Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 11 replies

An AT&T vs. T-Mobile question...

kickmeoffphonescoop

Apr 30, 2008, 12:30 PM
I keep noticing that in Consumer Reports and JD Power that T-Mobile keeps ranking higher in consumer satifaction. I can't really figure out why.

AT&T operates a larger network, and from what I can see, probably has better total coverage. (Seriosuly though, I don't know who has to most "coverage", because there could be about 6,000 arguements made in 6,000 directions.)

It's plans are more expensive that T-Mobile's, but they are aligned with Verizon's, so it's not like they're unheard of.

I recently learned that T-Mobile has something called a Flex-Program, which is essentially pre-paid with a contract.

Then it all kinda clicked in my head.

Are a majority of T-Mobile customers bumping up the ratings, simply because they're happy...
(continues)
OfAMightDivine

Apr 30, 2008, 12:46 PM
I used to work with T-Mobile. Customers are the same. I think the real thing (at least when I worked with them) is that T-Mobile generally cares for it's employees. They had alot of fun programs, lots of employee contests. I always thought the best thing was that T-Mobile though did NOT tolerate abuse of it's employees. They allowed (or still do) reps to use kinda like a 3 strike rule. Custie cusses at you 3 times after warnings, and you get to disconnect the line. It cuts WAY down on employee stress. TONS better than sitting there knowing you have to tolerate the abuse. More content, happy employees = better production = more happy, content customers. Could be that since the reps aren't as bitter, they're more likely to take care of their c...
(continues)
kickmeoffphonescoop

Apr 30, 2008, 1:22 PM
That makes a lot more sense. I wish I could cut people off at 3 strikes. People don't generally cuss or threaten me personally here at the store. I'm a big guy, and if someone does decide to throw a fit, I just stand a little closer and look down. That usually calms them down. LOL.

The other reps here have some issues with customers, but we try to resolve it the best we can.

Your theory about abuse makes a lot of sense though.
charliegirl

Apr 30, 2008, 3:00 PM
It's true, T-Mobile does do a lot for it's employees and dealers. Plus a lot of the Reps are constantly visiting indirect stores to keep them updated so less customer dissatification. They also require that each customer due a survey before they leave the store. Each bad survey a store gets a Rep will visit them immediately and fix the problem or drop them.
joeneaves2005

Apr 30, 2008, 1:39 PM
Its T-Mobiles approach to customer service. Please the employee, get happy customers.
Tmo Slave

Apr 30, 2008, 6:47 PM
Its got a lot to do with the way they have changed their commision structure. Its no longer just hammer out acts as fast as possible. We get paid more the better our customer rate us. So the reps are going to make sure that their custies are happy.(with in reason)

Plus dealing with customer care the reps tend to try and help the customer as much as possible, with in their abilities. As long as the customer is not a raging A-hole.
Nikoletta

May 1, 2008, 5:05 PM
Another factor is our Customer Relations manager type (I forget her name and official job title but it has to do with making sure customers are happy.) Anyway... the woman is insane about her job (the good version) from what I have heard she made it her personal goal in life (like her calling) to get T-Mobile to the top, to have the #1 rating... not just in the industry but out of all companies in the country. So we have at least one person in a serious position of authority who will do almost anything to make the company the best possible.

Combine the fact that we have an overall company goal to be the best with the fact that employees ARE treated better than most any company out there AND the fact that we usually charge a little less ...
(continues)
OfAMightDivine

May 1, 2008, 11:12 PM
Now that I think about it, I kinda miss working with T-Mobile. When they said they wanted to be the best, it was because they wanted to be THE BEST. And they said it with conviction.

I remember seeing a video from T-Mobile when I think it was their second JD Powers award in a row for best Customer Service. They were actually excited about it. And not that fake "I'm excited about it because I have to be" type of excited.

I personally think the other carriers who claim to be the best or want to be the best, usually only say it because it's a good marketing slogan.
ihateeverything

May 1, 2008, 7:26 PM
kickmeoffphonescoop said:
I keep noticing that in Consumer Reports and JD Power that T-Mobile keeps ranking higher in consumer satifaction. I can't really figure out why.

Tmobile has the best customer service, that is why.

AT&T operates a larger network, and from what I can see, probably has better total coverage. (Seriosuly though, I don't know who has to most "coverage", because there could be about 6,000 arguements made in 6,000 directions.)

They are both GSM carriers. It is the exact same network. They roam off each other's towers when one of them is not available.

It's plans are more expensive that T-Mobile's, but they are aligned with Verizon's, so it
(continues)
ihateeverything

May 1, 2008, 7:33 PM
deutschland knows how to treat people
TMobRep

May 3, 2008, 8:35 PM
it all has to do with the level of service, all those awards we keep winning are customer service, and customer satisfaction awards, t-mob cust serv reps are some of the friendliest and forgiving reps in the industry, ive worked for t-mob, at&t, and cingular, and had my obligatory experience with Sprint as a cust a few years back 🤭 and the mob is by far the best in my opinion, and i never have to worry about a merger 😉
downphoenix

May 3, 2008, 9:24 PM
I can think of a couple reasons:

1)T-mobile and AT&T have roaming contracts together, so issues of coverage are almost negligible, AT&T may have a slight edge, but we're probabl talking less than 1% of the total GSM coverage area in the US

2)T-mobile is cheaper, as you mentioned (exception would be if an AT&T customer bundled their phone with other services like home phone or internet, then the price difference probably isn't much if any)

3)The phone advantage that AT&T has is negligible because of sim cards, you can take any AT&T phone to T-Mobile or vice versa, as long as you dont mind losing some functionality.

4)T-Mobile has higher rated customer service, and its not just T-Mobile customers "bumping it up", it's industry prov...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.