Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 33 replies

phone book transfers

vreaper

Jul 13, 2008, 11:23 AM
alright, tell me wut u guys think.

i've had 3 customers so far today that came in to transfer their contact lists and every one of them is shocked when i tell them there is a $10 fee to do that.

first lady was understanding. after the initial shock she agreed to pay the ten dollars and even bought a leather case as well.

the second customer just claimed that the other store did it for free and i told her she was more than welcome to go there if that was the case. i did offer her the discounted price of $5 which she still didn't take but whatever.

the third guy gets all kinds of upset and starts going off about how his phone is on an important corporate account and his family share plan is verizon as well and unless i give it to...
(continues)
cellphoneguy26

Jul 13, 2008, 11:30 AM
Only for people i know and like other than that they either pay or get out of my face so i can continue to post on PS
phonemechanic

Jul 13, 2008, 11:33 AM
If they bawk at the price, I explain to them that it's a service that we charge for unless they're a VIP member. If they want to pay it, then great, if not, they can do it themselves with Backup Assistant
cellphoneguy26

Jul 13, 2008, 11:40 AM
Ya know what that would be a good one tell them if you wanna be a VIP member its 70.00 a year but you get pbt's for free and no Upgrade fees for the whole year
j-villa

Jul 13, 2008, 11:52 AM
If they buy a phone up or new. I usually will give them one for free.

If they come up with a phone from an insurance claim. I will do it everytime for free.

If it's random and they just want it done. Sorry it's ten bucks.
cellfiend

Jul 13, 2008, 12:42 PM
Are you doing GSM or CDMA?
The Hammer

Jul 13, 2008, 1:10 PM
he's more than likely cdma, he said he was with verizon
cellfiend

Jul 13, 2008, 5:06 PM
The Hammer said:
he's more than likely cdma, he said he was with verizon

Sorry I didn't notice the Verizon comment. In that case no machine = ****ed. What he can do is tell customers to use a program like BitPim if they have usb cables or blue tooth functionality with their PCs to transfer the numbers.
d3ity

Jul 15, 2008, 4:49 PM
*warranty voided*

ah well, i got a free pbt and bricked my phone!

seriously, idk how you can brick your phone with bitpim other than deleting folders...
Caucasian

Jul 13, 2008, 1:19 PM
If you're a third party vendor, charge the piss out of them. It's how you make money. And if you're required to use a Cell-e-brite machine then even more so, those things aren't exactly cheap nor are replacement cables and whatnot. Only time I could see any different is if they come in and blow their wad on phones and accessories. Then I'm sure you could negate it.

If you're corporate, I can see not doing it. We haven't charged for those in years (minus the real DBs). Most of our phones can bluetooth contacts though, even the low end stuff. It's faster and they can do it on their own. Teach a man to fish.
The Hammer

Jul 13, 2008, 1:21 PM
Caucasian said:
if they come in and blow their wad on phones and accessories. Then I'm sure you could negate it.

if a custy does that, then im gnna call the cops
Caucasian

Jul 13, 2008, 1:28 PM
The Hammer said:
Caucasian said:
if they come in and blow their wad on phones and accessories. Then I'm sure you could negate it.

if a custy does that, then im gonna get a camera and join in.

Fixed this for you.
The Hammer

Jul 13, 2008, 2:20 PM
how'd you know 😁
Caucasian

Jul 13, 2008, 2:22 PM
Because everyone is into cellular bukkake.
The Hammer

Jul 13, 2008, 2:23 PM
well of course, it's the best kind
d3ity

Jul 15, 2008, 4:51 PM
F**king wow.
BigShowJB

Aug 23, 2008, 9:25 AM
especially our bosses.. they A$$rape us every paychck anyway, why not give them cellular bukkake as a hobby too!!
lscarb85

Jul 13, 2008, 2:03 PM
Do you use a Cellebrite to do transfers or an actual compuiter? If you're doing it using a CelleBrite there shouldn't be a charge b/c it only takes about 2 min.
llama

Jul 13, 2008, 2:04 PM
If it's a walkup, I charge, if it's a customer with a transaction, I usually don't.
Not my real name

Jul 16, 2008, 4:17 PM
Agreed.
Caucasian

Jul 13, 2008, 2:25 PM
Cell-e-brite machines cost a grip. I'm sorry but 90% of handsets can be synced either by PC or EAS to backup information. If you don't use it, you're a 'tard. EAS is the best way, you can hard reset your phone and not even be close to a computer, I can have my contacts in 10 minutes.
d3ity

Jul 15, 2008, 4:52 PM
Yeah, 2 minutes... sure, when this idiot has 1839824398076 pictures. tying up my machine because he bought his phones online while I have paying customers waiting... and then he doesn't buy a ****in thing?

False.
cellsellphones

Jul 14, 2008, 8:14 AM
The only time we'll charge is if they aren't with our carrier. Weird to think people charge 10 bucks for that.. 👀
krickt

Jul 16, 2008, 2:21 PM
Amen, but we just raised our price to $20, for all other carriers. It's more of a don't bother me kind of thing, than a money maker, and since my carrier (I'm an agent) bought my most recent Cellebrite, I don't have a problem with letting our custies do PBTs for free. Up until that point, I charged everyone except those who had bought their phones in my store.
d3ity

Jul 15, 2008, 4:56 PM
If they don't like the $10 fee... you can always tell them they are welcome to get the machine and do it themselves....

http://cgi.ebay.com/CelleBrite-UME-36-Pro-Universal- ... »
krickt

Jul 16, 2008, 2:22 PM
Is it still $1200? I haven't priced one out! I have a used 24 for sale.
k
ajstrong

Jul 15, 2008, 5:51 PM
if they didn't buy from us, it's $10. we can do pics as well, and my managers say and EXTRA $10 for that, so.... $20 for pics and contacts. that raises a few eyebrows/voices. I recently switched markets, tho, and my new market has alot more CS, and since there's a stiff competition between the stores, I don't charge nearly as often as I would in my other market, just to differentiate my stores from others.
daffy621

Aug 22, 2008, 8:11 PM
Maybe it's just me, and maybe because as the owner of our store I'm the guy who had to shell out the $1200 for this unit BUT, to NOT charge someone for this service? That is just ludicrous. I've read all the posts and the excuses for not paying I've heard before. It only takes a minute, I work for one of your corporate clients.....etc, etc.

Let's say you spent $300,000.00 on your Ivy League education and are a top lawyer. Are you going to create a power of attorney for someone without charge, because it only takes your legal secretary a minute to enter the clients name into the macro of your form document? Right, I didn't think so. You can expect to charge full fare. If the client pays you a retainer, you may cut him a break now an...
(continues)
Milkballz

Aug 23, 2008, 8:36 AM
Although its a pain we always do it for free.
Pretty Keeley

Aug 23, 2008, 9:04 AM
But I tell ya what! I wish we did! A lot of people assume it costs, and are willing to pay it because it's so important to them.
If I were you, I wouldn't break down. If it's that important to them, they'll pay it. Otherwise it's 5 hours of their time trying to enter in all of the contacts (because for some reason, it seems like nobody knows how to do it!)
nothing4free

Aug 23, 2008, 9:22 AM
service related...phone book transfers, any type of equipment matenience or customer education...nothing...not a single dime...and we are required to turn down an offer...and we rarely charge for sim cards unless the custy is being a douche...if the phone was bought from another store or online we can charge them a $25 service fee...which we never do in the name of "customer service"...seeing as though 95% of our customers are just service customers we never make any money...and they wonder why our store sucks...
Hombre07

Aug 23, 2008, 9:44 AM
Although your store may have awful sales numbers other stores should be looking at the way you do things and take note.

BTW, your name is so um, different, from your store policy.
nothing4free

Aug 23, 2008, 9:48 AM
yeah i know...we do have high standards in customer service and once in a while we'll have a few service customers come back to upgrade or activate and it benefits in the long run...but my theory is why tell us we can charge for these things but in the same breath tell us it's better customer service not to?
and nothing is EVER free...ever
Duct Taper

Aug 23, 2008, 10:05 AM
My center doesnt charge for it, AT&T doesnt charge, VZ Does. My opinion is that we should charge because it takes time away from processing exchanges, and if they dont back up thier numbers on thier sim, its a courtesy we even offer that option. If they are that important to get them on the new phone there should be a charge associated with it.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.