all discussions

show all 21 replies

To the person(s) telling people GSM phones can be activated on CDMA networks:

phonemechanic

Jun 21, 2008, 7:18 PM
STOP IT! 👿 👿 👿
llama

Jun 21, 2008, 7:28 PM
but they can, because they know someone that knows someone that heard someone did it with an iPhone.
phonemechanic

Jun 21, 2008, 7:36 PM
Ya know, you're not that far off there. I've been hearing this a lot recently, but today was a new one. According to this guy, he was looking to buy a Sidekick from a friend which was currently activated on Alltel and was wondering if he could use it with VZW.
eljeffe666

Jun 21, 2008, 7:40 PM
i actually had a friend tell me that the CS rep told her that she could use a gsm phone on her verizon acct

i really wish i knew who it was cause i would pound the crap out of them
llama

Jun 21, 2008, 7:42 PM
of course you can...
llama

Jun 21, 2008, 7:43 PM
I mean people that don't do this for a living always know all about what we do for a living, right?
lilfroggy

Jun 22, 2008, 12:01 PM
I've activated a verizon phone on alltel before.
Bozothecellguy

Jun 22, 2008, 12:03 PM
lilfroggy said:
I've activated a verizon phone on alltel before.

but both are cdma right?
liquidfire

Jun 22, 2008, 12:06 PM
yes
lilfroggy

Jun 22, 2008, 12:07 PM
yes but the previous post that i replied to mentioned using an alltel phone on verizon didn't really pertain to the gsm side.
MrGoofball

Jun 23, 2008, 8:27 AM
Uh yes it did. It specifically mentioned a Sidekick which is a Tmobile only phone. You do know Tmobile is a GSM carrier right?😛
VictorZuluWhiskey

Jun 21, 2008, 7:51 PM
this is a little off base but ..... there is some sort of application you can get for your iPhone (when it has been"jail broke") that will allow you to call someone and make it look as if it were someone else calling... kinda crazy this guy i work with did it to me (i work @ a c city) made it llok like one of my coworkers was calling man teenage prank calling has reached a whole new level!
Bozothecellguy

Jun 22, 2008, 12:04 PM
there are many hacks out there to pull pranks, like i have a bluetooth hack that allows me to call anyone from a paired bluetooth phone
kapwww

Jun 22, 2008, 3:37 PM
There was a company calling me for a while trying to convince me to buy their "spoofcard" product that would allow people to fake caller id when they called. I wanted no part of it. Imagine the trouble people would cause...
eljeffe666

Jun 21, 2008, 7:30 PM
at least i know im not the only one getting that
OfAMightDivine

Jun 22, 2008, 11:49 AM
I've told customers that before. Not because I don't know that GSM won't work on a CDMA network, but rather because I was damn tired of arguing with retarded customers insisting that a GSM will work on CDMA.

So now I tell them twice that GSM phones cannot work on CDMA, after the third time, I'll agree with them and let them believe whatever they want. Let them spend a a few hundred for a phone they can't use.
liquidfire

Jun 22, 2008, 12:08 PM
gotta love the artards that think they know what they are talking about even tho they have no clue and refuse to listen to reason. they think that because they want to do it and it will get them what they want and they think they are pulling one over on someone, that it can be done and e just lie to them because we want to make a sale 🙄
Bozothecellguy

Jun 22, 2008, 12:02 PM
I even have some customers that I have challenged to bring me in a gsm phone that is activated on a cdma network and I would PERSONALLY pay for 3 months of their service.
cellfiend

Jun 22, 2008, 2:19 PM
I just say no and so far everyone has beleived me.
kapwww

Jun 22, 2008, 3:40 PM
I will usually try to explain it like speaking two different languages such as English and French. Totally different. I then explain that there is no translator available to make one phone speak to the other network. That usually sinks in with most of them. If they still don't get it, I tell them good luck.
llama

Jun 22, 2008, 3:42 PM
I use the AM/FM radio analogy.
kapwww

Jun 22, 2008, 3:52 PM
But one physical radio can still get both types with the push of a button or flick of a switch, so where is the button or switch on my cell phone? 😁 Just kidding. It's fun to play "Dumb Customer" from time to time.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.