Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 10 replies

Swollen Battery

Santi

Oct 9, 2008, 8:47 AM
Hi all. I just had a customer come in and said he needed a new battery. I saw it was a Motorola 323i phone, and I knew they had recalled those batteries if they met the specifications. He hands me the phone. The back is popped out like no other, and the flip doesn't even shut all the way. I tried to take the back off, but it wasn't working too well. I asked him to do it for me because I didn't want to break it, but he said he can't ever get it. So I grab a paperclip and get to work. I figure he'd dropped it and the back was stuck on. When I finally get it off, it was the most swollen battery I've ever seen! Like, CRAZY swollen! So anyway, he asked if leaving the phone in the car can cause the battery to do that. I told him yes, but I don't r...
(continues)
cellularconnection

Oct 9, 2008, 9:07 AM
Yes it can. Leaving a phone on a charger like that can cause it to over charge, especially on cheaper models. This will cause the battery to swell. This is why there is the "spin test." If you place the battery on the counter and it spins more than a few times, it's most likely fried.

Motorola phones are notorious for bad batteries as well. It seems that 85% of the customers I see with battery issues are using a Motorola phone.

One of the many reasons I try stearing customers away from those phones.
BigShowJB

Oct 9, 2008, 10:14 AM
that's what we get when Motorola buys cheap batteries made in china, instead of good batteries made in American and other western nations with a highly skilled workforce
cellularconnection

Oct 9, 2008, 11:29 AM
No, it's what we get when American consumers demand free phones and companies have to cut corners to meet the demand.

You do realize that most items produced overseas could not be produced in the US and other "western" nations for anywhere near the same price, even if they paid all the employees nothing.

Americans demand high quality products, and "Made in America bull*(&^" (Toyota is more American than any GM/Ford car). but they want everything for nothing. You can't have you cake and eat it too. If you want a high quality made in america product, you demand one and also pay the higher price associated with it. You don't demand better for less and expect your demands to be met.

Demanding high quality american pricing at rock bo...
(continues)
kapwww

Oct 9, 2008, 5:28 PM
Well said...
golem22

Oct 9, 2008, 8:30 PM
That and at this point the Chinese make things with pretty close to the same quality as north America... Besides that i can pretty much guarantee that most phones no matter the maker use Chinese batteries... Its just Motorola uses a less expensive manufacturer and it shows
almostdone

Oct 9, 2008, 1:02 PM
It's liquid damaged. Take a battery from a broken phone and drop it in some water and then watch is swell.
Santi

Oct 9, 2008, 1:03 PM
Then how is the dot not red?
almostdone

Oct 9, 2008, 1:08 PM
It happens, I've had customers bring in phones that are not working and show no sign of LD, so I send the phone out for repair. When the phone comes back the techs say there is corrosion inside the phone. If the sticker doesn't get wet it doesn't turn red, maybe the phone wasn't submerged only spilled on.
golem22

Oct 9, 2008, 8:31 PM
maybe they dropped the battery in the toilet (or other local source of water...)
ac4321

Oct 9, 2008, 6:07 PM
Leaving a phone in a car exposes it to wide temperature and humidity swings. There's usually a sticker or notice on batteries/phones/electronics warning against that, recommending keeping them in room temperature.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.