Shop Talk more, or do a few searches. This topic has been brought up so many times you'll be sure to find something.
Menno

Apr 30, 2009, 5:56 PM
I understand that... you know what I found?

Stuff about kiosks, standing next to the highway naked, some big rant about quotas. There was a useful post from 2006, but that devolved into people saying go outside nakid

Our issue here isn't closing sales, it is getting people to realize we exist. Word of mouth is powerful, but a huge chunk of our foot traffic right how are people with technical issues, bill pays, and customers coming in for "exception" upgrades that we can't process... that is NOT the type of word of mouth we want.

We are looking into putting up a sign on a 40foot pylon, but that will be several months down the road. What I am nervous about though is that in a few months, I might be managing my store in anothe...
(continues)
frontncenter

May 1, 2009, 6:18 PM
One thing I did was a free bluetooth raffle. Totally free. Everyone wants a free Jawbone2. Then we used the information on the raffle tickets (number, address, email) to market the **** out of our store. At least we were noticed
jessicad

May 2, 2009, 9:58 AM
We've been doing raffles as well. One was for a free bluetooth and the other was 2 free tickets to a local event that included dinner, ****tails and entertainment.
PhonemanJ

Apr 30, 2009, 6:04 PM
I would assume that the Wal-Mart should have decent traffic. I would ask their manager if it would be ok to put out flyers on customer's windshields and put them out 2-3 times per day. You don't have to run any super-duper special, just put whatever your store is running at the time on the flyer. You can put business cards on the flyer so that people have your name when they come in the store. You could do something special such as 10% off accessories with flyer or something like that. You can run off a lot of basic flyers for not a lot of money and that may work better than the big balloon or something like that to attract attention.
Menno

Apr 30, 2009, 6:21 PM
They do. I've talked with the Walmart manager a few times. He's not exactly friendly to us because he takes his cellphone sales seriously.

I'm meeting with the guy who owns the shopping center sometime next week. I'll ask him about possibly putting up some larger advertisements up, as well as if he has any plans for a shopping center add because everyone is suffering.
WorldSoCold

May 1, 2009, 12:57 PM
yeah except, walmart also sells verizon and i believe that is a conflict of interest.
Sgt. Rodney Farva

May 1, 2009, 7:36 AM
more people here read the paper then watch tv, the company just needs to squeeze a quarter out of their butts and do some advertising.

When your not busy, why not print flyers or door hangers? I KNOW the store isn't busy 😁
frontncenter

May 1, 2009, 6:23 PM
Oh yeah, networking too. I would also meet with other business owners and do business with them even if they were a little more expensive than wal-mart. Stay friendly with Wal-mart but dont do them any favors. Local restaurants have the same problems too and would appreciate the help too. Its all about good business and networking
Menno

May 2, 2009, 9:18 AM
Flyers that say "We'll match any price" when we are literally in wal-marts parking lot?

$30 Curves and $5 chargers does not a profit make.
jessicad

May 2, 2009, 10:03 AM
We also do cell phone classes 1 night per month and that seems to be increasing business. The customers like knowing that we will be there for them if they have problems. Then the word of mouth increases.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.