Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 15 replies

I probably shouldn't have said this...

C0braC0mmander

Feb 25, 2009, 6:28 PM
But I got a laugh out of it anyway.

So I'm sitting in the mall kiosk today, and we had a guy in a FedEx uniform walk up.

I say hello, and he tells me that he needs to buy prepaid minutes from ****Wireless. I point to my nametag and inform him that we're not ****Wireless, but ****Cellular.

He laughs, apologizes, asks where ****Wireless is, and I tell him that it's down the hall.

While he's walking away, I had one of those moments where by mouth was working faster than my brain, and I say, "On your way back, would you mind bringing us some UPS boxes by?"

He stops, turns around, and says, "UPS? I'm Fed... Oh, I see what you did there."
BLEDSOE

Feb 25, 2009, 6:39 PM
i like it!!! 😳 😉
sweetcherrygurl

Feb 25, 2009, 8:02 PM
thats AWESOME i want to do that now 😉 haha
WZ_agent

Feb 25, 2009, 8:12 PM
just had a drunk lady fight me that Verizon IS Tmobile...

and good on you for your Fedex / UPS crack
Guy Montag

Feb 25, 2009, 9:18 PM
I had a guy tell me that VZW and AT&T use the same towers and he knows, because he works on them. It didn't give me much faith in our field techs... I really wanted to ask him why, if we used the same towers, does it take AT&T twice as many towers to operate as it does VZW let alone get into CDMA vs GSM. Ultimately I figured this guy wasn't work wasting time over.
purplelotus

Feb 25, 2009, 9:24 PM
I would have laughed that guy out of the store! GSM and CDMA networks utilize cell phone towers in ways that are so different from each other, it's virtually impossible for a CDMA network to have a roaming agreement with a GSM network!

That being said, it's actually Sprint that has a roaming agreement with Verizon. Also, the reason I kind of chuckle at customers whwo say their service on Verizon was SOOOOO much better than their service with Sprint.
Guy Montag

Feb 25, 2009, 9:46 PM
Lol, exactly. This guy was a know it all, so I figured let it go or lose an hour.
Fredd

Mar 3, 2009, 12:04 PM
Well, you could mount POP's from both carriers on the same physical tower.....but that guy proved he was an idiot quickly!
ac4321

Feb 26, 2009, 1:33 PM
Different carriers often colocate on a 3rd party owned tower. Sometimes the 3rd party even does maintenance for any/all of them. Not always the case, but it happens. Being on a same tower, though, doesn't make the signals interoperable.
Pious Goddess

Feb 26, 2009, 2:03 PM
Same thing I heard. A field tech was telling me that we build towers and sell them to these 3rd party companies. And I've only been told once from a field tech that AT&T and Verizon shared a tower, though I'm still lost as to how.
OfAMightDivine

Feb 26, 2009, 2:13 PM
A tower is just a piece of steel or aluminum.

They simply rent out the tower space for the Carriers to put a Transmitter on them. I know a few out in the sticks out here have more than 2 transmitters on them.
Guy Montag

Feb 26, 2009, 5:19 PM
Right, the problem here wasn't that they shared towers, but that the guy was suggesting they had the same coverage as a result of shared towers.
Big Poppa

Mar 5, 2009, 12:01 PM
actually in a way they do "share" towers. One tower could have multiple carrier broadcasting antennas on them. That is why you see multiple antennas on a lot of towers. They lease space on it.
dshearn

Mar 10, 2009, 12:19 PM
there are duel use towers, so the guy very well might have worked on towers that had both.

We have several here that hold both.

There are companys that build duel-use towers and then lease them out to the big 4.
KingTiger

Feb 26, 2009, 2:48 PM
That is hilarious 🤣 good job.
smiliey

Mar 2, 2009, 2:46 PM
dude that is soo effing awesome. i just lol'd and my coworker was like, "what are you looking at?" and he frolicked over to my screen. lol

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.