Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 15 replies

I am Baffeled

T-Monster

Dec 1, 2008, 10:34 AM
I just had a customer who is a hiker, Canoer, all around outdoors-man. He's walking around with literally the oldest phone I've ever seen. It's a dual band digital/analog phone with a black and white display, enormous battery, pullout antenna, etc. He pays $20 a month for 250 minutes a year. He wanted a better plan with a better phone, but the three requirements he gave me I couldn't get him. Not only couldn't I get them for him, I didn't even know what phones offered by ANYBODY could get it to him. He needs reception in the middle of the woods, an incredible battery life on standby, and GPS...and i'm not talking turn by turn directions...i mean latitude and longitude GPS for while he's out in the middle of nowhere. does anyone know ANY phon...
(continues)
devilsmafia

Dec 1, 2008, 10:45 AM
A sattelite phone maybe? Not sure if they can do the lat and long gps but that may be the best option for him.
WhoDey

Dec 1, 2008, 11:04 AM
It would help if we knew the carrier.
oldbluebox

Dec 1, 2008, 11:15 AM
Well uh, the posters name is T-Monster

So like...maybe T-Mobile?

Geez, you're like one of my customers.
T-Monster

Dec 1, 2008, 11:41 AM
It doesn't matter what carrier. This guy needs a specific feature that no carrier on any phone seems to offer.
devilsmafia

Dec 1, 2008, 12:02 PM
I'm pretty sure a Satellite phone would be in his best interest but I have no clue where you would even get something like that.

I'm sure this customer knows that none of the major carriers can offer what he needs since he's had that phone of his forever. He's probably just busting your balls in hopes that might give him some info that will help him find what he needs.
brentgodwin

Dec 1, 2008, 1:26 PM
Satellite phone is his only option for the coverage and bettery life he needs..I know of nothing that has the true GPS feature..

Globalstar or Iridium..

Tell him that he had better be prepared to spend $300 plus for the phone..The plan is more spendy..I think Globalstar has a plan that is $65 bucks/mo for 150 min? Voice mail is included
TMoGuy

Dec 2, 2008, 3:02 PM
I would take a look at the Sony Ericson TM506.
It has GPS and I believe will show LAT and LONG. Battery life standby is around 14 days with very limited usage. Of course using that GPS will nothelp the battery life at all but that's what he wants right? As far as service is concerned then yes it would be a carrier concern. More than likely your best results will be with a CDMA phone like Verizon or Alltel, but I don't think you will need cell service to use the GPS since it's cmoin straight from the satelitte. Take a look at that phone and see what you think.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 2, 2008, 6:19 PM
Hmmm, that is a tough one... I know that on my BB with GPS I can get lat lon no problem, even with no tower coverage. Of course, battery life is not going to be anywhere near what he is looking for.

I heard a couple folk say sat phone, and that is his best option. As an avid outdoors men myself, and someone that has done some pretty intense trips(Outback trip, tons of Rockies trips, Canada, and Alaska) our only option was a sat phone.

I am not sure on the provider information, a friend of mine I went with was in charge of the sat phone because he is insanely wealthy and offered to take care of it. I would just google sat phone for that info.

And to cover the GPS, it would be best to get a stand alone GPS unit. They are more acc...
(continues)
Nadesico81

Dec 4, 2008, 3:58 AM
Depends on the handset so your right ATT would be out since they do not use GPS on most of their phones.

I would ask the person where he is going to use the phone the most. Sounds dumb and I know you may have asked it.

Worse case set him up with the most basic durable phone you got. Be sure to see him an extra battery. If you good set him up with a new GPS unit if you work for The Shack or Electric store.

I have found the stupid simple phones then to be more durable then the more expensive phones. However, having a built in GPS is a plus but 99.9% of US customer would never use an outdoor topographical map.

I mean come on if this person is a true outdoorsman and he should be able to read a map and compass. Anyone who spent ti...
(continues)
VOICE OF REASON

Dec 4, 2008, 3:47 PM
phones offer the gps service you speak of.... but as far as battery life and usability in the woods...... 🤣
MrGoofball

Dec 4, 2008, 5:34 PM
Samsung Rugby with ATT would have the gps but I don't know if it has coordinate gps on it. And he's gonna have a heck of a time having a phone with that long of standby in BFE unless he only turns it on to use it cause he's gonna have low signal if he's in the middle of no where anyway and that'll eat his battery faster as the phone tries to find signal. Idk sell him a phone and 12 batteries that he can swap out as they die?
lilfroggy

Dec 4, 2008, 8:50 PM
rugby's gps doesn't work well in low signal, that's straight from samsung, had a guy call warranty 5 days after getting it because he had issues connecting. the antenna isn't strong enough
Saint.Patrick

Dec 4, 2008, 9:21 PM
No North American wireless carrier has as an extensive or multitude library of GPS/LBS services as well as 810F (military specifications) wireless devices as Sprint Nextel. Even when off the Sprint Nextel iDEN network, the majority of the current Motorola iDEN handsets support DirectTalk.
kickmeoffphonescoop

Dec 4, 2008, 10:36 PM
Someone has to be the cheerleader for the Detroit Lions.
ajlineman

Dec 4, 2008, 11:12 PM
LOL! Truth be told.
Hey WAIT! I have Sprint...
Eh, guess I'm okay with being a loser for now... contract almost up though 😁

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.